Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inside Supreme Clientele

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

Classic album was on constant rotation for most of the early 2000s for me
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

First time I heard it when I was 12. It was 2005 and I remember I wanted to understand what Ghostface rapped about in "One" so I took my dictionary and tried to translate the lyrics lol.. Now I know it was pointless 'cause of the slang.

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

1st Ghostface album I bought tho

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

nice piece on one of my fav albums ever

SC is an interesting album in the WU's history. Even though I think its a dope (not classic) album i find it odd that alot of WU fans especially think its so great considering that Ghost admits that his pen game is for the most part nonsense on here. Rapping just for the sake of rhyming random shit together is not something to be celebrated or looked upon as something classic...right or wrong? I mean thats essentially what's the problem in todays hiphop and why people say "hip hop is dead". Wether its fluff or bravado or nonsensical, thats ultimately what WU fans DON'T like or are against. And to think its an album that supposedly saved WU from going under is a ridiculously ironic statement.

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP BLOODSHOT View Post
    SC is an interesting album in the WU's history. Even though I think its a dope (not classic) album i find it odd that alot of WU fans especially think its so great considering that Ghost admits that his pen game is for the most part nonsense on here. Rapping just for the sake of rhyming random shit together is not something to be celebrated or looked upon as something classic...right or wrong? I mean thats essentially what's the problem in todays hiphop and why people say "hip hop is dead". Wether its fluff or bravado or nonsensical, thats ultimately what WU fans DON'T like or are against. And to think its an album that supposedly saved WU from going under is a ridiculously ironic statement.
    Wrong... next please! lol

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

HOW am i wrong tho?

Most of SC makes sense, no matter what Ghost says.
    There's nothing wrong with a free- associative style, it encourages the listener to make connections between the words and phrases. Whether or not those connections were intentional is immaterial.
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

nada ignorante

Crashing high speed Strawberry Kiwi yo. How can you not understand that is beyond me.
    N.I.

there's not many 24hr periods I've gone without hearing a couple tracks from this album in 15 years

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    there's not many 24hr periods I've gone without hearing a couple tracks from this album in 15 years
    same here, I bang this album least once a day, once a week and been bumping this since it came out when I was in my junior year of high school

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

When Ghost brushes it off like "I was just throwin random shit together" i think he's either being overly modest or throwing us for a loop

The trademark of his style for many years, before and after SC, could be described as "throwing random shit together" it's just the most concentrated and well-done on SC

He's "throwing random shit together" all over Ironman too: "Michael Bolton magazine quote, I'm too potent"

Supreme Clientele is simply SLANG metaphors taken to the utmost extreme and it is hip hop poetry at its finest

"Acrobat run up on that Love Jones actress
    distract the cat, while I'm high, sugar get a crack at this"

Would've been great if Cobra Clutch had made it onto there. Ghost Supreme Slang to the utmost. One of my favorite Ghost tracks

What up. I see your points and all but this is hard to defend :“’Yo I’ma make a rhyme not meaning nothing.’” Just put words together but what the sentence might mean, might not got nothing to do for nothing." Its cool and all but in the Wu-tangs history I think its strange considering what they stood for, at least in the beginning. Also, ghost didn't know what to write, he admits that in another interview, the same went for bulletproof wallets. But as a fundamental WU fan I have to say this album is wrongly overrated to classic status, and I attribute that to its beat selection.

I read a lot off stuff about Ghostface rhyming about nothing on Supreme Clientele nowadays, but to me it was always about him bragging. Me personally I never took his versers from "One" or "Nutmeg" as songs about nothing, It was always braggin' and playing with rhymes on these type of Ghost's joints to me