Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Video) Nas Album Done

No, for exemple, Juice on Ready To Die had a comercial sound, the rest of the album didnt, Juice was for the radio, to make money, the rest of the album was for the true hip-hop heads.

lol what you're calling a non-commercial sound was the commercial sound of that year because everyone that released music that year on a commercial label also did it for commercial appeal. What commercial song did Ready to Die have? and what song on ready to die wasn't a hip hop heads?

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    lol what you're calling a non-commercial sound was the commercial sound of that year because everyone that released music that year on a commercial label also did it for commercial appeal. What commercial song did Ready to Die have? and what song on ready to die wasn't a hip hop heads?
    dude, I explained it on my post, Im not going to repeat myself, lol.

36 Chambers was commercial sounding in 1992? lol jesus christ.

And I never said because something is commercial sounding its bad. I'm talking commercial in general, not just by hip hop standards. People outside the hip hop world won't buying 36 Chambers.
    Last edited by MaskedAvenger; 09-15-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post

And I never said because something is commercial sounding its bad. I'm talking commercial in general, not just by hip hop standards. People outside the hip hop world won't buying 36 Chambers.
    for sure!

what was commercial in 1992 was new jack swing, sting, prince and michael jackson, not fuckin Wu-Tang Clan!

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    No, for exemple, Juice on Ready To Die had a comercial sound, the rest of the album didnt, Juice was for the radio, to make money, the rest of the album was for the true hip-hop heads.
    How does Juice 'sound' that's different from Unbelievable off the same albub and Can it Be off 36?

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post

lol I don't know a punk rocker that doesn't listen to 36 chambers and liquid swords, you know that.

Commercial is the positioning of the music, not the sound. Triumpth was commercial. Once a company is using your music for commerce it's commercial. Otherwise you're stuck with a completely subjective and impossible task of trying to pin down a 'commercial sound'. What Shimmy Shimmy Ya commercial? Because they play that at Karaoke bars for old white ppl.

By your standard any music on a label is commercial then.

100%. Unless you think labels having artists say they're 'underground' and duping people that don't want to buy things from labels isn't commercial. If you're doing it for money you're commercial.

Nas, It Was Written (1996)
    Label: Columbia

Roc Marciano: “Everybody says Illmatic all the time, and I love Illmatic too. But It Was Written, I love it a little more, because he had improved so much. The songwriting is next level. Nas is the Golden Child.

“I remember at the time, when it first came out, dudes didn’t appreciate it as much, because it wasn’t Illmatic, as far as the beats, you know, Trackmasters. But once it settled in, it was just jaw-dropping rhymes. And with the beats, over time your taste changes and you’re like, ‘You know what? This is not Illmatic, it’s just a little more sophisticated.’

“To me, that’s Nas’ best album. ‘Shootouts.’ What’s better than that?"

'I Gave You Power' & 'Shootouts' are still two of the best songs he ever wrote IMO

I had no problem with It Was Written. I don't think it was innovative enough to be considered a classic but if someone says it's better than Illmatic they're saying anything ridiculous. I like Illmatic more and the two are completely different albums and both excellent in their respective field. Like a one man 36 chambers compared to Forever.

I gave you power, street dreams, that one where they're all 'albert einstein minds blah blah', the message, live nigga rap, suspect, fuckin take it in blood ...cooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    I had no problem with It Was Written. I don't think it was innovative enough to be considered a classic but if someone says it's better than Illmatic they're saying anything ridiculous. I like Illmatic more and the two are completely different albums and both excellent in their respective field. Like a one man 36 chambers compared to Forever.

I gave you power, street dreams, that one where they're all 'albert einstein minds blah blah', the message, live nigga rap, suspect, fuckin take it in blood ...cooooooo
    Does music have to be innovative to be classic? Honestly a lot of classic albums are just the best versions of music thats been being made for years.

It Was Written is a classic album, although its imperfect its mostly incredible. I think Nas is a natural musician, his flow, storytelling and wordplay are generally way above any of his peers.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Does music have to be innovative to be classic? Honestly a lot of classic albums are just the best versions of music thats been being made for years.

It Was Written is a classic album, although its imperfect its mostly incredible. I think Nas is a natural musician, his flow, storytelling and wordplay are generally way above any of his peers.
    this

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!