Thread: Eminem as a producer

Default Eminem as a producer

Curious to what you guys think of him as a beatmaker and a producer. He definitely has some good tracks in his catalouge, starting with "The Way I Am" on to songs like "Til' I Colapse", "Sing For The Moment", "Drips", "Superman", "Lose Yourself", "Renegade", etc. but i think that the majority of his production credits sound lame as fucking hell, and have absolutely ZERO soul to them, meaning that they sound stale and unengaging as hell, on some anti-funky shit.

i was listening to D12's "D12 World" album today after the thread about the new mixtape (which i dobut i'll check for), and i had that album in my collection for years but probably only heard it two times before. and Eminem's beats are shitty as fuck on there to my ears, the drum programming is the same for most of the tracks and even at that the drums are wack as hell. to me it sounds like a semi-amateur trying to sound Dr. Dre while having access to the best equipment in the world. and this is hardly only on the D12 record.... BUT like I said above, he have produced dope records, and there's a huge difference in sound between his beats on the first and second D12 album. which leads me to believe that he had a lot of help with the tracks he produced from 2000-2002 and then started making them all by himself, or together with Steve King or Louis Resto..

when reading the credits to his albums i always know i'm up for a shitty track when i see "produced by Eminem; instruments by Steve King; mixed by Eminem" hahah. what do you think?

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

his production just plods along 9 times out of 10, very monotonous stuff

good in depth analysis claaa
    Retired.

I don't like his beats, they're very casio sounding. I always thought the Bass Brothers who did a lot of Ems first 2 LPs and Devils Night, were dope though.

Its a shame they haven't done more production either with him or without him. They used the live instrumentation in a very hip hop way.

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Bass Brothers killed it, yea.
    bring back begongo!!

Banned

I liked the beat he did for Xzibit "My Name Is" but most of the stuff I've ever heard is trash. Those 2Pac songs were fucking terrible and that beat he did on The Documentary just had that annoying Dr Dre wanna be sound that Eminem has, or at least he has around 2002-2005 I never checked D12's second album or his LP's post-Eminem Show. The Eminem Show was mostly produced by him without Bass Brothers right?
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

nada ignorante

Black Cotton was nice.
    N.I.

edit
    Last edited by communist cunt; 06-06-2016 at 08:29 AM.
    "I know that after my death a pile of rubbish
    will be heaped on my grave, but the wind of
    History will sooner or later sweep it away
    without mercy."
    - Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili