Thread: Table beer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Table beer

I was grocery shopping today and happened to come across table beer for adults. the bottle I bought has 3.4% alcohol. for comparison's sake : regular beers (not specialty beers) have about 5.2% alcohol over here. it is sold in large bottles (75 cl which is about 25 oz). bottles go from $1 to $1.5 so the stuff is cheap. I'm downing a glass right now to see what it tastes like. it's alright I guess lol

the most famous local brand. I bought the cheap knock off though

table beer is meant to be drunk with lunch. most school refectories over here in Belgium served them until the 1990s. then soft drinks took over in popularity I guess. kids' table beer has about 1.5% to 2% alcohol. I remember drinking this stuff at school every day from age 9 to age 14 or 15. it was one of those things that was just standard issue at school. we never had it at home though

the product has become pretty much obsolete by now

kind of crazy to think about the fact they served kids light alcohol beverages at schools. I don't see this happening anymore in the current climate of helicopter parenting etc.

then again some scientists are asking for table beer to return to schools since it would keep kids off sugar (soft drinks)

this kind of thing ever exist around your neck of the woods?
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 04-06-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    Retired.