Thread: A People's History of the United States

Default A People's History of the United States

I'm guessing everybody here has at least heard of this book. Basically, if you take AP History in high school, or take an American History course in college, you'll most likely come across this book. Some conservative parents hate it because they think it's "too critical of America," hence why some high school history teachers are forced to take the book away from their curriculum.

what are your thoughts on this book? personally, I think it should be mandatory reading. this is history for people who hate history. the best part of the book are the first two chapters about Columbus and slavery

Banned

Never heard of it.

1492-present. I'm assuming this details the indigenous populations thoroughly?
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

when did this book first come out?

SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR

big up to the god Howard Zinn

I've never read the book but I used to see it in certain classrooms in high school
    We do it for the people.

the book first came out in 1980, but Howard Zinn--a Bernie Sanders-type liberal Jew--kept updating it with the times, until 2003, so it covers post-9/11. Immortal Technique and Vinnie Paz talk about Howard Zinn like he's God, though don't let that discourage you from reading this masterpiece. It's the most important history book you'll ever read.

It's easy to see why conservative parents throw a fit every time their kids in AP History are forced to read it, because it really does pour salt into America's history. the beginning, which talks about Columbus being a maniac, is the best part. but everybody gets a raw deal in this book. it's also the easiest way to introduce kids to American history, because the book is so comprehensive