Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What wu album would you recommend to non hiphop listeners?

for non hiphop listeners i would say The Genius Liquid Swords, then ETW:36C, and Forever, those are the albums most non hiphop fans know about. GZA was actually the first rap artist that signed to Geffen Records a pop-rock label with acts like Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith and Nirvana, I think thats when some rock fans started to know about Wu-Tang Liquid Swords through that label and their tours

very interesting that you all still point at the classic albums as a good starting point for non hiphop fans

maybe I was wrong in thinking people would need an easy going transitory album first

the ironman album that was mentioned brings together both points of view as it is both a classic and at the same time it doesn't expand on the wu mythology thematically

please keep 'em coming, I'm loving the input. thanks to everyone who's posted so far
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-15-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    Retired.

Definitely have to go with Liquid Swords. That's one of my favorite Wu albums.

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

You would be amazed how many hiphop fans do not care for most wu classics, like Liquid Swords

Odb debut, enter and blackout get the most love, so i would recommend showing those first. The w as teh 4th album, after that it depends on who they like the most.
    bring back begongo!!

jäcobjäy's posting is gettin worse ahahahahahah

nada ignorante

Quote Originally Posted by P.E.A.C.E View Post
    Definitely have to go with Liquid Swords. That's one of my favorite Wu albums.
    Ironman as a runner up.
    N.I.

Quote Originally Posted by jäcobjäy View Post
    I was thinking that particular album wouldn't necessarily have to represent the wu sound to the fullest, but would act more like a bridge between their regular music tastes & hiphop/the wu. sort of like 'easing into the wu'

of course it would be easy to argue for the quintessential wu record, 'Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers' since it's what wu is all about and how it all got started but that's not the argument I'm making here

these would be people who have no interest in technical skills, like internal rhyming, flow etc that regular hiphop fans pay attention to

so personally I was thinking of Ghost & BadBadNotGood's 'Sour Soul'. sonically it's very rich with it's live instrumentation, and not just on the actual instrumental interludes. it gives off a Sunday morning listening music in parts (at least to me). I wouldn't go as far as calling it easy listening but you catch my drift. some instrumentals remind me of 60s music (like 'Ray Gun'). and ghost's got an engaging voice that easily conveys emotions. the verses themselves are pretty short, not very technical and in general don't require much paying attention to. in fact it's a pretty short record all around

alternatively I was thinking of Ghost's 'Wizard Of Poetry' album cuz of its themes involving love, the female vocalists etc. on there. the raps are pretty easy to follow too

I have 2 more suggestions but I'll post them later since I'd like to hear your input first

so what would be the one album you would recommend to non hiphop fans to give them just a taste of the wu, a record that they might actually play through? maybe multiple times even it could be a killa bee album too. really interested in your thoughts

peace

Ahahahahahaha

Who cares, if they don't already listen to rap, then they're homo's.

/

^^since god says fuck homos all non hiphop fans + young thug should be killed right away, amirite?

are you trying out for mod posting those / in every other thread? we're gonna keep posting regardless lmao
    Retired.

Sorry 5th..... A bit of Gen Chat spilt over into this thread. lol

ahahahaaaah

we're okay

lemme put a / to the exchange right here

btw I see where people are coming from posting classics now instead of material that is easier to digest for non hiphop fans. people in here have changed my mind, I'm glad I started the thread
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by 8 View Post
    Most people I know that aren't really into hip hop like this album.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Wu-Tang Greatest Hits.

But for real, The W cuz it has Gravel Pit on it.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

Quote Originally Posted by TAURO View Post
    Most people I know that aren't really into hip hop like this album.

I think this is true !

My cousin has a friend, who wasn't/isn't into rap. He bangs Liquid Swords tho !

Theres not any albums that are easy for the casual listener. If they are genuine music fans they should respond in some way to the classics (93-2000). Pop fans are going to struggle with anything other than individual songs.

But, 36 Chambers is about as accessible as they got imo so thats what I would recommend.

Jamal Arief

Well, if you want someone to get into Wu specifically, the classics would be the way to go I guess. Then it's either you like it or you probably never will.

But if it's about making people appreciate the art of hip hop in general by way of Wu or related albums (which is how I understood it), the early RZA soundscape on top of kung fu, gun, drug & five percenter talk may be too much to handle all at once. And in that case something with a more accessible sound may be better.

Think of girls for example. It's just not very likely that the early 90s hard ass machismo would appeal to (suburban) girls in the 2010s. If I play ETW:36 to my girl, she's totally overwhelmed by the sound and whatever little she gets from the lyrics is just confusing her. Guess in her mind it just sounds like pure aggression on wax (which to a large extent it is), and without some insights into the background or an understanding of the early 90s zeitgeist that's just too much. But on the other hand, I *can* play hip hop and Wu for her for hours, and she'll love it - when I carefully select the tunes (or in some cases, albums).

Peace.