Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you know any Jay-Z fans?

Was never a huge fan personally. I know a few cats who were. Dunno if they still are. So to answer the OP, nah not really.

I definitely was a big fan. Hes as good as any other rapper out there, with arguably much smarter and more moving lyrics than most other rappers.

I think after he retired in 2004 something changed. It seems like all his success and exposure since has been due to other artists: Coldplay, Alicia Keys, Beyonce, Kanye, Drake etc. Hes a smart enough businessman to keep the charade going that hes still an interesting and relevant artist, but hes 46 years old now he can't be part of youth culture anymore and he literally cannot make corporate business or the contents of his bank account an interesting topic for a rap album.

I was listening to The Dynasty recently (classic imo) and 'Soon You'll Understand' gave me the chills, the understanding of human nature and wordplay compressed into a 4 minute rap song is amazing.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Vol. 3

Come and Get Me & NYMP - severely underrated.
    Yeah NYMP is my shit, I play that at least 3 times when it comes on in the car. "A Week Ago" > Half these underground rappers catalogs. I know a few Jay Z fans, I don't even count the fans that hopped on when he dropped Blueprint 3, that's when all the hipsters came in. But you can't deny Jay Z has some bangers and quality tracks in his Arsenal. Manga Carter Has some bangers on it, I don't like Blueprint 3 or Kingdom Come even Jay said that was a weak album. I think he ranked that last when he ranked his own albums.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

up to "American Gangster" i used to buy all the Jay-Z albums.. he got a heavy catalouge for sure. great ear for beats, technically very gifted emcee, and while a lot of the shit he spits is just boasting and bragging each of his albums have a few thematical songs that are incredible and very well put together.. like Hollow said, even "Magna Carta" has some bangers, even though it feels like he ran out of things to rap about these days and he really want to be down with whatever is hip at the moment. his cover of Alphaville's "Young Forever" (LMAO) is one of the worst hip-hop songs to ever be released.. at least by a major artist. "Ice Cream 2" by Raekwon is up there too

i recommend reading Jay's book "Decoded" - it's not really a biography in the usual sense but mixes his thoughts about hip-hop, music, America, the art of live shows, etc., with biographical elements as well as breaking down some of his key verses, etc.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    But you can't deny Jay Z has some bangers and quality tracks in his Arsenal. Manga Carter Has some bangers on it, I don't like Blueprint 3 or Kingdom Come even Jay said that was a weak album.
    agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    I think he ranked that last when he ranked his own albums.
    you remembered right
    Retired.

u wanna ball till u fall? I can help u with that

Banned

Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.