Thread: John Hanson question

Default John Hanson question

you're gonna love this introduction rofl. I follow Christbearer on FB and today he made a post about John Hanson being the first black president of the US

now I'm not a US resident and had never heard of him. I guess 99% of you here would already know John Hanson from Maryland was the first president of the Continental Congress under the Articles of Confederation in 1781-1782. I read the presidency as an executive position separate from congress was only ratified in 1789.

but my question is not really about that. see, I am a bit confused on this. some sources claim he was white (portrait on wikipedia)

but a lot of other sources show a black man

I looked up some threads on different forums I came across by google and they came up with different theories. there is the compelling evidence obviously that photography was only commercially introduced in the late 1830s lol

some sources claim the above photograph is actually a Liberian senator with the same name as the man who became the 'first president' of the US. this senator sought to relocate African Americans to Liberia (associated with the American Colonization Society)

are any of you familiar with this subject? I'd be interested in finding out more about both John Hansons, whether they be white or black. history is one of my interests, but I'm not really all that up to speed with American history. also any input on the early history Liberia (and British colony Sierra Leone) in this regard would be greatly appreciated
    Retired.

There seems to be quite the speculation concerning this guy.