Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RZA Says Black People Should Stop Scaring White Cops

Rza's dumbass comments aside why are there still people in the US dressing like it's still 1994? There are more options than baggy or skinny.

Back on topic I think from what I see and hear Rza is clearly out of touch with the streets. It's not his fault as such, the guy has been a successful artist for over 20 years. He's not the only rapper that this has happened to either.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Until the number of deaths caused by black on black crime in our hoods falls lower than police brutality and white racism, I will continue to see RZA as a man who has done a lot more positive for our culture and people than most people trying to make him out as a coon and also who continue to drag down their own black people by taking no responsibility for their actions. I mean look at what happened to Killasin, these are the kinds incidents that happen in our hood daily. Black males hating on eachother to the point guns come out.(by the way I'm not blaming Killasin and I don't know anything behind the incident-but I'm just saying it's blak vs blak thing-it's a shame) This bothers me just as much as police brutality. There is a crisis amongst our own people which we gotta look at too. RZA touches on this. RZA ain't out of touch , RZA trying to pull his people out of mentality that's self destructive. Like RZAsays all lives matter. That's a great message tospreadman!
    Last edited by blaksteez; 01-14-2016 at 01:21 AM.

Are U aware I ban @ will? MASTER PAI MEI's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyRaes View Post
    so u deserve to be fucked with because the way u dress? Arent there grown ass men dressing like women right now, but thats ok. Didnt people fight and die for the right and freedom to dress the way they want without ridicule or consequence?
    You act like you live in a bubble. People are judgmental, rude and insensitive. Just look at how much reaction this has received. Now go outside dressed as a thug and walk around and see what happens. Im not saying its right to be judged I'm saying RZA is acknowledging the fact people judge you based off appearance. Racism exists, profiling exists, buffoons exist, dumb cops exist, morons, ignorant douchebags etc... Why not try and remove obstacles?

''Im not saying its right to be judged I'm saying RZA is acknowledging the fact people judge you based off appearance. Racism exists, profiling exists, buffoons exist, dumb cops exist, morons, ignorant douchebags etc... Why not try and remove obstacles?''

I hear u....but I think it's better to try & remove those things you've just mentioned first, BEFORE I'm forced remove my hoody or baggy pants. The black people of america & all over the globe could all wear three-piece suits everyday if they wanted & there would still be police brutality. Yes of course ppl judge based off of appearance...but it's that way of thinking that should be confronted & challenged first before my garments.

just my 2 pence...

Bless 1

RZA is starting out by making a good point but he's getting way off track very quickly.. i agree that the situation has a large basis in deep rooted fear, and a lot of that fear has been instilled via the stereotypes of young black men that is perpetrated by media, Hollywood and the music industry. The portrayal of black people in Hollywood and hip-hop videos especially has led to negative images being instilled in the average white man who comes to associates baggy clothes and black features with those images.

this is all true and something that needs to be dealt with - for example, look back in the '80s when groups like Public Enemy and KRS-One got almost equal air time on music video channels as N.W.A. Today ALL the music that gets the big promotional push are filled with these negative images which are all being linked to young black people in the US...

now the problem i have with RZA's train of thought is that he makes it sound like people should just bow down and accept these stereotypes and accept that police officers might want to kill you so you'd better change clothes, image and damn near personality to be sure not to be linked to that stereotype. what the hell is that going to fix?!

the white owned corporations that peddles that negativity and filth to the world is the first place to start the change, not at your local clothing store

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

I hear u....but I think it's better to try & remove those things you've just mentioned first, BEFORE I'm forced remove my hoody or baggy pants. The black people of america & all over the globe could all wear three-piece suits everyday if they wanted & there would still be police brutality. Yes of course ppl judge based off of appearance...but it's that way of thinking that should be confronted & challenged first before my garments.

just my 2 pence...

Bless 1
    hasn't RZA been talking about justice and equality for 15 years, more than any rapper I've ever heard? Or do you want him to have a specific plan to end global racism in 2016?

From 'The Tao Of Wu':

"If you have clothed yourself in righteousness, even the bummiest clothing has dignity."

Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    hasn't RZA been talking about justice and equality for 15 years, more than any rapper I've ever heard? Or do you want him to have a specific plan to end global racism in 2016?
    Yep, he has! you're correct. But then isn't that why his recent comments have had alot of ppl scratching their head in the first place?

