Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did La the Darkman get in touch with Wu-Tang?

Default How did La the Darkman get in touch with Wu-Tang?

I've been listening to "Heist of the Century" recently and I'm really impressed 'cause Darkman was only 18 at that time, but he handled to record such a dope shit.

It got me thinking tho, how did he even contact with Wu-Tang? As far as I know he's not family to any General, he wasn't mentioned by any Wu member / affiliate 'till 98. Before the album he was only in the background on one song on "Wu-Tang Forever" album.

Did he ever tell a story of his first day in Wu-Tang?

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

he was Raekwon's guy is all I know

they were in the studio together already back in 96, I checked back with a Willie The Kid interview just now to get the year right
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-12-2015 at 06:47 PM.
    Retired.

Thanks fam! I didn't know he was a Rae's homie

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16)

no problem, maybe someone else on here has some more info on how they linked up

reason why I wanted to check that year is since LA was so young

his earliest placement was on Soul Assassins I (Muggs), which dropped in 97. that track Devil In A Blue Dress was later included as a bonus track on some (all?) versions of his own solo debut album

so this is just conjecture but maybe Devil In A Blue Dress really is one of his earliest recordings, which would make him 16 at the time of recording it. impressive
    Retired.

he moved out there from Detroit and linked up with Rae.

ironic most wu fans don't call him a groupie who travelled to go get a deal

you are right though, he used to be dope

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
    ironic most wu fans don't call him a groupie who travelled to go get a deal
    I see what you did there haha
    Retired.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020210...an.com/bio.htm

LA THE DARKMAN

La The Darkman (BKA Lason Jackson) was born in Bronx, NY. He lived there until the age of four and then moved with his family to Crown Heights in Brooklyn, NY, where he started running the streets at a young age. By the age of 14 he was skipping school and getting into trouble with the law. La and his three siblings were raised by a single mother, who did not approve of La's troubled ways.

La's mother moved him out of state to Grand Rapids, Michigan so he could finish school. Being away from New York City, La was able to finish high school successfully. At the age of 17, La moved back to Brooklyn where he strengthened his street ways. While back in Brooklyn, La met members of a clan, better known as Wu-Tang Clan. La stayed behind the scenes with the Clan before coming to the surface as a solo artist.

La is an independent businessman and artist. In his free time he enjoys playing basketball, Play Station 2, writing music and reading.

i think he first met power & rae

Quote Originally Posted by soob View Post

It got me thinking tho, how did he even contact with Wu-Tang? As far as I know he's not family to any General, he wasn't mentioned by any Wu member / affiliate 'till 98. Before the album he was only in the background on one song on "Wu-Tang Forever" album.?
    he was in the ice cream/incarcerated scarfaces video .. he's on stage with mef live at the source awards 95'... ghostface gave him a shoutout on the ironman cd booklet ...

thanks jammin, you got that knowledge

peace
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    he was in the ice cream/incarcerated scarfaces video .. he's on stage with mef live at the source awards 95'... ghostface gave him a shoutout on the ironman cd booklet ...
    Thanks fam for all information!! I knew he was somehow related with Grand Rapids 'cause he had said "Gun Rule" (which means that city) many time on his tracks

yes, he reps and has always claimed to be from Gun rule, Michigan/detroit area

Old School

Everyone originally knows you from your work with the Wu. How did that connection come about?

I was a young cat growing up in Crown Heights and a lot of Wu is from Brooklyn, like RZA, GZA and Dirt. So while they was coming up, I met a guy named Taris and also Divine, who’s RZA’s brother. Divine is the executive producer of all the Wu albums. I met them at the mall once and bumped into them again down south in Tennessee. We started building with them and then doing different things. I been with them since I was 15 years old. Enter the 36 Chambers came, and I saw it grow. I was a baby back then, but then I got my opportunity to drop when I was 18. I dropped in November of ’98. I had my own label with Taris with distribution through Navarre, which just got bought out by KOCH. I was getting $7 an album and pushed 350,000 units. For Navarre, I was their first black music artist.

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2007/12/l...next-movement/

ive always been a lil curious about this too

LA is always reppin grand rapids, i usually bump into him and willie the kid around here a couple times a year

willie just started his own grand rapids clothing line in town too

i remember first hearing him with raekwon some time during 1995 on that song As The World Turns (prod. by 4th Disciple) they were playing it on some underground radio station