Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have people stopped pretending Fishscale was an outstanding album?

Default Have people stopped pretending Fishscale was an outstanding album?

I remember when this entirely forgettable album dropped, and for some thyme after too I think, we had all the usual comical nonsense on here about it being a 'classic' and whatever, lolz.

But I noticed in a couple of recent discussions on ghost, nobody was talking about it.

Is it commonly accepted now that it was a totally forgettable album?

I always thought it was average at best. I never understood the praise it got one here.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Ghostface>>>other rappers, pretty much.

BTW this is getting old noel. Go listen to The Little River Band or something ffs.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

this album is one of ghost better albums short 2 or 3 tracks could be cut but even then the way the album plays shit is better than allot rappers lp's outta here with 0 cuts that you remember

Fishscale was a product of it's time. A lot of things got underserved praise at that time

papoose
    joe budden
    all of those ny niggas that were going to 'save hip haap'

why? Because Fishscales era was the lowest creative point in hip hop history. That was the 'who's better, 50 cent or Nas?'/ 'Rakim ain't getting money tho' era. laffy taffy. snap music, hypy, trash attire. Charles Hamilton. etc Hip Hop was left dazed and confused by the fall of the traditional record label and rise of the internet. it was also the 'I don't be on the internet blogging and shit' era where rappers felt particularly proud of being computer illiterate.

So in the midst of this storm, to make an album with words and sounds made you a genius. I honestly feel More Fish was a superior album to fishscale but it's shitty name won't allow it to be great. Ghost made a mediocre album in at shitball time which solidified him as Top 5 DOA in rap.
    Last edited by TSA; 06-23-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Those years were the reason most of us don't even listen to rap anymore. Fishscale was boring but ok. The Def Jam era is ghost's worst. I'm sure in Def Jam's mind 'the internet' killed them. An album called fishscale where he's scaling a fish on the cover? What if he had been on Def Jam in 04-07 and dropped Ironman? It would have a missy feature and he would be wearing this on the cover.

Last edited by TSA; 06-22-2016 at 08:13 PM.

sorry to over post

re-listening to the album, best songs are
    Shakey Dog
    Ragu,
    Clips of Doom,
    Jellyfish (which is great, flows like Supreme),
    Big Girl,
    Underwater,
    Momma,
    Three Bricks (biggie killed them, using the verse from a well known BIG song is lame)

the rest are a waste of time.

Nice couple of threads about Ghost's career.

Both Fishscale and More Fish had a mixtapeish feel to it. No cohesiveness and lots of fillers.

Def Jam was a shitty label, and I doubt that Ghost had any real creative control. Big Girl is my favourite.

Also, Theodore unit. What a bunch of amateurs, excluding Trife. Cappadonna's role was pathetic as well but I'll give him a pass cause he was in his cab driving days at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    Fishscale was a produce of it's time. A lot of things got underserved praise at that time

papoose
    joe budden
    all of those ny niggas that were going to 'save hip haap'

why? Because Fishscales era was the lowest creative point in hip hop history. That was the 'who's better, 50 cent or Nas?'/ 'Rakim ain't getting money tho' era. laffy taffy. snap music, hypy, trash attire. Charles Hamilton. etc Hip Hop was left dazed and confused by the fall of the traditional record label and rise of the internet. it was also the 'I don't be on the internet blogging and shit' era where rappers felt particularly proud of being computer illiterate.

So in the midst of this storm, to make an album with words and sounds made you a genius. I honestly feel More Fish was a superior album to fishscale but it's shitty name won't allow it to be great. Ghost made a mediocre album in at shitball time which solidified him as Top 5 DOA in rap.
    god, this era was trash and is indeed when i started listening to less and less rap.

thread is based on a flawed premise though, fishscale is a consistently solid album with some great songs.

theodore unit should never have happened, and gorilla hood and the original version of paychecks should've been on the pretty toney album instead.

Love this album, bumpin it whitout a skiping. Love Dooms beats. One of my fav GFk albums. Easy in top 3.

The reaction to FS on here was pretty pathetically sycophantic. I thought it was average from day one.

TSA said it, but the people overrated FS based on how bad everything else was at the time

http://www.metacritic.com/music/fish...ostface-killah

pitchfork, typically, had a ridiculous review:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/3637-fishscale/

i remember catching alotta heat for calling this album mediocore at best, ALOT OF HEAT

TSA on point posts. I hated this album to be honest. I'll go back & listen with fresh ears someday.

Quote Originally Posted by SL33 View Post
    Nice couple of threads about Ghost's career.

Both Fishscale and More Fish had a mixtapeish feel to it. No cohesiveness and lots of fillers.

Def Jam was a shitty label, and I doubt that Ghost had any real creative control. Big Girl is my favourite.

Also, Theodore unit. What a bunch of amateurs, excluding Trife. Cappadonna's role was pathetic as well but I'll give him a pass cause he was in his cab driving days at that time.
    hahahahaha
    dude is retarded. Why would you sign up to be the weed carrier of your peer?
    I wonder if the rise of Uber is linked to him having enough free time to pump out all of his new 'music'.

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
    i remember catching alotta heat for calling this album mediocore at best, ALOT OF HEAT
    me too bro, me too.