View Poll Results: Do you enjoy your job?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like my job

5 71.43%
  • I want something better

1 14.29%
  • It's a paycheck and nothing else

1 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you enjoy your job?

Quote Originally Posted by hashashin View Post
    I do voluntary work in animal care, love it!
    I respect that
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by zooruka View Post
    ^^^

Nice

I can see how you could be in such a decent management position. Even on Wu Corp you come across as a stable dude.

Nice to see some Wu Corp members are doing well for themselves.
    Why thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    I don't think a career is for everyone in this day and age. Employer/employee relations are so disposable now no matter who you are. We're seeing big names in houston guy 20 + year long staff because of the drop in oil prices, and oil and gas was billed as unbreakable not too long ago.

I think the best thing to do is prepare yourself for employ-ability, save your money and diversify your revenue streams. The idea of being at a single company forever isn't going to fly for as many people as it did in the past. Too many people are start off their working career with 40k+ of debt, and too much of the US economy has shrunk or been phased out. Even if you land in your dream career, you're still going to need something 'better' at all times, boomers aren't dying or retiring and the whole 'i'll stay here and climb the ladder' is over, and Gen Xers haven't even got their shot, not to talk of millennials.
    The energy industry is tough, my company had to let go of 6000 people just 2 months ago mainly from contractors but thats a big big number. Even I had to make some calls and tell contractors that we couldn't work with them anymore. Shits hard cause you build a relationship, that guy relies on you and because your company made $1billion less profit you gotta get rid of a whole lot of people. Thats how big companies work though, when you got shareholders hungry for more money you gotta make changes to satisfy them, not necessarily for the companies interest.

Before if you worked for a big company very rarely did that company have to lay off such a large number of staff. Just didn't happen, you could start your career and finish it in one place. Nowadays your only safe if you got a good contract, if you haven't, you don't know whats going to happen tomorrow, as someone in China farts and your company loses money and bam your gone. So if you get a job you can't plan ahead like you would have. So your right when you say you need to diversify the revenue streams. Our generation got screwed over but we can take comfort in knowing that the generations following us are truly fucked.

i get to feed many families, I LOVE IT

'

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I wish I had a full time job and I'm still looking for one. It's really sad that I'm 39 years old and I'm struggling to find a job and keep it. I've dealt with losing jobs before and that's why I wanna talk to a psychiatrist and find out what's wrong with me because I may have a learning disability. One of the symptoms of a learning disability is struggling with getting a job and keeping it. I may have to get government money some kind of way if I don't find a job by the end of the year because if I don't find one, I'm gonna have to get rid of my car because I don't have money for repairs. I don't wanna get rid of my car but I may have no choice if I can't get a job. I went to Maryland's social services for help to try to get government money and they act like they don't wanna help me. The black woman I talked to said I can only get food stamps because in order to get a welfare check, I gotta be disabled or have kids. I couldn't believe she told me that because I wouldn't be coming to them for money if I could get a job.

I did get a email answered yesterday from a cleaning company in Virginia and I was happy about that because the lady that does the hiring asked for my phone number and they got 2 job openings. One is part time and the other one is full time. So the receptionist I talked to, I asked her if they got a fax number so I can fax them my resume and she gave me their fax number. So I'm gonna fax them my resume on Monday and hopefully i'll get a phone call from the lady that does the hiring. I've also thought about looking for jobs in Cleveland but I don't believe the jobs there will answer my emails because I live in Maryland and they would wanna know how am I gonna come there for a interview.
    Thank you for repeating yourself for the 10,000th time.

{>____<}

It's good to know some of you are doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by HANZO View Post
    Why thank you.

The energy industry is tough, my company had to let go of 6000 people just 2 months ago mainly from contractors but thats a big big number. Even I had to make some calls and tell contractors that we couldn't work with them anymore. Shits hard cause you build a relationship, that guy relies on you and because your company made $1billion less profit you gotta get rid of a whole lot of people. Thats how big companies work though, when you got shareholders hungry for more money you gotta make changes to satisfy them, not necessarily for the companies interest.

Before if you worked for a big company very rarely did that company have to lay off such a large number of staff. Just didn't happen, you could start your career and finish it in one place. Nowadays your only safe if you got a good contract, if you haven't, you don't know whats going to happen tomorrow, as someone in China farts and your company loses money and bam your gone. So if you get a job you can't plan ahead like you would have. So your right when you say you need to diversify the revenue streams. Our generation got screwed over but we can take comfort in knowing that the generations following us are truly fucked.
    I used to help set up job fairs and every month he had more and more extremely well trained and educated oil and gas people (im in Houston to the number is skewed by still). Then there was the issue of being over qualified for 99.9% of the work that was available. The 'sweet spot' is a bachelors + certification or technical skill with masters. If you're at doctorate nobody is going to look at you other than schools and there's so many craigslist universities out there that having a bachelors only implies you have wifi.

My company works in business automation systems, so we're part of the problem lol, but still. People keep saying that low skill work is getting replaced the fastest because of outsourcing and automation, but really, especially with what's possible in business software, most white collar workers are at far bigger threat than laborers.
    Last edited by TSA; 10-08-2015 at 04:00 PM.

{>____<}

^That's funny because I wanted to move to Houston, TX for employment opportunity back in 2013. During that time, I applied for a lot of jobs in the geology field. A few interviews but nothing. I'm in the environmental field. It's not oil money but the work is good.