52 20.72%
  • mediocre

3 1.20%
  • WACK like that

4 1.59%
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: Ghostface Killah - Fishscale

Veteran Member

this is Ghost's most overrated album IMO...the only true standouts are Shakey Dog, which is really nice storytelling, vivid details and all with a nice beat to go with Ghost's delivery, which is amazing on the song, and The Champ, which is another masterpiece by Just Blaze and Ghost kills it. 9 Milli Bros, Be Easy, Clipse of Doom (not a good beat but Ghost's third verse especially is insane), and RAGU are great tracks too, but there are weak spots popping up throughout. Beauty Jackson is average and too short, Back Like That is alright but is an obvious attempt at commercial success, Jellyfish has a wack beat and is average at best, Barbershop seems unnecessary, Big Girl has a nice message but the song itself is boring, Momma has annoying singing, and Three Bricks is way worse than Niggas Bleed (why did it feature BIG's verse anyway). The album is a solid 3.5/5, but its replay value isn't great, and is less than More Fish imo. Still a solid album but not near classis status or even the best of 2006.

Shaolin Master

After listening to the Big Doe Rehab and 8 Diagrams for the past few weeks I decided to go back to and really listen to all the Ghosts albums in order. Maybe, it was that I had heard a few of the tracks prior to the release and the album lost its sound on me or maybe it was that I was listening to the same old music. Either way I over looked this album big time!!!!
    Evere since I waited for the release of Supreme Clientele to drop over here in Ireland (before the internet became what it is) I used to love the build up to Wu albums release.
    Bulletproof Wallets came and didn't dissapoint (that was even before I had heard the left over tracks.)
    Pretty Toney, suffered because I had heard Ghost freestyle a few of the tracks prior to its release and by the time I had got the album had most of the tracks,but like Ghost albums a bit of time and the grow into the cohesive classics that become hard to split up to just listen to one song before humming the following tune.
    As for Fishscale, in the build up to this album I had lower expectations with the announcement of no Rza beats.In addition to the tracks swarming around the net and every website claiming it to be a banger, by the time I had got the album I had this feeling of being short changed - like going to a movie and being told the ending just minutes before the plots climax.
    As a result Fishscale came and went, quickly followed by More Fish which I felt had more of an underground album feel as I had little to no expectations. Gradually with time I began to appreciate More Fish and resent Fishscale as a bloated album which was geared for radio - Be easy, back like that, momma....
    Although I've always kept the majority of the album on my i-pod I always found it was an album that I would just stick one song on repeat and forget about the album as a whole.
    Anyway, after listening to BDR I've got to admit I went back to check and see if I had missed something along the way........YES!!!!
    Shakey Dog no longer had the constant reminder of Ghost rhyming over Rae's beat (Pitbulls.) Kilo's was no longer some Dipset sounding track with a vocal sample. The Champ was no longer an attept to recreate a banger over the most aggressive track on the album and finally 9 milli bros wasn't the nightmare cut and paste track that had sub-consciously triggered my finger to hit the forward button.
    Instead the album just flows with emotions and moods to boot, almost as eccentric as Ghost himself. The Doom tracks were no longer some "killer" karaoke but tracks like Clipse Of Doom have changed my opinions on Ghosts recycling of beats.
    At the end of the album there was nothing to do but hit play and enjoy again, no longer was it a case of certain tracks being held out on there own, but instead the album has matured into another Ghost classic. 9.5/10

Banned

sorry guys..but this is an average album

this album ain't that great

penalty boxed user Maccabee Ridah's Avatar

Fuckin classic!!! This is one of best Ghost's releases ever!!! I found dope at least 10 tracks!!!

Voted for CLASSIC!

P.E.A.C.E.

I love Ghost (dont we all?) and put Ironman and SC in the all time classic list (where is Ironman in this area btw) but I don't dig this album. 3 Bricks is a major exception although I see it gets much hate here. Personal taste is a funny thing isn't it.

dusted off this release yesterday and bumped it through once yesterday and then another time today with some added bonus tracks from original sessions that didn't make the final cut sprinkled in the mix ("Charlie Brown", replaced "Barbershop" with the original full length version - love the 2nd verse and hook, don't know why the fuck he would cut that out, "Chunky" and "Murda Goons" - all dope songs that would have benefited the album even more).

this album still bangs heavy, lyrically Ghost is true to form here, great storytelling on joints like 'Barbershop', 'Underwater', 'Whip You With A Strap', 'Beauty Jackson' and the obvious 'Shakey Dog'. the way he flexes his lyrical muscles on 'The Champ' is just ridiciolus; "I'm James Bond in the octagon with 2 razors" or "My arts is crafty darts while you stuck with 'Laffy Taffy' wondering how did y'all niggaz get pass me/ i've been doing this before NaS dropped the nasty!!" - ILLLLLL!!
    the drug-theme and coca shit is heavy on this album too (hence the name, lol) and is probably Tony's most drugged out effort yet, wheter it's breaking down the game with Raekwon on the heavy but minimalistic 'Kilo' (some people complaining about this one but i've always liked it) or intimite drug stories about overdoses and undercovers on the soulful 'Crack Spot' (another joint that don't get enough praise).

the main problem with the album is that there is so many styles pushed into the 65 minutes and Tony rips all types of beats, from the weirdest MF DOOM beats, to heavy Pete Rock production to traditional R&B-flavoured jams like 'Momma' and 'Back Like That'. while it's all over the place it still can be looked at as Ghost showing off his diversity and it really ain't that much to complain about imo. some parts of the album could definitely have been EQ'd and mixed better though; for example the Clan cut sounds (as most of y'all already mentioned) very cut-and-paste except for Ghost, Rae's and Cappa's verses so half of the song seems kinda wasted despite the, in my opinion, extremely dope beat. "Jellyfish" is another throwaway and "Three Bricks" should have been placed on the Biggie Duets album rather than here. Still a very solid effort from Tony Starks and for some reason very overlooked on Wu-Tangs own site while every other publiciations praised the shit out of it, lol. Without a doubt one of the 10 best Wu-Tang albums between 2000-2009 as of yet.

4/5

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Banned

"the magical mystery tour of rap," so said one critic. couldn't have said it better myself. dope album, versatile as hell

I don't understand the somewhat lukewarm reception this album got here. Album is the shit!

ILLadelph (but just moved to Ft.Lauderdale)

how is there all this hate for "jellyfish"????

jellyfish was the first song i loved from this album. super dope unique beat that sounds like it sampled a tiny piece of some 70's shaft joint.
    the 3 verses are ALL dope!!!!!

but yes, wiggs is wack on the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by pmack215 View Post
    how is there all this hate for "jellyfish"????

jellyfish was the first song i loved from this album. super dope unique beat that sounds like it sampled a tiny piece of some 70's shaft joint.
    the 3 verses are ALL dope!!!!!

but yes, wiggs is wack on the hook.
    The verses are solid enough, I don't know about "dope". You're right though, I love the tune. It works perfectly fine within the context of the album.

3rd best Ghost album. Superior!