Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wu-Tang should stop making albums

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    Nas only has one hot album and everyone considers him the GOAT so yeah you do that
    Illmatic It Was Written I Am and Stillmatic then the rest were mixed. Tical 0 is flat out ass. Lex Diamonds story is flat out ass. 8 diagrams is ass. This isn't 'perspective' either this is what's felt by the consensus of wutangs core fans. I can say Ghost hasn't had many hit albums but 90% of them have been great according to Ghost's fans. No other wutang member has done well twice.

Maybe you should stop using Pandora.

Every musical act ever has followed the same trajectory you're talking about: Shit hot period followed by cooling off period (experimenting/churning out inferior versions of the same song/album).

Theres not many exceptions.

The problem that I have with threads like these is that it can be really difficult to give an honest opinion without being labelled as a hater by either a wu stan or some random z list wu affiliate. Next thing you know it gets passed on to the wu members and wu corp gets shitted on by them in some way or another. With that being said I kind of have to agree with most people. I think they need to stop making group albums if this is the road they're taking. I love wutang and in all honesty it pains me everytime I come across a wu album I just don't like. None of them seem to be on the same page so why even try.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    Illmatic It Was Written I Am and Stillmatic then the rest were mixed. Tical 0 is flat out ass. Lex Diamonds story is flat out ass. 8 diagrams is ass. This isn't 'perspective' either this is what's felt by the consensus of wutangs core fans. I can say Ghost hasn't had many hit albums but 90% of them have been great according to Ghost's fans. No other wutang member has done well twice.
    I Am that album fucking sucks

Tical 0 / Nastradamus
    Lex Diamond / I Am
    OB4CL / Illmatic

Who the fuck cares take it for what it is, Wu Tang gave us classics then they move on. Most rappers or groups drop one good shit and these guys dropped like 10/12 in a row
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO View Post
    The problem that I have with threads like these is that it can be really difficult to give an honest opinion without being labelled as a hater by either a wu stan or some random z list wu affiliate. Next thing you know it gets passed on to the wu members and wu corp gets shitted on by them in some way or another. With that being said I kind of have to agree with most people. I think they need to stop making group albums if this is the road they're taking. I love wutang and in all honesty it pains me everytime I come across a wu album I just don't like. None of them seem to be on the same page so why even try.
    yeah same here. the struggle of getting them all to agree on making an album, the embarrassing public blow outs etc. It's like if the 96 bulls still assembled every year to play against local middle aged accountants at the YMCA and losing. It's just cringe-worthy.

As a group, yes, they should stop it. I listened to ABT once and that was enough for me. but with regards to solo careers...Ghost is doing his thing. yeah, his rhymes are getting a little stale, but each project has been somewhat "unique" in a way. I thought Rae's follow-up to Cuban Linx II (Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang) was pretty good....but then I heard FILA. a complete disaster. if he makes another album, hopefully it's Cuban Linx III.

I don't think of any of the generals have the potential to put out a solid album at this point, other than Ghost. I'm still waiting on Supreme Clientele 2 and the album with Killah Priest. no other solo projects to get excited about

I agree, but it's getting harder and harder to say it with these numbers

Wutang has

36 chambers
    Wu Forever
    The W
    Iron Flag
    8 Diagrams
    A Better Tomorrow

and only 36 Chambers and Wu Forever are special, the rest are actually ass unless you listen to wutang in a vaccum. 2/6 isn't an exceptional group. And this is according to their core fans. Most people would just count 36.
    Meanwhile someone like Drake is batting 7/7 with his core fans and we're still inclined to think Wu-tang is special. It's not special biko
    It's not just 2 out of 6 group albums you also have the other posse classics like Cuban Linx, Liquid Swords, Ironman, Return to the 36C, Tical & 6 Feet Deep which cameout for 5 years back to back plus Supreme Clientele later, you can count most of those albums as Wu-tang group albums since almost everybody were on them, thats why people see them as an exceptional group
    Last edited by mAlAkAz; 08-23-2015 at 12:23 AM.

FRESH FISH

It's true that every Wu-Tang album has gotten worse and worse.

I'm down with Wu-Tang experimenting in sound, but "A Better Tomorrow" was a bad direction. The hooks are terrible, the song concepts are forced, and the only members who sounded like they gave half a fuck were Method Man, Masta Killa and RZA. The Man With The Iron Fists OST had way better beats and songs.

I don't think it's possible for Wu-Tang to make another good group album. ODB, one of their biggest personalities, is dead, so there goes the fun and the comic relief. Every other member sounds worse now. Cappadonna is now a member, taking mic time away from the other members, who people actually want to hear. The more boring members - U-God & Masta Killa - keep getting more mic time, while the more awesome members - Raekwon & Ghostface Killah - keep getting less and less. RZA's beats are wildly inconsistent. But mostly, nobody in the group seems to care about their new music. They never play anything past 1997 in concert, except maybe Gravel Pit. (Too bad, because I'd love to hear some Cuban Linx 2 songs.) The apathy shows. Deck sounds way more inspired by 7L's beats on CZARFACE 1 & 2, then by RZA's beats on 8 Diagrams and ABT.

They shouldn't stop releasing music. But they should stop releasing music that they don't care about.
    Last edited by FakeAlias; 08-23-2015 at 02:54 AM.

When was the last time The Wu-Tang Clan put out a song that cracks their setlist? Do they play anything off Iron Flag? I know they don't play anything on 8 Diagrams... what's the point if they aren't making anything good.

I agree, that only 36 and (Especially) Forever are special. But to be fair, Wu tang has the whole 93-97 legacy (Including guest feat....) Which is unmatched in hip hop.

Most people would just count 36.
    don't know about that, a lot of fans out there got a lot of love for Forever too, me included
    Retired.

^^^
    Wu tang Forever is the best rap album ever made !!!! and they gave the grammy to Diddy....SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeAlias View Post
    It's true that every Wu-Tang album has gotten worse and worse.

I'm down with Wu-Tang experimenting in sound, but "A Better Tomorrow" was a bad direction. The hooks are terrible, the song concepts are forced, and the only members who sounded like they gave half a fuck were Method Man, Masta Killa and RZA.
    The thing is that they aren't even experimenting. It's not like they are pushing boundaries with genre defining sounds from out of space. You could say that Ghostface was experimenting on Supreme Clientele, but the others are mostly just doing a piss poor attempt at making a radio friendly song. Having a R&B singer on a hook isn't exactly mind bendingly innovative.

Melf Nederlandse lifestyle & hiphop community. Voor bazen. De beste website van de wereld.[

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

I don't think Wu Forever is the best rap album ever, because it's too long, not all of the beats are perfect (like they are on Enter or Illmatic) and i'd cut out Wu-Revolution, Black Shampoo and Maria, definately. They made some better songs in that time that were released afterwards (or before), like America (AIDS) and Diesel.

I love the album, but I definately bump some albums more, even Wu albums, like Enter, Liquid Swords and OB4CL
    bring back begongo!!

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigKing.nl View Post
    The thing is that they aren't even experimenting. It's not like they are pushing boundaries with genre defining sounds from out of space. You could say that Ghostface was experimenting on Supreme Clientele, but the others are mostly just doing a piss poor attempt at making a radio friendly song. Having a R&B singer on a hook isn't exactly mind bendingly innovative.
    Yup. I don't see RZA's experimenting as good music for the most part (like 80% of the songs OR beats he made after '00).

They used to experiment with lyrics and ideas, but they became stale and too repetitive, like just look at GZA. All those verses about cosmic changes and all that shit isn't as good as the shit GZA did in 2002 or 1999.
    bring back begongo!!