Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The W is really underrated

Default The W is really underrated

Some of the verses are on part with that they were spitting on Forever, and this is Ghost's best performance on any album. Some greatest of all time level verses. Meth is on 'BlackOut' mode and I think that's his best work so he's solid too (though he was on some other shit on Forever too).

The only weak song is Conditioner. I think having odb as 'comic relief' was kinda lame and I feel like he played that role on this album, hence conditioner being weak. What made 36 good was everyone was equal and even though dirty was funny he wasn't expected to be an exception.

The choruses and hooks were solid, beats were exceptional for the most part. And it maintained the same tone and atmosphere through out. Ironflag on the other hand was just gay.

"Sodomize money, rape 200,000"

Chef went the fuck off too.

Banned

Not underrated to me the album is dope as fuck. Yeah conditioner is the weak link but over the years it grew on me. The beat is one of the most basic and monotonous Wu beats ever.

I Can't Go To Sleep is one of the best Wu songs ever.

The W is really that "36 Chambers" sound that people wanted from Forever. I still listen to this regularly and if you take a few tracks off the w and add in the few good ones from Iron Flag you get a really strong playlist. The W was really the Wu bringing back to the beginning.

I think it's not underrated as such since a lot of people like it, but it deserves higher acclaim than just "the best of the rest" albums that it gets noted for
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

BlessedRThoseWhoStruggle Wu Apprentice's Avatar

MC Conditioner goes hard imo maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite track on the album
    "The devil trembles when he knows the body is the temple and God is in you
    It's hard to continue when it's hard to offend you
    He snarls and sets traps, that have you setback
    The last round in this death match
    So strengthen where you're best at
    I promise you won't regret that" - Killah Priest

Love this album
    Retired.

Wu-Veteran

I agree with the thread starter. The W. Imagine this was the secret album..and came out now. It would flip lids.

Ranked Generals:

1 Ghost
    2 Rae/Deck
    3 GZA
    4 RZA
    5 Meth
    6 Masta Killa
    7 U God
    8 Cappa

Best tracks

Chamber Music
    Click click
    Hollow bones
    Cant go to sleep
    Jah World

Near classic. Gravel Pit and mc conditioner didnt fit imo

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

Classic. Love the production. Could do without Gravel Pit tho.. And yeah MC Conditioner is mad dope! Epic collabo right there.. Imagine a Snoop x RZA album with mad grimey beats

2000 was great after mehhhhh
    hip hop in general

I love this album!! One of my favourites!

It did take me a while to fully appreciate how dope it is though. I remember the Ghost Dog soundtrack came out about a year before The W. I still think RZA should have saved some of the Ghost Dog beats for The W. Tracks like Fast Shadow, 4 Sho Sho, The Man, East New York Stamp are all ill and would have fit perfectly on The W.

Peace!

nada ignorante

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Towers View Post
    Love this album
    N.I.

Careful click click is one the darkest hardest Wu beats ever, easily one of my favorites. I think this album is excellent. Only low points are MC Conditioner and the track with Nas - the beat kind of sucked. Ghost went the fuck off on this album.

Pity it was followed up with the awful Iron Flag

^I didn't even know you could make music like that. The concept alone is nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Towers View Post
    Love this album
    ^you just summed it up.

My first intro to wutang was Proteck Ya Neck 2000. I was pretty young and Busta Rhymes and Eminem were getting me into lyricism. When I heard that shit I didn't think there could be a better song lol. So my first intro to W was the W wutang. Then I got curious and listened to the first PYN and flipped shit. When I finally got 36 Chambers it was a rap but I was so used to their styles on the W that my first thought (outside of holy shit) was 'why are they all trying to sound like ODB'.

The U-God gun scene on Click Click saved western democracy.
    Last edited by TSA; 08-11-2016 at 11:58 AM.

these are the bones, bones from the grave of houdini, g-deini, rhymeoli noodles sprinkled on your hembri

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by Durag View Post
    ...the track with Nas - the beat kind of sucked.
    Talk about one of the darkest, hardest Wu beats ever...to me this is an incredible song!

I love that on Careful, RZA is basically trying to recreate the raw, warts-and-all earlier version of RZA, actually goes way overboard and the end result is still sooooo damn amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    ^I didn't even know you could make music like that. The concept alone is nuts

^My first intro to wutang was Proteck Ya Neck 2000. I was pretty young and Busta Rhymes and Eminem were getting me into lyricism. When I heard that shit I didn't think there could be a better song lol. So my first intro to W was the W wutang. Then I got curious and listened to the first PYN and flipped shit. When I finally got 36 Chambers it was a rap but I was so used to their styles on the W that my first thought (outside of holy shit) was 'why are they all trying to sound like ODB'.
    Pretty much same. I was listening to Eminem n Pac n Dre. I think my very first exposure to Wu was Cuban Linx & The Pillage that I bought at a record fair but my first album was the W. Put that on in the car on the way home n da fuckin drums on Careful shook the door. When Deck came on I creamed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by logitrax View Post
    Talk about one of the darkest, hardest Wu beats ever...to me this is an incredible song!

I love that on Careful, RZA is basically trying to recreate the raw, warts-and-all earlier version of RZA, actually goes way overboard and the end result is still sooooo damn amazing!
    Yeah I dunno I just never really liked that beat. Pretty boring.

Careful was a perfect updating of the sound on 36 Chambers and doesnt sound one bit dated to me. Great example of updating and expanding your sound without losing its magic.

Fuck I wanna go home and bump this album now