Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer snobs in the hizzouse

Banned

I remember when little creatures and James squire was pretty much all the craft beer there was, now it's probably like an entry level beer. I really like the jack of spades they make.

Through all the craft beer though you still can't beat a German beer. A Franziskaner dunkell can't be beaten.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Banned

There has been a microbrew explosion within the last decade.

There was a beer called Poperings Hommelbier that I had while visiting Belgium that was memorable.

i actually live in beer city too (grand rapids). i believe we have the only college in america with its own brewery, they are on damn well every corner and new ones pop up constantly. I used to be into it but wine is just so much better and less filling

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    I remember when little creatures and James squire was pretty much all the craft beer there was, now it's probably like an entry level beer. I really like the jack of spades they make.

Through all the craft beer though you still can't beat a German beer. A Franziskaner dunkell can't be beaten.
    The Squire Hop Thief American Pale Ale is a real top notch beer. Those ones along with Cricketers Arms and Mountain Goat pale ales are what I drink when there's no deals going on anything next level. Even the Squires I have to wait for Woolworths coupons because we don't sell them at my work. That's how I discovered those Pintails yesterday. Got a few groceries, checked my receipt for the Squire deal as always, and it was going so I wandered over the bottle shop and saw those Pintails while looking for a carton of Hop Thief. The next hour or so was utter madness trying to call my brothers and all three BWS shops around here before any had a chance to sell, then going to all three shops in person and finding the only fucking one that had any left (the 7 cases I bought) was the one I started at.
    I've had this American girl coming into work lately. The other day she bought a classy IPA and I got into a convo with her about craft beers. She said she lives in the craft beer capital of the US. I forget which state it was. Maybe one of the M ones? She said she lives in a small town about the size of where I live and there are 8 micro breweries there. There are zero where I live.

She also said when she gets home she will send me a mixed carton of American IPA's. If that is to happen then the day I recieve that carton will undoubtedly be the best day of my life.

She's not very attractive, but there is some desire there to fuck her. However, I think I should avoid that as I may be jeopardizing my prospects of making that carton of IPA's become a reality.

Also regarding German beers, I tried so, so many fucking beers when I was over there, and my word almost every one was fucking righteous. Same with the Belgian ones my uncle was packing when I stayed with him in Holland. I pretty much have no idea of any names though, and no German or Belgian beer I've had in Australia even comes close to the quality of beers I had there.

I remember in Germany, near the Swiss border, I stumbled upon a rare actual bottle shop, and spent fucking ages in there putting together 24 different beers. You can do that there because the price difference between one single beer and each beer in a full carton isn't so big.

Pretty much every fucking one of them was exquisite. And I know I kept the receipt. Whether or not I could find that receipt is another matter.

Those were big bottles too. Like a longneck or American 40.

Banned

Yeah the hop thief is great I love that too, thats a go to beer when it's on tap which is pretty much everywhere in the inner west. I think it was the hop thief or possibly another one called the general something? Which used to only be available at the squire bar brewery at darling harbour but I don't think that's around any more.

I've had a few American IPA's through my mate who gets them and they've all been great. They have weird names that you forget instantly which is the problem with craft beer lol

Some great German and Belgian beer I like that you can get from Dan Murphy's are

Delirium
    Chimay
    La Cheouf (sp?)
    Franziskaner
    Weihenstephaner

It doesn't compare to drinking it over there. I like the Bavarian bier cafe bevause I think it's a rule waitresses need to unbottom their tops. Isn't there a cricketers arms hotel near the SCG, is that the same company?

You need to drive down to Sydney and stock up a van full of beer lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dooch View Post

There was a beer called Poperings Hommelbier that I had while visiting Belgium that was memorable.
    There's been a really big difference between craft beer 10 years ago which was more in line with quality German and Belgian beers, than the craft beer of the last 5 years or so where it really borders on taking the piss lol once the hipsters got in to it the scene changed dramatically.

There was a craft cider scene in the middle of all that which seems to have died off.

Belgian beer is great too but a little heavy and less drinkable all night than German stuff.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Those were big bottles too. Like a longneck or American 40.
    You can get growlers here lol

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

^lolz almost looks like a port flagon.

Not sure what that other Squire would be. Funnily enough I'd say the second best Squire I've had is probably the mid strength. I think it might be called The Constable. Actually a very nice beer.

The La Cheouf is the only of the beers you mentioned that I can say with certainty that I've tried, but I still don't remember specifically which one it was, and chances are I've tried them all lolz.

Dunno bout Cricketers Arms hotel. I don't know when the last thyme I was in Sydney was. I haven't been near the actual city since I moved up the coast more than 8 years ago. But yeah, if I went anywhere near that place I'd almost certainly return home with my wagon full of trill beers lolz.

I have an app that gives me details on the craft I drink and helps me remember if a beer is shit or not. Untappd

My current stash is almost 50 different brews, can't wait to eat and drink the holidays away. Good beer is fuckin good

'

I probably spent several thousands drinking stuff like trappist ales etc a while back.

Now I just use that money to buy a good cut of meat once a week and a decent pilsner or mid-top shelf whiskey.

Also propane. I fuck with it heavily.. like Mister Yo's brain.

Quote Originally Posted by GZAjector View Post
    My current stash is almost 50 different brews
    Can I move into your place?

dont really drink beer or larger.. cos it sucks

i have been to a few pubs, that stocked local beers.. my fave is Piddle on the Island..
    http://www.piddlebrewery.co.uk/buy-piddle/

but 95% of the time ,its cognac...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    I probably spent several thousands drinking stuff like trappist ales etc a while back.

Now I just use that money to buy a good cut of meat once a week and a decent pilsner or mid-top shelf whiskey.

Also propane. I fuck with it heavily.. like Mister Yo's brain.
    Aye... it's not worth it although the first experience with a chimay after years of beer pong piss are quite divine.

It's all bout prime cuts, scotch/whiskey and a round of golf. And maybe a Percocet to calm your nerves on the first tee.

not sure if i've asked you before Doochie, do you like Chivas Regal or Dimple? they're the omly whiskeys i drink.

dont think ive had anything to drink for besides a 2 pints of piddle a few weeks back, for a few months.. the cabinet is full of whiskey/cognac, its taken me over a 6 months to get through a 7ocl bottle of remy martin.. lol dont even recall when i drank it last.

most of our cash is spent on fine foods.. mrs has gone veggie.. lol been like 3 months,, just means i gotta cook more ~:d
    Last edited by soul controller; 11-11-2016 at 08:19 AM.