Never once have i thought to myself ''Rza's a coon!'' just because he has that opinion. But, I think even when he, himself reviews his own comments, he must be able to understand the other side to the argument & why a lot of ppl would disagree with what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    RZA is starting out by making a good point but he's getting way off track very quickly.. i agree that the situation has a large basis in deep rooted fear, and a lot of that fear has been instilled via the stereotypes of young black men that is perpetrated by media, Hollywood and the music industry. The portrayal of black people in Hollywood and hip-hop videos especially has led to negative images being instilled in the average white man who comes to associates baggy clothes and black features with those images.

this is all true and something that needs to be dealt with - for example, look back in the '80s when groups like Public Enemy and KRS-One got almost equal air time on music video channels as N.W.A. Today ALL the music that gets the big promotional push are filled with these negative images which are all being linked to young black people in the US...

now the problem i have with RZA's train of thought is that he makes it sound like people should just bow down and accept these stereotypes and accept that police officers might want to kill you so you'd better change clothes, image and damn near personality to be sure not to be linked to that stereotype. what the hell is that going to fix?!

the white owned corporations that peddles that negativity and filth to the world is the first place to start the change, not at your local clothing store
    Agreed.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    From 'The Tao Of Wu':

"If you have clothed yourself in righteousness, even the bummiest clothing has dignity."
    Unfortunately, most people do not think so philosophically.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER PAI MEI View Post
    You act like you live in a bubble. People are judgmental, rude and insensitive. Just look at how much reaction this has received. Now go outside dressed as a thug and walk around and see what happens. Im not saying its right to be judged I'm saying RZA is acknowledging the fact people judge you based off appearance. Racism exists, profiling exists, buffoons exist, dumb cops exist, morons, ignorant douchebags etc... Why not try and remove obstacles?

facts

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

As baffling, appalling, and hypocritical as I thought Rza's statements were, the one thing I can grant him is that it does sound like he's speaking from the perspective of a father.

He's certainly fully aware of the climate around police and young black men and what better way is there for him to try to minimize his sons' interaction with police than to suggest they don't dress thugged out. Of course, wearing a dress shirt wouldn't always save them or any other young black males from a potentially fatal encounter with cops but it could at least lower their odds of having any interaction at all.

He just sounds so incredibly hypocritical in the way he talks about it, making NO acknowledgment of his enormous contribution to the very image he's condemning. Wu-Tang is virtually synonymous with hoodies.

To make no acknowledgment of the out-of-control epidemic of police murdering people of color was also a major slap in the face to the black community.

Watching that interview it seems more and more Rza enjoys hearing himself talk and he can get caught up in saying some bullshit that sounds completely out of touch with the current state of the world. Not what you'd expect from the wise Abbott, but he's a very different person these days. (The debacle of ABT being a prime example.)

There's some sense to what he's saying but it's wrapped in so much bullshit and pandering to the well-to-do white Bloomberg TV audience that Rza really deserves all the scorn he's been getting.

The Rzarectah has always been my favorite Wu artist and one of the most influential figures in my life but I fear he's on the verge of becoming irrelevant as a public figure when he makes statements like this.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

That's a weak argument though, back in the early 1920's we (blacks) were getting lynched, killed, castrated...etc and we wore nothing but suits, thugging wasn't even thought of in a sense. At the end of the day when you live in a system of white supremacy they're still going to perceive you as a nigga.its like if we don't live up to their standards then it's a bad thing, if we wore suits they'll still have another thing they won't like to justify killing us. So that argument by Rza was real weak and he knows that. When you're in a position he's in "All lives matter" is the way to go. I'm not justifying dressing up with pants sagging or anything like that, but look at how they dress and the reaction to them vs us.

the first thing RZA commented on regarding the situation is that the police should be properly trained
    he then went on to say the youth could conduct themselves better and at proper hours of the day, he specifically said hoodies are all good, then threw in they could button up their shirts to present a better image.
    it was such a small point thrown in there. I can see both sides of it though

What percentage of the young black men that were shot recently were wearing hoodies or dressed in the 'threatening' way? The only 'obstacle' is that they're black.