Thread: [Stream] PETE ROCK just dropped one of the best LP:s of the last 10 years or so....

Default [Stream] PETE ROCK just dropped one of the best LP:s of the last 10 years or so....

Yeah that's a bold statement, but we all know Pete Rock is the fucking king, and it's been almost 10 years since DiLLA passed now, and as far as instrumental album goes NO ONE can do it LIKE THIS... fuck an Apollo Brown, a Bronze Nazareth, a Black Milk, a 9th Wonder, a RZA, a DJ Premier in this regard in 2015. The only one I can think off might be Extra-P but his "Beatz" album wasn't all that hot (listning to his instrumental LP of the Cormega project is incredible though and reveals a lot of cool shit).

I'm talking about "PeteStrumentals 2" which dropped today on Mello Music Group and while the singles were dope (especially "Cosmic Slop"; GODDAMN!!!) it's when you hear the whole album from front-to-back in good headphones that you'll truly get blown away. I haven't heard beats like this from Pete Rock since 2001 when the original one dropped... and it's not so strange bc he uses the same formula again, old unreleased beats from the '90s made on the SP1200, for the most part, which has then been remixed and rearranged in 2015... there's a lot of great musical intermissions like on the CL Smooth albums too. Man what a good way to start the day, first thing I did when i woke up and now I'm on my second listen. Buy this one or go fuck yourself!!!!!

Describing Pete Rock’s productions do them little justice. They resonate in your gut, heart, and brain. The title of one of these beats says it all: “Makes Me Feel Like.” You fill in the blanks based on your personal experience and current mood.

Petestrumentals 2 conjures memories of BBQ cookouts and 70s Blaxploitation scores, rattling summer jeep cruises and blunted Jamaican vacations. There’s a gorgeous requiem to Dilla (“Dilla Bounce (R.I.P),” where the originator pays tribute to the prodigy. You see the full range of Rock’s gifts on display: the meticulously chopped horns, unquantized drums, and air raid sirens. It contains the emotion of a thousand eulogies.

No record can’t be resurrected. There’s no sub-genre or era that can’t be converted into Rock’s singular brand of soul. His music is the closest thing we’ll ever get to a time-traveling DeLorean, effortlessly shifting between past, present, and future.

https://mellomusicgroup.bandcamp.com...estrumentals-2

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Doesn't come close to the original I gotta agree with Houseshoes on this one. I hoped for a second Petestrumentals, but the shit sounds bad. That Cosmic Slop show-off video was pathetic and not PR worthy. The first one is the best instrumental album ever released. The way he used 1 fucking sample on almost every track in a different way showed what kind of genius he was. This album doesn't have A Little Soul, The Boss, Pete's Jazz, Smooth Sailing, Something Funky or Take The D Train. Nothing comes close. What's with the cheap digital mastering on this album, the first one was done perfectly fine. The only thing reminding me of the Petestrumentals glory is the disco drums on One, Two, A Few More. But todays standards...I understand why people like this.

Veteran Member

Dilla Bounce, I Wish, PR 4 Prez are top 3

Veteran Member

What did you think of Easy Mo Bee's Instrumental album that came out earlier this year? I thought that was pretty dope.

-

I'd rather hear some Pete Rock and CL Smooth new albums than a Pete instrumental album LOL. I guess him and CL aren't gonna do anymore albums and that's a shame because they've been long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

Veteran Member

Only some beats are from the 90s here, everything else is post 2000 Pete, you can tell. The first ALL the beats were from the 90s minus the ones he produced for that featured artist (UN, CL, Foxxx, Nature)

^ Jin10304 - yes you are definitely right, upon further listening and digging into these tracks these are definitely a mix of tracks done at different points in Pete's career.

it doesn't rival the first "PeteStrumentals" which i would agree is very likely the best instrumental hip-hop album ever made, yet i find it unbelivable how a Pete Rock fan doesn't fall in love with this shit... "I Wish", "Heaven and Earth", "Cosmic Slop", "One Two (A Few More...)", etc. most of the music on this is fantastic... the mastering does sound cheap and dissapointing though.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Veteran Member

90s Class Act, Rootz Reggae Kulcha & On n On are fire aswell

oh maaaaaaan Pete Rock strikes again.

by far my favourite producer of all time. from the first note I was hooked.

I been trying to order this at work, but distributer is fuckin up. might just go thru amazon.