View Poll Results: overrated?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 62.96%
  • No

10 37.04%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Kendrick Lamar is overrated as fuck?

he has some good stuff here and there but he is not the amazing rapper the masses say he is in my opinion.

Shaolin Master

For the hype he is getting, I would say he is overrated. He is decent with the flows, but his voice, and beat selection keeps me from truly getting into his music. Someone said Chance the Rapper is the same, and I agree. I find that dude completely annoying. Both leave a lot to be desired, and Kendricks crew, the black hippy shit, is just boring as fuck. I can respect the guys skills on the mic, but like Eminem, I find his albums to be vastly overrated.

As a rapper I don't think hes overrated, but I find it hard to get into his music. I found To Pimp a Butterfly pretty boring with not much replay value. I don't know why it didn't click for me it had most of the right ingredients with nice jazzy beats that were pretty much at odds with what everyone else in the mainstream was doing so I have to give him props for that.

I think his voice is a big issue.

He's ok, not great though.

I agree with Durag for the most part. I think everyone thats 'real hip haap' is overrated. For every 1 fan they have theres 10 people trying to gain social capital by say theyre a fan of them. Sometimes the actual rapper falls for the hype like nas did and they start thinking we expect them to save the world because they're good at rhyming words. They make trash music and everyone praises it because there's a lot to gain for fags im saying theyre a fan.

Most people who go around rating artists have no business doing so, they listen to 5 albums max a year but go around saying who the best is.

How can you tell whether something is overrated or you underrate it and everybody else rates it the exact right amount?

Anything thats popular or creates a cult following has to be overrated if you personally don't like it, right?

When it comes to anything creative there's a lot of subjectivity. Rapping on the other hand is a pretty objective practice and you can measure who can do it well and who can't pretty easily. Kendrick raps well so if anything he's underrated and everything else is a matter of opinion.

I just think it sucks for him that people feel the need to say they listen to him more than they actually listen to him cause we've all seen where that goes (Nas)

If he released his last LP on Stones Throw there would be no sales, and little acclaim from mainstream media. There would be a thread on WuCorp about how hes so underrated.

"Would you rather be underpaid or overrated"

I dont agree that he is overrated, he got to where he is because of his talent. His first album he intentionally used in house producers instead of Dr. Dre because he didn't want people to say he is successful only because of Dre.

Banned

In 10 years time people who shit on him now will look back on Good Kid Maaad City and say it was dope. People do it with 50 cent now. And yeah TSA is right about Nas, it gives people some false credibility to say they listened to Nas but secretly they were listening to Chingy and other less reputation enhancing rappers.

There seriously hasn't been a more overrated rapper in history than Nas but it's cool to like him and his wack albums.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Chingy lol

Don't people trash Nas albums all the time?

Hes a dope rapper but everybody that likes him knows a lot of his music is mediocre or plain stinks.

How do you get credibility from listening to a rapper tho?

De mijne is 4x duurder!

7 Golden Vampirez Poison Flowerz!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    In 10 years time people who shit on him now will look back on Good Kid Maaad City and say it was dope. People do it with 50 cent now.
    oNLY DICKRIDERZ HATE 50