Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleveland adds another chapter to championship drought and misery

Default Cleveland adds another chapter to championship drought and misery

Fifty-one years and counting.

2015 NBA Finals

For a brief moment, this was looking like THE YEAR. The Cavaliers led 2-1 in the series and LeBron couldn't be stopped. But then the Warriors made a lineup change in Game 4, LeBron actually came back down to Earth a little and ... well, you know the rest of the story.

Red Right '88

In terms of AFC title game mishaps, here's where it all began. Needing only a FG to win and advance to Super Bowl XV, Brian Sipe inexplicably tried to force a pass into Ozzie Newsome that was intercepted by Oakland's Mike Davis. Raiders go on to win the second of three Super Bowls while Clevelanders unknowingly are on the verge of unthinkable heartache for years to come.

The Drive (1986 AFC championship game)

John Elway will always make Clevelanders cringe after spoiling Cleveland's Super Bowl hopes by engineering a five-minute TD-scoring drive to force overtime of an eventual victory.

The Fumble (1987 AFC championship game)

Who knows what would have happened in overtime. Cleveland could have tied the score in regulation, but lost in the extra session. However, what DID happen was Ernest Byner getting stripped of the ball at the 2-yard line on his way to an apparent TD, sealing a second straight agonzing AFC championship game defeat to the Broncos.

The Shots I & II

Michael Jordan and the Bulls' ascension essentially began with Jordan's series-ending jump shot over Craig Ehlo in the first round of the 1989 playoffs. En route to the third of six titles, he repeated the feat during a four-game series sweep of Cleveland in the 1993 Eastern Conference semifinals.

Modell moves Browns

Owner Art Modell became a hated figure in Cleveland when he moved the beloved Browns to Baltimore following the 1995 season.

1997 World Series

Add this to the long list of agonizing defeats. Cleveland couldn't hold on to a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the ninth inning, eventually losing in the 11th. Adding to the misery: this was just the Florida Marlins' fifth year in the majors.

Salt in the wound

So while the Browns have scuffled to just be mediocre in their reincarnation, the Ravens have been a perennial AFC contender, winning the Super Bowl following the 2000 and 2012 seasons.

The Decision 2010

No veteran player has ever been so publicly vilified for choosing to switch teams via free agency. But then again, no one had ever had a TV show to announce that he was divorcing his old club.

2007 American League Championship Series

A 3-1 series lead is not unsurmontable, but it's not every year that someone overcomes such a deficit. Of course, the Red Sox had becomes masters of such, coming back to knock off the Indians and then winning the World Series.

2007 NBA Finals

LeBron made the unthinkable happen -- somehow guiding the '07 Cavs through the Eastern Conference and into the Finals. But it was a reality check once they got there, losing to the Spurs in four games.

-

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha. Nice pictures. I could care less if the Cleveland teams don't win any championships because I'm always gonna love my hometown. I know the Indians won a championship in 1948 and the Browns won one in 1964. I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

-

I don't know why the Browns fans were mad at Art Modell because he moved the team to Baltimore. The Browns are never gonna be good anyway hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I wish the team hadn't come back to Cleveland because the city can do without a football team.

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

Banned

The Cleveland Barons are the last team of the 4 major North American sports leagues to fold.

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

2012 October 1st - Bone Thugs N Harmony No Show

After selling out a gig in my hometown of Auckland, New Zealand, the Cleveland Hip-Hop Group failed to show up to the concert. The gig was cancelled at the last minute because the band missed their flight from Indonesia and were "uncontactable".

Last edited by Frank Drebin; 07-01-2015 at 02:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?