Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bench Press, dead lift, and squat

What's the science on working with your own body weight? (Jumping jacks, lunges, push ups and all that other fun stuff)

I know its working for me cuz I see changes but how often should I do it.

Either do machines, body weight and/or running, 5/6 times a week and trying to figure out a good balance. Probably gonna add swimming too.

Not trying to be a beast or anything. I just like to be fit and the gf doesn't mind either.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by Rame View Post
    What's the science on working with your own body weight? (Jumping jacks, lunges, push ups and all that other fun stuff)

I know its working for me cuz I see changes but how often should I do it.

Either do machines, body weight and/or running, 5/6 times a week and trying to figure out a good balance. Probably gonna add swimming too.

Not trying to be a beast or anything. I just like to be fit and the gf doesn't mind either.
    Calisthenics is a great way to build strength and to tone your body. Pushups, one arm pushups, pullups, running, and lunges are overall good, especially for cardio.

If you want to tone your body, Calisthenics and the use of machines is the way to go. If you want to get big, heavy weightlifting is what you want.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

I'd say weightlifting is quickest way to make muscles grow or either lose fat. Or both at the same time if you're new to working out. If you want to be athletic, fast and functional I would say calisthenics are the way to go (don't do calisthenics if you're more than just a little overweight, start losing fat first if that's the case).

You don't have to choose, you can do both of course. You can even combine calisthenics with weightlifting. Like, if 20 push ups becomes too easy, strap on a backpack and put some weights in it and see how long it will take til you can do 20 now. Same with pull ups and dips.

For looking good and feeling fit I would say do it all and eat healthy.
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

For sure. I've noticed this too because I've mostly focused on calisthenics for the past month and it's almost like my body tells me to pick up some weights haha. I do like the results tho.

Weight is not an issue with 80kgs at 186cm.

I will make time available for both.

Break fast is served

vader, do you have a poster of him on your bedroom wall?

Best abs in the game. Dude is inspirational, too bad you gotta roid hard for that.

Do you have a pic of me on Your wall? If you have any more gay tendencies like this stop drinking your local water...
    Break fast is served

{>____<}

^What's your bench?

Ironman's post is pretty much spot on. Squats do it all in one go. I hate leg workouts and used to hate squats but now I'm with the shits. I saw the most results as far as toning from running and eating spinach.

If you cut carbs out of your diet (keto diet) you'll see results immediately in losing weigh, gaining muscle and toning. 80% of the game is what you're eating honestly. I've heard that 3 days working out a week is just as effective as 5 days or 7.

I still don't fuck with squats. I hate 'm. Deadlifts and Farmer stairs is all I do for legs. My legs are slightly underdeveloped by bodybuilding standards, but I feel it's more aesthetic this way. Quads still popping, hams and glutes still solid. Cycling a lot has made some smaller muscles around my hips grow too strong to squat properly with the right muscle engagement. So fuck that shit.

I work out 3 days a week and do full body. No bro split nonsense. Full mother fucking body. Deadlifting 3 times a week. 1 day lightweight, but I add kettlebell swings. I've been messing with many different programs already, but 5x5 full body works the best for me.

Also, keto or any carbless diet is gonna tone your shit down and make your muscles look flat as french pancakes. It does really help with losing fat as your insuline levels will be low. But I prefer intermittent fasting for that. It also has a lot of other benefits, plus you wont be farting disgustingly all damn day.

RT.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    Ironman's post is pretty much spot on. Squats do it all in one go. I hate leg workouts and used to hate squats but now I'm with the shits. I saw the most results as far as toning from running and eating spinach.

If you cut carbs out of your diet (keto diet) you'll see results immediately in losing weigh, gaining muscle and toning. 80% of the game is what you're eating honestly. I've heard that 3 days working out a week is just as effective as 5 days or 7.
    Good.

Quote Originally Posted by JASPER View Post
    I still don't fuck with squats. I hate 'm. Deadlifts and Farmer stairs is all I do for legs. My legs are slightly underdeveloped by bodybuilding standards, but I feel it's more aesthetic this way. Quads still popping, hams and glutes still solid. Cycling a lot has made some smaller muscles around my hips grow too strong to squat properly with the right muscle engagement. So fuck that shit.

I work out 3 days a week and do full body. No bro split nonsense. Full mother fucking body. Deadlifting 3 times a week. 1 day lightweight, but I add kettlebell swings. I've been messing with many different programs already, but 5x5 full body works the best for me.

Also, keto or any carbless diet is gonna tone your shit down and make your muscles look flat as french pancakes. It does really help with losing fat as your insuline levels will be low. But I prefer intermittent fasting for that. It also has a lot of other benefits, plus you wont be farting disgustingly all damn day.

RT.
    Good info, Jasper. Curious. What's your deadlift?

I got a 6 plate Deadlift. I one rep max just once every two weeks or so. I stay with 5 plate for my 5x5 because I'm doing fullbody work outs. Too be fair, I often don't even finish my last set lol.

Deadlift and Overhead press are my strongest lifts. For some reason my bench still sucks. I'm happy with my chest though. Especially upper chest. Which I think is because my OHP.

3 day split is all you need unless you're training as a competitive bodybuilder, Keto is also great. Do not ever listen to mainstream "diet" advice. Fat and protein is good, sugar is bad, it's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by JASPER View Post
    For some reason my bench still sucks. I'm happy with my chest though. Especially upper chest. Which I think is because my OHP.

check your form. It's something people don't realise they're fucking up with bench. Are you tall? long arms?

If so, Make sure you're tucking your elbows when you lower the weight, also with tall body and long arms do not go to your chest, it's pointless and will destroy your rotator cuffs, 2-3 inchs off your chest with long arms is perfect. when I first started training 15 years ago, id constantly fuck my shoulders up over the year, and realised it was because my flat bench was too deep.

Also work on your Triceps. Triceps help massively in bench press. overhead lateral tricep extension 10 sets of 8. once a week will massively improve your bench power as will tucking your elbows when you bench.