Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blunted Soul

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

Default Blunted Soul

Does anyone here remember RZA doing a compilation called Blunted Soul? The tracklisting was on a geocities website, but I can't find it. All I found was:

Various Artists - Blunted Soul Compilation (Razor Sharp/Epic) (ft. Blue Rasberry, The RZA, Cappadonna, Poppa Wu, Ghostface Killah, Method Man, Street Life, BKNY, Born, Tekitha, Wetheads, 4Kast, & Uncle Pete)

If anyone can pull up the tracklisting, put it up please. Thanks

what the hell is this? which year was this from around?

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

turns out "Blunted Soul" was also the name of an album The RZA produced for Blue Raspberry in 1994 - in this interview he said he had already made 5 songs for it. imagine that ish!!!

http://www.unkut.com/magazine_vault/rza_rappages2.jpg

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

yeah last i remember, it was a blue raspberyy album

Rza has more failed projects than new York housing

No it was an actual album. I remember a song called Stormy Weather by Blue Raspberry, and Daily Routine off the first Bobby Digital album was off Blunted Soul as well. There was an actual tracklisting.

^^ I can vaguely remember a partial tracklisting...

Tekitha - Sweetah Love
    Streetlife - Shattered Armor
    RZA - Daily Routine
    Cappa & Ghost - '97 Mentality

There was also a track called Remington Steel and a track featuring Blue Raspberry, Popa Wu and Uncle Pete.

Wasn't it supposed to be some sort of Hip-Hop/RnB crossover compilation?

Peace!

Shaolin Master

It might have started as a Blue Rasp project, but by the time of Forever it was a mostly RZA produced R&B compilation album due to drop on Razor Sharp (June 97 source).

I think any tracklisting that came out was fan speculation w/ potential tracks though.

example:
    Various Artists - Blunted Soul Compilation (Razor Sharp/Epic) (ft. Blue Rasberry, The RZA, Cappadonna, Poppa Wu, Ghostface Killah, Method Man, Street Life, BKNY, Born, Tekitha, Wetheads, 4Kast, & Uncle Pete)
    AllHipHop.com: You started working with Wu-Tang in ‘94, but you’re album Out Of The Blue didn’t come out until 2005. Can you kind of explain what that delay was all about?

Blue Raspberry: Well I was supposed to have an album come out called Blunted Soul that RZA was telling people to look for. I just caught myself self still going into the studio doing hooks and things like that. It got to the point where I would say I needed money, but I would wait ‘til my bills got piled up so heavily and then all of a sudden you know he’ll send me 2,500 [dollars] here, 2,500 there. One time he sent me 10,000, that was just once. That was between the years of ‘94 and ‘98 or ‘99.
    http://allhiphop.com/2007/03/26/blue...breaking-free/

Also by 99 I think it was retitled to Black Shampoo on those "live it, breathe it, possess it" ads

Shaolin Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    ^^ I can vaguely remember a partial tracklisting...

Tekitha - Sweetah Love
    Streetlife - Shattered Armor
    RZA - Daily Routine
    Cappa & Ghost - '97 Mentality

There was also a track called Remington Steel and a track featuring Blue Raspberry, Popa Wu and Uncle Pete.

Wasn't it supposed to be some sort of Hip-Hop/RnB crossover compilation?

Peace!
    Again, i think that partial list was mostly fan speculation on loose songs that were likely to go onto Blunted Soul, especially b/c many of them were on the Big Kap mixtape that was a Wu Tang Records/Razor Sharp & Blunted Soul was supposed to be a Razor Sharp project.

btw does anyone know what is this "black shampoo" group or artist?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    btw does anyone know what is this "black shampoo" group or artist?
    Deadly Venoms + Makeba Mooncycle + Tekitha + Blue Raspberry etc...

I believe Black Shampoo was Tekitha, Blue Raspberry & Jamie Summers. Makeeba was from Timbo and Prodigal's side. Deadly Venoms were Mook's project.

Remington Steel became Daily Routine. Loved that title, using it for something. Stormy Weather was definitely a Blue Raspberry track for that project.

Old School

Yes, Blunted Soul began as a Blue Raspberry album, as confirmed in the Rap Pages interview posted above. I was actually coming here to post a blurb from a 1996 Wu-Banger that said the same - I believe it was referencing the Rap Pages article.

The album was supposed to follow on the heels of Blue Raspberry's solo song on the Don't be a Menace soundtrack, which also featured Winter Warz.

By March 1997 the project had become a Razor Sharp compilation, which would include the Blue Raspberry songs, adding new material from Tekitha and others on the Razor Sharp roster. It had been slated for release Fall '97, but of course never happened. RZA had definitely spoken about this several times.

Mike Pizzo of HipHopSite supplied this info to John Book of U-Wu for issue # 72, March 1997:

==========================================

Besides working on Wu's album and his own solo album, THE RZA is
    working on a producer-type album in the vein of Erick Sermon, Dr. Dre, and
    DJ Muggs. The album is called "BLUNTED SOUL" and will be released by Razor Sharp/Epic Records. Each and every track will be blessed with the RZA touch. Here is the track listing:

UNCLE PETE featuring TEKITHA-Chicken Head
    4KAST-Conspiracy (Chance To Be...)
    BLUE RASPBERRY featuring THE RZA-Stormy Weather
    BLUE RASPBERRY featuring THE RZA-Gotta Go
    BLUE RASPBERRY-Hold Me
    TEKITHA-Ride This Wave
    BLUE RASPBERRY, THE WETHEADS & BKNY-Let Me Shine
    GHOST FACE KILLER/METHOD MAN/STREET LIFE-Box In Hand (original mix)
    CAPPADONNA & GHOST FACE KILLER-'97 Mentality
    POPPA WU & UNCLE PETE-Wu Revolution
    THE RZA & BORN (of KILLARMY)-Remington Steel
    TEKITHA-Look Into Your Eyes

==========================================

As we know, the Box In Hand (Original Mix) was eventually released on a Ghostface project, but had originally been on an advance version of Ironman. '97 Mentality was moved to The Swarm compilation (after promo singles) and Wu-Revolution found its way onto Forever.

I always imagined that the Shaolin Soul bootlegs and eventual RZA/Soul Temple compilation of the same name derived the title from Blunted Soul.

Logitrax, you're the man ! Thanks!

Old School

You're very welcome!