Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Guitarists

Johnny Marr (The Smiths). Very recognizable sound and hughly enjoyable. I'm not familiar with the work he did after The Smiths broke up.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 06-26-2018 at 01:45 AM.

I haven't really learned to play the guitar. If someone would want to show me some pointers, you can.

^great isht. I love that Paris soundtrack shit he did. Do u know of any other of his albums where he plays a lot of that sort of shit? The acoustic slide guitar n shit.

That's a fuc'n weird, chunky looking slide he uses too. Especially for a pinky finger one.

obviously Elias.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    ^great isht. I love that Paris soundtrack shit he did. Do u know of any other of his albums where he plays a lot of that sort of shit? The acoustic slide guitar n shit.

That's a fuc'n weird, chunky looking slide he uses too. Especially for a pinky finger one.
    yeah man, great soundtrack. i'd say his other soundtrack stuff honestly. Southern Comfort, Performance, some stuff off Long Riders like 'Archies Funeral', Alamo Bay and some great tracks on the "The End of Violence" soundtrack. also earlier albums like "Boomer's Story". he pops up all over the place playing slide on various tracks of his own and other's of course, the soundtrack stuff obviously just has more of an instrumental focus.

why the fuck can't you post more than one video per post smh

Peace God. Def dig that shit u posted. Will look into the joints u mentioned.

Since you all keep begging me for it, I decided to post a list of my personal top 20 guitarists...

1. David Gilmour
    2. Roy Buchanan
    3. Mark Knopfler
    4. Ronnie Earl

The rest is in no order, though I might categorise them a bit.

Blues guys...

Freddie King
    Albert King
    Albert Collins
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    T-Bone Walker
    Buddy Guy
    Eric Clapton (Not strictly a blues guy, but his blues playing is why I love him)

Acoustic...

John Fahey
    Nick Drake (moreso cos of the way he composed songs on guitar than his actual playing)
    Neil Young (great electric guitarist as well though)
    Harry Manx (slide)

Instrumental...

Danny Gaton (a lot of his music was average to shit, but his playing was brilliant, and his blues tracks were fucking amazing)
    Larry Carlton
    Tinsley Ellis (blues guy who sings as well, but he's on my list for his instrumental album 'Get It', which is amazing)

The final 2 spots could have gone to a number of different cunts, but I decided to go with 2 guys who I'm not enormously fond of, but who I had to put ahead of all my other possible choices...

Jimmy Page (Maybe the best all rounder ever. Rhythm, lead, acoustic, electric, slide. Still not that enormous a fan, but def still love his playing)
    Jimi Hendrix (Watching Hendrix I actually find it off putting how effortlessly he played. You look at him and it's like this guy's not even trying, but what you actually hear is ridiculous and flawless, lolz. Touch/feel is number one for me, which is why I don't like him as much as others (same with Page). I mean the guy had amazing touch/feel, but when you watch him play it's hard to imagine he's really connecting with what he's doing on that level. The compilation of his blues shit ('Blues') is legendary though. No doubt dude was an absolutely fucking amazing player).

A few other guys who were strongly considered...

Duane Allman (amazing player, but not that fond of The Allman Brother's Band)
    Derek Trucks (Haven't heard too much of his studio stuff, but what I have heard didn't engage me too much. Amazing player though, especially slide)
    Joe Bonamassa (only heard a few of his albums and only into one of them, which is a full blues album and his playing is fucking fantastic)
    B.B. King (He's just not really one of my absolute fave blues players. Fucken love his playing, but not huge on his music. 'Spotlight on Lucille' is great though)
    Buckethead (His non metal shit is fantastic, but unfortunately the majority of his stuff is super fast metal shit, and tbh I fucking hate that garbage)
    John Lee Hooker (actually haven't heard that much of his stuff, but I like his style a lot. Might be on my list one day)
    Johnny Winter (Amazing blues player, but more show than feel is why I don't like him as much as others)
    Junior Brown (discovered this guy recently, and his ability is other worldly. Really unbelievable. But he's a country guy, and I don't fux wit' country. I've tried 2 of his albums and one had a blues instrumental, and it's out of this fucking world. If he was a blues player he'd prob go so far as to actually get an allocated top 5 spot in my list. Same with Danny Gaton, really)

Recently I forgot to bring my music device to work, and so I streamed a blues radio channel on my phone for the shift. There were 4 guys who made me grab my phone and check who it was as soon as I heard them play. They were...

Joe Bonamassa
    Tinsley Ellis
    Eric Clapton (got up after like 2 notes but then recognised who it was before I even got to my phone. Didn't know the song though)
    Jamie LaRitz (dl'ed the album and his playing was great, but pretty fucking middle of the road music and didn't like the vocalist. Will look into him some more though)
    Last edited by noel411; 10-20-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Since u all keep asking about it, I'll do some album recommendations for my top 20 guitarists, which I think best showcase their playing...

David Gilmour - live in gdansk, the division bell (pink Floyd), wish you were here

Roy Buchanan - Roy Buchanan, second album, live in 1971

Mark knopfler - communique, dire straits, love over Gold, making movies (all dire Straits albums)

Ronnie Earl - the colour of love, I feel like goin' on, spread the love, blues guitar virtuoso (live)

Freddie king - let's Hide away and dance, a Bonanza of instrumentals

Albert king - in session (with stevie Ray Vaughan), born under a bad sign

Albert Collins - ice pickin'

Stevie Ray Vaughan - anything, but in session is my fave

T-bone Walker - t-bone blues

Buddy Guy - a man and the blues

Eric Clapton - from the cradle, layla and other...

John Fahey - the yellow princess

Nick drake - pink moon

Neil young - harvest, unplugged

Harry Manx - anything, but West eats meat is prob my fave of his albums

Danny gaton - 88 Elmira St, unfinished business

Larry Carlton - Fire wire, sapphire blue

Tinsley Ellis - get it, midnight blue

Jimmy Page - first 4 Zeppelin albums

Jimi Hendrix - blues

PRODIGAL SUN

The Fogherty Brothers were mighty underated

does this include air guitar?