Thread: Wu-Tang at Newcastle O2 Academy

Thumbs up Wu-Tang at Newcastle O2 Academy

Just come back from this event and thought some may have an interest in a few notes and general stuff from it.
    There are only 6 Wu members touring the UK, GZA, Ghost, Deck, Masta Killa, U-God and Cappadonna (also Streetlife) They bring along Mathematics on decks.

The set is heavily based on the classics which will please the vast majority of fans, This means the latest album "A better tomorrow" is completely ignored.
    Ghostface seemed to take on the mantle of hype man in Meth's absence and was also the most energetic and watchable member of the clan.
    There was a few odd moments thrown up, (probably due to the line up) such as, U-God getting a quite lengthy couple of solo spots, this isn't a bad thing in itself but when I tell you he chose to fill these instances with "Dat's Gangsta" and "Zilla" you probably know what I mean.

The clan were on stage about an hour and during that time GZA spent a lot of it motionless near the back. Streetlife also seemed to spend a lot of time wandering/drinking/leaving stage, basically doing anything but performing.

Afterwards Streetlife and Deck both hung back to meet fans and sign autographs near the merch stand. I met Deck and got an autograph on a CD inlay and had a photo with him, He was really friendly and said I looked a bit like Remedy! I also told him I was looking forward to Czarface 2.
    Anyway, Overall I enjoyed seeing my hip hop heroes and Talking to Deck at the end is a personal highlight.
    The classic setlist was probably the best way to tour as Most people I chatted with seemed to have no idea about more recent clan albums.

Anything else anyone wants to ask is fine
    "What is the meanin' of crime? is it Criminals Robbin Innocent Muthafuckaz Everytime?"

I was there too, here's my review...

The warm up act was Burgundy Blood – No idea who this guy is… looks like a cross between Shawn Wigz and Remedy! He had two weird dudes in burgundy stocking masks come on stage and they just stood still, one at either side of the stage for the whole set whilst the guy rapped in the middle of the stage. No idea what they were there for, when dudes set was over, they just turned around and left!

The Clan were supposed to come on stage at 9:15… the venue has a curfew of 11pm. They eventually came on stage around 10:20!!! Same ol' Wu-Tang. I've seen them quite a few times before so I'm used to waiting around.

RZA was not there, Method Man wasn’t there and neither was Rae… So we had Ghost, U-God, Deck, Masta Killa, GZA, Cappa and Streetlife.

As usual they did mainly the old stuff, most of 36 Chambers, Criminology, Ice Cream, Liquid Swords, Duel of the Iron Mic, 4th Chamber. They did Winter Warz and Black Jesus off Ironman which was dope, U-G killed that shit. They did Reunited, Triumph and For Heaven’s Sake off Forever. They also did some solo joints, U-G did Dat’s Gangsta, Cappa did Run, Ghost did Mighty Healthy, GZA did Clan In Da Front.

They did nothing at all from Iron Flag, 8D or ABT. They did Gravel Pit, Do Ya Thang Thang (Street's verse) and One Blood off The W album.

The curfew came and went, most of them left the stage at around 11:15 but Deck, Street and U-G didn’t wanna leave so they kept spitting. U-G did Zilla. Streetlife dropped a new track of his and it was bangin’!

And then, THE highlight of the night for me… remember that untitled instrumental that turned up on the Tical Instrumentals vinyl…? And no one knew what it was, if it was legit, etc… Well Math dropped THAT beat and Deck dropped a crazy verse over it!! I don’t know if he was freestyling over it or if it was a verse that he actually wrote for that beat but shit was amazing!!!

Also, hearing Cappa spit his Winter warz verse over the ‘Who Shot Ya’ beat was ill.

Uey’s dance moves brought the comedy factor all night… shit was hilarious

On a negative point though, GZA seems totally incapable of spitting his rhymes in time to the beat when he’s live. Shit is awkward as hell. It’s like he can’t say the words fast enough. I've noticed this a few times but but it was really bad last night.

And, this is the first time i've seen the Clan without Meth being there, and it was blatantly obvious how much Meth brings to the show. Shit just wasn't the same, energy levels weren't there.

Same as andy_gza, I got a snap with Deck and was able to build with him for a few mins.

Overall it was a good show, but they desperately miss Meth when he's not there.

Peace!

Good review, I agree with everything you said. I went to a Red & Meth show last year and the energy those 2 brung was amazing, So youre very correct when you say Meth was a big miss.
    I also thought Capp's Winter Warz verse was a highlight (It always is) and Deck's final verse, In hindsight I wish I'd asked him about it!
    The most negative thing about the whole night was the lateness of theyre appearance, I'm attending the Glasgow gig on friday aswell So it'll be interesting to see if they do the same thing.
    "What is the meanin' of crime? is it Criminals Robbin Innocent Muthafuckaz Everytime?"

Meth just posted this on his Twitter...

"To all my European fans. I would like to set the record straight that I am in the United States shooting a movie & not touring in Europe this summer. The powers that be have been aware of this since January so please don't let anyone tell you different"

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    Meth just posted this on his Twitter...

"To all my European fans. I would like to set the record straight that I am in the United States shooting a movie & not touring in Europe this summer. The powers that be have been aware of this since January so please don't let anyone tell you different"

Peace!
    That's shit but will still be sick, anyone going the Manchester one there is a Wu after party at Soundcontrol in MCR Centre, got tickets last night, they are £20.
    -----------------------

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by andy_gza View Post
    Just come back from this event and thought some may have an interest in a few notes and general stuff from it.
    There are only 6 Wu members touring the UK, GZA, Ghost, Deck, Masta Killa, U-God and Cappadonna (also Streetlife) They bring along Mathematics on decks.

The set is heavily based on the classics which will please the vast majority of fans, This means the latest album "A better tomorrow" is completely ignored.
    Ghostface seemed to take on the mantle of hype man in Meth's absence and was also the most energetic and watchable member of the clan.
    There was a few odd moments thrown up, (probably due to the line up) such as, U-God getting a quite lengthy couple of solo spots, this isn't a bad thing in itself but when I tell you he chose to fill these instances with "Dat's Gangsta" and "Zilla" you probably know what I mean.

The clan were on stage about an hour and during that time GZA spent a lot of it motionless near the back. Streetlife also seemed to spend a lot of time wandering/drinking/leaving stage, basically doing anything but performing.

Afterwards Streetlife and Deck both hung back to meet fans and sign autographs near the merch stand. I met Deck and got an autograph on a CD inlay and had a photo with him, He was really friendly and said I looked a bit like Remedy! I also told him I was looking forward to Czarface 2.
    Anyway, Overall I enjoyed seeing my hip hop heroes and Talking to Deck at the end is a personal highlight.
    The classic setlist was probably the best way to tour as Most people I chatted with seemed to have no idea about more recent clan albums.

Anything else anyone wants to ask is fine
    What kind of merch they had and what was the price?

t shirts. vests and caps basically.
    shirts were like £35 and caps £45!!!!

PRODIGAL SUN

good reviews, extremely helpful.