Thread: "Apocalypse Now": Original vs. Redux?

Default "Apocalypse Now": Original vs. Redux?

"Apocalypse Now" is without a doubt one of the best movies i have ever seen. pretty much everything about it is flawless film-making and in 2001 Coppola of course revisited the film, adding 50 minutes of material originally excised from the theatrical release. many reviews claims that this new "Redux" version is vastly inferior to the tighter 1979 release, something i disagree with... to me they both have their strengths, and i for one really liked the French plantation scene and the second Playboy bunnies scene, although the latter didn't add much to the film as a whole. the original is however more explosive and straight-to-the-point.. both versions makes for a 5/5 film.

however, one scene that is not included in either version but was on the DVD and is one of the eeriest scenes i have ever seen is the "Monkey Sampan".. i've never been able to forget this scene, fits perfectly within the movie, wish they would have kept it in.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

good post

I'm with your analysis of Redux

personally I prefer Redux, mainly cuz of the inclusion of the French plantation scene

the most incredible thing about this movie is that it actually got wrapped. it encountered Terry Gilliam levels of problems during its taping, tropical storms destroying sets, heart attack of one of the main actors, then there was Mr Fatso and his excessive demands etc. didn't the movie almost bankrupt Zoetrope? seem to remember having seen an interesting documentary on the whole thing, can't find it on youtube for you unfortunately

claaa, did you read the book Apocalypse Now was originally based upon? 'Heart of Darkness' is a powerful read. of course setting etc. were changed for the movie
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 11-04-2015 at 01:58 PM.
    Retired.

Redux, easily...i didn't even know people preferred the theatrical cut, but i also saw Redux first

The original version of the script was like a superhero comic almost, it's pretty mental

the opening scene of the movie is so good you are immediately hooked

truly a great movie
    Retired.