Thread: Dom Pachino - 'Digital Warfare' + Teraban album

Default Dom Pachino - 'Digital Warfare' + Teraban album

Dom P posted a live vid on FB earlier today. It was a straight banger from Digital Warfare. The vid will probably online again soon. Dom said the album is dropping in January already?

Next to this solo project he is currently also working on th Teraban project with Bugsy.
    Retired.

PRODIGAL SUN

this is the projo im excited for

Bugsy says the new Teraban album will be called 'Camouflage Children'
    Retired.

I dont mean this in a derogatory way cos Dom P is on point. But how does he keep these albums coming like this? I know he must be hard worker, more than any of his team..like wheres 9th Prince? He should dishong em out like Dom too! Does Dom have a big following in US? How is is he keeping his machine afloat so long? He must be doing very well..Big up to him..I just curious cos inever hear anyone really mention Wu killabee artists ..seems Dom is equally consistant as KP and hes really the only other who is well known almost above underground...Just curious how Dom.P iskeeing this going so long. Big up to him, may he continue to release bangers!

two things you have to take into account :

*dom has a vast experience of running an independent record label, napalm records is over 10 years old

*when dom left the rap scene for 3 to 4 years after lukewarm reception of his last album and after shady behavior from his distributing partners, he seemed to have taken a lot of time out to think about both the musical side and the business side of things

musically he cut down his roster and went back to a wu / killarmy sound as evidenced by both the features and the beats on War Poetry

Businesswise he cut out distributors and does his own distributing now. He runs a very tight ship with as low risk taking involved as possible
    This is why physical copies are promoted as being limited editions (which they are) and upfront orders are necessary

When it comes to promotion dom and bugsy are very active on social media : interviews, previewing tracks, direct online interaction with their fans. This kind of promotion is free but is a lot of work on their part. Fortunately, since most of it involves social media, they can put in that work, any time, any place

finally they put in a lot of effort to tour abroad. The wu and killarmy still have a huge following on other continents (mainly south america and europe). These days they seem to focus on europe mostly when doing tours abroad. At the moment they are working on putting together a uk tour.

Do not underestimate the amount of physical copies and merch that still gets sold at concerts. They do the sales after the concerts themselves so it's a unique experience for fans to interact with the artists IRL

mainly what it comes down to is a healthy work ethic, being realistic (local young supporting acts with a big following are extremely important to the crowd turnout at their concerts and dom knows this), being modest (very necessary if you think about the big crowds killarmy used to draw at concerts, and the amount of cds they used to sell), and knowing what your fans want. Both the life of an entertainer part 2 dvd and the new teraban project are based upon fan requests.

any wu killa bee who isn't tied down to a record company contract could reach this level of success but I guess most of them don't have that go getter mentality and think everything should come to them automatically since they were (kinda) big in the nineties

I think dom spends as much time on business strategy as he does on his musical output
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 10-31-2016 at 03:20 AM.
    Retired.

Cappadonna is taking a different route in that I'm convinced a lot of his recent output on his own label is financed by :

*vast amounts of features on unknown artists' albums. I think he charges a sizable amount but is very approachable. I don't think the quality of the MCs or the beats matter much to him. I think Cappa finances his own albums mostly with the money he gets from the features he does

*working with cheap start up producers and no name features. Surely he has to pay the producers (but prices can't be high), but I wouldnt be surprised if featured artists either perform for free or have to pay to be on his records and earn somewhat of a loose affiliation with the wu

Now everything I said about Dom I am 100% sure of.

Everything I said about Cappa is just based on seeing his moves (enormous amounts of features, tracklists & producer credits for his latest albums) and is me coming up with theories

two things are sure when it comes to Cappa though : he still eats off concerts and, just like dom, he does his own distribution these days

now I don't know what recording deals they cut early in their careers but also take into account that theoretically at least both dom (killarmy days) and cappa (furst two solo albums mostly and his features on wu albums) could have put some money away from the golden years.
    Keeping in mind Cappa's highly publicized struggles this could apply moreso to Dom only. It's probably how he financed the start up of Napalm records and the signing of so many artists

I find it interesting to compare these artists cuz they keep on pumping out records but their business plan and musical choices seem very different

Cappa is coasting off his big name essentially and turning that name into direct or indirect money

His music sometimes suffers from poor quality control in the process. It leads to diminishing returns but I don''t think Cappa cares all that much.

Meanwhile Dom P is working the other way round. For about three years now since his return on the scene each of his record company's albums has been well received cuz of the high quality of music. He is building a brand that people trust, it leads to more sales for each new album

Bronze Nazareth & Black Day in July records, who also put out a lot of records, mostly do it the same way as Dom. They have three advantages :

*they have very strong in house production (Bronze, and Kevlaar7 - RIP)

*they have a large roster

*due to being a producer and not just an MC Bronze can cut deals with outside artists (Canibus, Willie The Kid) that help out everyone involved financially. Bronze can even get rid of lesser beats by selling them to bad rappers with lots of money whose release will remain under the radar anyway (I'm thinking of those eye-talian americans, 67Mob I think they were called) - so their release doesn't hurt his own brand

imo Bronze could improve on fan support even more if he got his self distribution sorted out cuz the shipping is very inconsistent

Finally, another artist who still drops records regularly is Killah Priest. He's had his own company, Proverb Records, for years now. He finances his albums with some quality features on quality albums, touring, branching off (wu goo - I don't know whether that's taking off though), self distribution and very high purchase prices for (at least) his two most recent albums

Essentially if you put in a LOT of work, have a good mind for business and have that WU brand to jump off from, you can still make it. Even at a smaller level, like Su-Preme (former Suns Of Man producer), who has been releasing (beat) compilations old and new, and Automatik Greatness (from Hell Razah's GGO camp), who has been releasing excellent physical albums over the last few years. Anthai Da Protagonist and American Poets 2099 are other examples.

Black Knights' story is completely different from the other artists mentioned here. After tons of shelved records they FINALLY caught a break when meeting John Frusciante, who has essentially kickstarted their career (his production, his label, his distribution contacts)

So either as a killa bee you have to put in a lot of hard work and/or get very lucky. When's the last time you heard about Shabazz or Frukwan? They could be tied down to record companies that won't release them though. Since I dob't know the ins and outs of their business I probably shouldn' t judge. Still, there's loads of killa bees that can't seem to get an album ou.

A final thought : any artist looking to increase their online presence should look at Hell Razah's business model. Clearly he is paying a few unconditional fans to keep him in the picture on social media all day every day and it's definitely paying off
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 10-31-2016 at 03:22 AM.
    Retired.

Cheers for the info Lee Towers, very helpful. Dom P is on point and sounds he works very hard, deserves allthe shi en rewards he reaps fromthis. Hesa good expample of what others should follow instead of blaming others for not helping them out now. Peace

PRODIGAL SUN

very detailed info,,,thanks lee towers

Dom Pachino - 'Digital Warfare' dropping December 25

Teraban - 'Camouflage Children' dropping April 1

(Source : Dom P FB post)
    Retired.