Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Tribe Called Quest Reportedly Releasing New Album With Phife Dawg

Default A Tribe Called Quest Reportedly Releasing New Album With Phife Dawg

Epic Records executive L.A. Reid revealed that A Tribe Called Quest has a new album coming out when he gave an interview with the Rap Radar Podcast.

“You know what I’m excited about, though? A Tribe Called Quest,” Reid says after being asked about the label’s current projects. “We have A Tribe Called Quest album coming.”

The pioneering 1990s Hip Hop group suffered a major loss with the passing of Phife Dawg earlier this year. The upcoming album was supposedly recorded before his death.

“I’m really happy about it, man,” the executive says. “It’s really something special. It’s one of the things I’m most excited about out of everything we’re working on.”

Reid explains how he already had an established relationship with the group and gives more details on what fans can expect.

“[Q-Tip and I have] a long relationship,” Reid says. “Q-Tip’s a real friend, man. We didn’t hang out, take pictures, and act Hollywood, but he’s a real friend. He’s made some incredible music and I love it. Phife is there, the whole group, Jarobi, everybody, the entire group. It’s great too. It’s coming very soon, it’ll be their first album in 18 years.”

The project will be Tribe’s sixth album and its first since 1998’s The Love Movement.

Earlier this year, Q-Tip reflected on Phife Dawg’s legacy after his passing.

“He left me with the gift of unconditional love and brotherhood that will NEVER be lost with me… Ever,” Q-Tip wrote. “As we commit his body tomorrow his spirit is with us… I take comfort in knowing that GOD is the best of planners. I take comfort in knowing that divine order is certain… I take pride in having the blessing of knowing and having Malik in my life.”
    Retired.

Can't wait

-

Nice to hear this and i'll be looking out for the album. Tribe should've never broke up and they should've released some albums after The Love Movement. Phife should've done several solo albums and I don't understand why he only did one album.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

nada ignorante

I listened to PDs debut album got some nice production from Pete.
    Hope this new project comes out.
    N.I.

Radical. I'd peep dat.

when i first heard about this i didn't really believe it would happen.. now we got a title and a release date.. album is called "We Got It From Here, Thank You For Your Service...". Article from HipHopDX

As part of an emotional interview with the New York Times, rapper/producer Q-Tip touched on his once-troubled relationship with fellow A Tribe Called Quest member Phife Dawg.

Although Tribe’s upcoming album, We Got It From Here, Thank You For Your Service is due out November 11, Tip explained that while working on the project, Phife appeared to be more concerned with repairing the relationship between the longtime friends.

“I really believe he did the traveling back and forth, not for this record, but to make sure that me and him, Malik and Jon, were OK,” Q-Tip said. “Not Ali. Not Jarobi. He came to my house to make sure that he and I were OK.”

Q-Tip also recalled his last conversation with Phife, a phoner in which Phife expressed his excitement at a potential track.

“Yo, make sure you send me that beat. I’ve got to put some verses to it. That beat is fire!” Q-Tip recalled Phife saying, mere hours before his death. The Five Foot Assassin passed away from complications due to diabetes in March.

“It’s so hard for me to sit in there and hear his voice,” he added. “Sometimes I just have to like take a break and walk away. It gets heavy. It doesn’t necessarily get sad, it just gets heavy. I literally feel the energy from him when I hear his voice.”

The chemistry between Q-Tip and Phife was later detailed in the New York Times piece by Busta Rhymes (one of the guests on the upcoming We Got It From Here, Thank You For Your Service, along with Andre 3000, Kendrick Lamar, Elton John and Jack White), who recalled the duo flaunting a “young” and “invigorated” vibe.

“I seen them laughing and joking and high-fiving, and you can just see that young, invigorated ‘We’re-just-getting-our-first-opportunity-to-do-this’ energy again!” Busta said. “I hadn’t seen Phife that happy since we were kids.”

it's fantastic that they actually got back together before Phife passed.. Q-Tip is still DOPE as hell behind the boards and on the mic.. can't wait for this album

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

and here is the cover art, posted by Q-Tip on InstaG

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMW_vRajKJa/

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

well I can't wait

I thought the De La album was dope. we're being spoiled this year when it comes to these kinds of acts returning to the scene
    Retired.

That cover is sick. Im really looking forward to the album but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was slightly put off by some of the guest line up.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Tribe does a good job blending off-beat guests into their sound.

ATCQ announce Pop-Up Shops In NYC to celebrate the release of their final album, the legendary group will host multiple pop-up shops in New York City this weekend at 393 Broadway in Chinatown.
    The shops will be open from 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Friday and noon to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The group will sell physical copies of the album as well as various merchandise themed after the album’s artwork. You can check the various merchandise on ATCQ’s website.

01. ‘The Space Program’
    02. ‘We The People…’
    03. ‘Whateva Will Be’
    04. ‘Solid Wall of Sound’
    05. ‘Dis Generatio’n
    06. ‘Kids…’
    07. ‘Melatonin’
    08. ‘Enough!!’
    09. ‘Mobius’
    10. ‘Black Spasmodic’
    11. ‘The Killing Season’
    12. ‘Lost Somebody’