1 20.00%
  • 2: Boring

0 0%
  • 1: Wackadoccious

1 20.00%

Thread: Q-Tip - Amplified

Default Q-Tip - Amplified

Q-Tip - Amplified

We all know Q-Tip as the 'lead' MC and self professed producer of A Tribe Called Quest, but when he struck out on his own with Amplified and later Kamaal The Abstract he caught a lot of undeserved shit. It's obvious most people wanted a return to Tribe's glory days of jazzy beats and abstract, friendly lyrics but that's not really what Tip was about at this stage... in any case, Amplified and Kamaal The Abstract remain two of the most underappreciated hip-hop albums around because of what Q-Tip had done before, so give them another listen before you deny the man his props. Dilla co-produced all but two of the songs on this album, and it shows. His sound was really forming and he was a fantastic keyboardist.

1. Wait Up - It's pretty easy to tell that Tips flow, voice & the beats are gonna overshadow his lyrics themselves... Tip is a talented cat, he can write songs really well. The beat is strange but still damn good. 4/5

2. Higher - Great beat, great hook, great lyrics. 5/5

3. Breathe & Stop - Was this the single or something? I might just be a fan of Tip and the beats but 5/5

4. Moving With U - Dilla was a genius with the keyboards on this shit... this is like that old school (it's old school now at least) NY sound. 4/5

5 - Let's Ride - This is the shit though. Best song of the album, that beat is brutal. 5/5

6 - Things U Do - Really chill, like the rest of the album. Tip shows off his hooks too. 4.5/5

7 - All In - This one I'm not feeling so much. 3/5

8 - Go Hard - Those keys at the start are great, it really sets the mood. Really simple, catchy beat. 4/5

9 - Do It - See #7. 3/5

10 - Vivrant Thing - Pretty good.. just not great 3.5/5

11 - NT (w/ Busta) - This album really changes sound in the 2nd half. This is a banger unlike the last couple of tracks, and that piano is nice. 4/5

12 - End Of Time - WHAT? This doesn't fit the mood of the album at all. It's still an alright track I guess. But the bonus track really shines. So the first track = 3/5, the hidden track is 5/5

This is x-posted from the AHH review forum, but it's a great album that shouldn't be overlooked. Next time I'll review Kamaal The Abstract (and hook a few people up, considering it's unreleased)
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

-

Gay ass album hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Breathe & Stop, Higher, Vivrant Thing are the only songs i like. End Of Time song i would've liked if he hadn't had the rock group Korn on it.

10/10 really good album

10/10 really good album

some of it was a little dull
    track 5 was dope (cant remember title)
    i was really moved by the final track where tip gets all autobiographical about his tribe days
    may have to post sum lyrics up later
    i still want a new tribe album though

separate thing anyone got his unreleased experimental jazz hip hop lp?
    supposed ta be tha shit

Wu Vatican

i always liked the album.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Masta Killer
    separate thing anyone got his unreleased experimental jazz hip hop lp?
    supposed ta be tha shit
    Yeah, I have it. Shit is just as good.
    Music labeler.
    last.fm

-

LOL@Hiphophead101. How could you possibly say this album is 10/10? It's one of the gayest rap albums of all time. QTip was soft like a muthafucka on this album LOL. He was wearing purple furry slippers in Breathe And Stop video hahahahahahahahahahaha. This dude i know told me he used to have QTip's unreleased album Kamaal The Abstract and he said QTip sings on all of the songs. The dude told me he threw his copy of the album in the trash LOL.

This is a solid album Lets Ride is one of the sickest beats ever!

Charles Jones you're an idiot. Just 'cos he's not frontin' like he's a gangsta.

Album is dope + I really liked the last song, Korn were dope on it.

an album that threw off a lot of people when it first dropped, but this shit is fucking brilliant and it still growing on me for every listen. Q-Tip is a rap legend with mad skills on the microphone, immaculate wordplay and delivery plus some people would argue that an MC is based on "mostly the voice" and Tip's voice is so ill to say the least.

this ain't an A Tribe Called Quest album which is heavily reflected in the lyrics, The Abstract is mostly spitting club shit and vibing for the ladies but there's definitely some meaning and positivity behind some of the joints too. Actually i prefer this Q-Tip over these raw-to-the-core hard-ass fuck bouncing ass shaking beats that Jay Dee (with some additional touches from Tip) contributes to more-or-less the entire disc and while alot of these beats threw me off at first i grown to fucking LOVE the way this LP is executed.

"Wait Up", "Higher", "Breathe & Stop", "Let's Ride", "Virvant Thing", "Do It, Be It, See It", "Things U Do" and the rest of the hot shit on this disc was a perfect mutation of the minimalistic vibe aŽla 'Low End Theory' with Jay Dee's 98-99 bass-heavy bounce beats. DJ Scratch contributes two beats as well and while their not quite up to par they both bangers in my book. This still stands as Q-Tip's best solo album.

4/5

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

-

Whatever you say Claaa7 hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.