Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uncontrolled Substance is lame

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Still, it's an average album. There is a reason why most people were disappointed by Wu-solos in '99 even tho they had a few good songs on it, everybody expected much more.

Which showed when Ghost dropped Supreme Clientele, which is an album that people still bump.

'99 was already the time when underground cats that listened to a lot of Wu made pretty dope songs that were just battle raps, which is what INS was mostly doing.

^^^Wordsworth was mega dope back in the day.
    Last edited by DR. NICK RIVIERA; 09-14-2015 at 05:18 AM.
    bring back begongo!!

true, i remember picking up all these releases at the time and not being fully satisfied though all of them were worth picking up imo. save for Masta Killa, all the generals dropped a solo album between '98 and early 2000. most of them in '99.. some of them have grown, some have not aged very well.

Inspectah Deck had so much potential to drop a classic solo album, but "U.S." was pretty dissapointing though there are some real gems on there. a while back i tried making a compilation of the best tracks from "U.S." with some of the best INS solos from other projects from the era and it came a lot closer to what i always wanted an INS solo to sound like... strongly recommends to try this tracklist instead

01. "Let Me at Them" [prod. The Rebel INS & RZA] 02. "Movas & Shakers" [prod. The RZA]
    03. "Uncontrolled Substance" [prod. Allah Mathematics] (Ft. Shadii)
    04. "Nightshift" [prod. True Master]
    05. "Semi-Automatic: Full Rap Metal Jacket" (Ft. UGOD, and Street) [prod. RZA]
    06. "9rh Chamber" (Ft. Wu-Tang Killa Beez) [prod. 4th Disciple]
    07. "Longevity" (Ft. Golden Arms) [prod. True Master]
    08. "Word On The Street" [prod. INS The Rebel]
    09. "Lovin' You" (Ft. La The Darkman) [prod. True Master]
    11. "Trouble Man" [prod. Pete Rock].
    12. "True Master" (w. Pete Rock, Kurupt) [prod. Pete Rock]
    13. "R.E.C. Room" [prod. True Master & RZA]
    14. "Friction" (Ft. Masta Killa) [prod. RZA]
    15. "Execute Them" (Ft. Masta Killah, Raekwon & Street) [prod. RZA]
    16. "Tres Leches" (w. Big Pun & Prodigy) [prod. RZA]
    17. "Show N Prove: The Final Words" (Ft. Force MD's) [prod. Blaquesmiths]

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

its not a bad album by a long shot, I still like most of the tracks on uncontrolled substance. I definitely wouldnt bash it just because it doesn't happen to be classic

I could only pray that wu would drop an album as good as that in 2015, it's still way better than turds like cuban linx II and whatnot

SHAOLIN STUDENT

As I said so many times without a very inspired and hungry Rza Wu is not Wu. RZA set the standard too high in the golden years because he was angry and hungry. Wu elements are good producers but they lack constancy. What Rza did in 93-97 era was just incredible even in 98 he produced some crazy joints. The other wu dude who really knew how a dope beat sounded was Ghostface Killah. Deck he is a good band member but he is wack alone. He really needed a handler as RZA was for the wu members when they released classics after classics. UC is a good album but a disappointment for someone who really enjoyed first wu albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    its not a bad album by a long shot, I still like most of the tracks on uncontrolled substance. I definitely wouldnt bash it just because it doesn't happen to be classic

I could only pray that wu would drop an album as good as that in 2015, it's still way better than turds like cuban linx II and whatnot
    Remember when people were trying to call Cuban Linx 2 a classic lol

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Ahahahahahahah

BlessedRThoseWhoStruggle Wu Apprentice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO View Post
    Remember when people were trying to call Cuban Linx 2 a classic lol
    That album had so much hype, it could have been Raekwon and Ghost farting into a can and Wu Stans would have ate it up. I think the only track I still have in the playlist is Broken Safety which is probably a sub par track for most fans of the album. Black Mozart is boring imo and most of it is just Raekwon mumbling about cooking up crack which is tired AF
    "The devil trembles when he knows the body is the temple and God is in you
    It's hard to continue when it's hard to offend you
    He snarls and sets traps, that have you setback
    The last round in this death match
    So strengthen where you're best at
    I promise you won't regret that" - Killah Priest

FRESH FISH

Cuban Linx 2 IS a great album. I still listen to it on the regular. House of Flying Daggers is the best Wu-Tang song in ages. Still is.

