Thread: Nas Just Joined Microsoft and Google to Fund Tech Scholarships for Women, African-Am.

Default Nas Just Joined Microsoft and Google to Fund Tech Scholarships for Women, African-Am.

A new fund being created by General Assembly, a private New York City technical school with a bent towards programming and engineering, is hoping to redress the dearth of minority participation in the tech sphere. The so-called "Opportunity Fund" will offer scholarships to women, veterans, African-Americans, and Latinos, all groups who have historically and systematically been denied equal access to the sciences.

Nas, who has stepped up his involvement in the tech world in recent months, is joining Google, Microsoft, and Hirepurpose as one of the fund's backers. His QueensBridge Venture Partners project will provide the funds for scholarships to African-Americans and Latinos, while Google will fund women and Microsoft and Hirepurpose will pay for veterans to attend the school.

“This is the start of what hopefully will be a contribution to what will be a more diverse and accessible community worldwide,” General Assembly CEO Jake Schwartz told Betabeat.

“There’s sort of a like-attracts-like issue in engineering subcultures. It’s the ‘brogrammer’ syndrome," he added.

True.
    http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...neral-assembly

Veteran Member

Good.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE View Post
    Technically these sort of programs shouldn't exist since leftist ideology has historically promoted things like "race isn't real, it's just a construct" and gender is also determined by how you felt like identifying for the day while eating your corn flakes.

Identity politics has been imploding on itself lately and it's been hilarious to watch. Organizers of 'women in tech' conferences are now being sued for discriminatory practices by Caitlyn Jenner type of dudes. The trans-racial lawsuits for inclusion are probably on deck soon.
    I'm trying to understand the white perspective on this and I'm seeing and have been told that whites feel they're being excluded which isn't fair because they're put under a lot of pressure not to exclude others and it's therefore a lopsided attack (same with men of all genders).

The reality is everyone favors their own. This is the the bottom line of human existence and this is why I don't agree with 'real isn't real' caitlyn jenners either. A white male is going to see another white male as being someone they could work and get along with before they're see that in a black male etc. Same thing with black people.

Because white males had the head start in technology, these things make sense to bring others into the field.

Indians are taking over, and as an immigrant I know it wasn't because of personal skill or ambition. It's a coordinated group effort. One Indian gets in, lets everyone know there's a lot of money here. Gives younger indians a route to learn more,or a blueprint (Go to school, study, come work here). Then the community comes together to pay for the particular kids education because they don't have the money. All of these 7/11 owners are really doing it so that their kids can work in Microsoft where the real money is at. Nigerians do it with medicine from home health to diagnostic hospitals and If I wanted to go into medicine without be a lot easier for me than even a white person because I have 4 family members that own agencies.

But this is our enclave, as most minority groups have 1 or 2 enclaves (even jews). White men have everything else. Anything you want to do or anywhere you want to go there's a structure there that makes you a favorable candidate. History in the US has created a situation where no matter what 'new' thing happens, you have a very unfair head start that is so normal in america you don't even realize it exists. You yourself know plenty of white douches from hell that are exceptionally wealthy for not trying.

Chris rock once said that as the top paid comedian in the world, he lived in a white neighborhood where all of his neighbors were dentists and accountants. So when African Americans try to help each other it's not an attack on white people, it's giving out a hand that didn't previously exist but believe it or not exists for you.

Most white people don't want to be told that they don't have to put in personal effort or struggle to succeed. That's not what anyone is saying. I told a chink that couldn't speak english that I was studying computer science and he busted out laughing, this will never happen for a white male. even a white female is going to be looked at as 'ok bitch'. This is just a small example that if you magnify it and put it in other contexts, i'm going to look really crazy telling an employer I can code in C++ or PHP.

My company was invited to SAGE Summit. Being there was like you as a white person being at the Source Awards. It's ok to say that things are good for you statistically but that you have to work hard still to take things to the next level. Most white people in tech are working hard to take things to the next level and others are working hard just to be there, maybe the next generation can take it to the next level but black americans don't have 100k for app development, and angel investors, venture capitalists etc will look at them like they're high on shrooms as was the case with the giggling chink.

The only reason the chink laughed and everyone else wouldn't because the chink hasn't had american political correctness socialization, but he isn't thinking anything anyone else isn't thinking about black female or latino it aspirants.

I don't understand why white people complain when others want to be competitive. You were just posting the other day that black people need to get more into technology. If the scholarship was for 'everyone' then 75% of it on a bad day would go to white people because they're the majority and 12% of black people. Now we have to share it with a spicz and bitches which sucks but whatever, at least it's something.

side note: Nas is a major angel investor in Uber

I think it can go a long way in fixing group economics because the economic is shifting and anyone that wants a future in the economy has to be a part even if it take nas escobar to make it happen

People don't realize how uncool and untrendy the field is until they're in it lol. Stories about google and random app companies have ppl thinking it's all pizza parties. The company I work for programs SAGE and Microsoft NAV business solutions for other firms, and it's a bunch of 40-59 year old republican cowboys and church enthusiasts. They're the norm from what I'm seeing but i'm new.

PRODIGAL SUN

big up nas for this, this is large & much needed
    "get money by all means necessary"

Nobody gives a shit about a company having a fooseball table or beer on tap. People just want a reasonable work-life balance and decent benefits. I also hate open office spaces with cross chatter and stupid shit like team building outside of work. I rarely want to be friends with people outside of work. I would rather work with a bunch of Nasir Jones who just stare into your soul when you ask them a simple question instead of pretenious hipsters who yap about corn hole leagues and wine bars.

Amen. And even in conservative businesses like mine, people suddenly tend to have all kinds of stupid customs like 'casual Friday' and various team-building events like archery (!!!). I blame American TV, honestly.

A friend of mine works in internationally known tech company and he boasts on how they have a video-games room packed with lazy bags. Smh.

But I'm surprised with Nas being interested in angel investing. He must have got more open-minded throughout these years. It's always nice to see a showbiz person investing outside of real estate and other everyday things.

{>____<}

I also hate open office spaces with cross chatter and stupid shit like team building outside of work. I rarely want to be friends with people outside of work.

The company that I used to work for required employees to volunteer, hang out at certain places, socialize, etc. I didn't mind at all, others hated it.

In regards to the topic, I think that this is a good thing for the minority groups who want to have access in the tech universe but are lacking the skills, resources, and the proper support in order to actively compete.

An individual, who is a minority, can have a superb skill set and knowledge of what he/she wants to accomplish; however, without the proper resources (i.e. a support system, networking, money, proper transportation, etc), it's most likely that he/she will fail. That's the point.

excellent thread with some great points

this fund is a good look on everyone involved and will do a lot for the people it backs

I would rather work with a bunch of Nasir Jones who just stare into your soul when you ask them a simple question instead of pretenious hipsters who yap about corn hole leagues and wine bars.
    I LOLed
    Retired.