Uncontrolled Substance IS lame. It's a barely above-average album from a rapper who is capable of making a great album. Or WAS.

Friction & Rec Room were dope.

Longevity was dope but could have used another Clan member.

9th Chamber should have been a Wu-Tang Clan posse cut, not a Wu-Weed Carrier posse cut. Where the fuck were Rae, Ghost, GZA and RZA during the recording sessions? Fucking Ghostface even goes on to rap over one of these beats on SC - he couldn't have just done it to give Deck a feature for U.S.?

The other songs on the album were okay. Trouble Man and Word on the Street were solid. Not what I wanted from Deck tho. People always praise Show And Prove but the hook makes me cringe so I can't fuck with it.

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

Cuban Linx 2 was shitty. that song where ghost talked about some bitch he ran trains on and his son was tryna wife her was good. rest was shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
    that song where ghost talked about some bitch he ran trains on and his son was tryna wife her .
    Ahahahahahahah

Cuban Linx 2 was pretty good. Theres classic songs on there, but as an album its too long and theres not enough consistency in the production style.

INS' LP has a consistent production style and some great songwriting but a lot of average beats.

Banned

CL2 was dope what are these people on about talking about it sucked? House of Flying Daggers is the best 21st century Wu song
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

hell yeah, "CL2" was dope and that's hardly only the opinion of "Wu stans", it's a critically aclaimed album. how the hell do you don't like "10 Bricks" or "Ason Jones"? the only song on Deck's album that's even close to that standard is "R.E.C. Room"

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Best thing about CL2 is Ghost's verse on that Jihad Necro song.

Also Mef's flow on New Wu is dope.

Everything else is kinda forgettable for me.
    bring back begongo!!

Prospect

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    true, i remember picking up all these releases at the time and not being fully satisfied though all of them were worth picking up imo. save for Masta Killa, all the generals dropped a solo album between '98 and early 2000. most of them in '99.. some of them have grown, some have not aged very well.

Inspectah Deck had so much potential to drop a classic solo album, but "U.S." was pretty dissapointing though there are some real gems on there. a while back i tried making a compilation of the best tracks from "U.S." with some of the best INS solos from other projects from the era and it came a lot closer to what i always wanted an INS solo to sound like... strongly recommends to try this tracklist instead

01. "Let Me at Them" [prod. The Rebel INS & RZA] 02. "Movas & Shakers" [prod. The RZA]
    03. "Uncontrolled Substance" [prod. Allah Mathematics] (Ft. Shadii)
    04. "Nightshift" [prod. True Master]
    05. "Semi-Automatic: Full Rap Metal Jacket" (Ft. UGOD, and Street) [prod. RZA]
    06. "9rh Chamber" (Ft. Wu-Tang Killa Beez) [prod. 4th Disciple]
    07. "Longevity" (Ft. Golden Arms) [prod. True Master]
    08. "Word On The Street" [prod. INS The Rebel]
    09. "Lovin' You" (Ft. La The Darkman) [prod. True Master]
    11. "Trouble Man" [prod. Pete Rock].
    12. "True Master" (w. Pete Rock, Kurupt) [prod. Pete Rock]
    13. "R.E.C. Room" [prod. True Master & RZA]
    14. "Friction" (Ft. Masta Killa) [prod. RZA]
    15. "Execute Them" (Ft. Masta Killah, Raekwon & Street) [prod. RZA]
    16. "Tres Leches" (w. Big Pun & Prodigy) [prod. RZA]
    17. "Show N Prove: The Final Words" (Ft. Force MD's) [prod. Blaquesmiths]
    This tracklisting flows nicely; I'd include S.O.S. though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post

I fully agree; we'd be lucky to get another wu album like Uncontrolled Substance.

I wouldn't say OB4CLII is a turd, but it doesn't compare to US.
    Last edited by Niksdavan; 09-15-2015 at 04:03 AM.