Thread: 10 worst movies of 2016

Default 10 worst movies of 2016

10. ‘Allegiant’

And we thought ‘Insurgent’ was bad. If ‘The Divergent Series’ didn’t jump the shark with its 2015 sequel, it certainly did with this threequel — a sloppy and lifeless hooey-filled sci-fi flick that, admittedly, is beholden to some pretty weak source material.

9. ‘The Forest’

One of two terrible American movies about Japan's infamous "suicide forest" released this year, ‘The Forest’ is a turgid hike through horror clichés and nonsensical storytelling. Backpackers and horror fans alike would be wise to take the scenic route and avoid this washout.

8. ‘Warcraft’

There’s a good — possibly even great — movie buried somewhere in Duncan Jones's overstuffed adaptation of the internationally renowned video game. Unfortunately, that version of ‘Warcraft’ is lost amid truncated storylines, personality-free characters, and generic CGI violence.

7. ‘USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage’

Nicolas Cage headlined four films this year, and the worst of the bunch — by a lot — was this dramatic account of the famed WWII ship sunk by a Japanese torpedo. Chintzy special effects and unconvincing performances abound, though its biggest crime is saddling Cage with a painfully bland lead role.

6. ‘Independence Day: Resurgence’

Will Smith's best career decision in 2016 was saying "No" to the sequel that nobody was asking for. Indifferently directed by Roland Emmerich, ‘Resurgence’ manages to be less exciting — and looks more dated — than the original ‘ID’ video game … which was made in 1997.

5. ‘Get a Job’

After a four-year delay, this comedy arrived in theaters in 2016 — only to disappoint. Miles Teller and Anna Kendrick are charmless in this unfunny story about entitled 20-somethings who deserve nothing but eventually get everything. It's a film to make you hate millennials.

4. ‘Suicide Squad’

This year proved DC has yet to master its cinematic universe. If the grim ‘Batman v Superman’ wasn’t bad enough, David Ayer’s anticipated ‘Suicide Squad’ proved no consolation prize, wasting charismatic performances from Margot Robbie (as Harley Quinn) and Will Smith (as Deadshot) in a frenetic, incoherent antihero team-up that spent more time on its soundtrack than the screenplay. There’s always ‘Wonder Woman,’ right?

3. ‘Ice Age: Collision Course’

It might be unfair to put a kids’ movie on here, but it’s not as if they can go to the movies by themselves. We still had to sit through this forced, painfully unfunny sequel. In an incredibly impressive year for animation, ‘Ice Age’ No. 5 traded story for slapstick and humor for horrible puns.

2. ‘Collateral Beauty’

Will Smith's worst career decision in 2016 was saying "Yes" to this uniquely bizarre attempt at a heart-tugging drama. In a year when "gaslighting" was the word on everyone's lips, ‘Collateral Beauty’ offers not just one but two improbable plot twists that will leave you doubting your own sanity.

1. ‘The Sea of Trees’

Back in 2015, Cannes audiences greeted Gus Van Sant's treacly, culturally tone-deaf film with boos. They'd gotten a sneak peek at what everyone would eventually learn when it briefly hit theaters this year — that this fake-profound tale of a suicidal American (Matthew McConaughy) who travels to Japan's Aokigahara forest would have been better off staying lost in the woods.

The only one I've seen from that list is Suicide Squad.

Independence Day was disgusting but I did like Suicide Squad. I haven't seen the rest yet.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

Banned

I haven't heard of any of them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Peace CT

2016 was an extremely crappy year for movies. Peace

Just saw Suicide Squad. Worst film I've seen in a long time, like years.

Will Smith and obviously Margot Robbie were good but it reminded me of the old Batman films like the one with George Clooney. Story, characters, dialogue were all weak AF.

i absolutely disagree about independence Day.

if you understand the science of type 3 civilizations and their dangers then that movie nailed it without taking itself too seriously

personally enjoyed it

You don't have 2 understand shit, the movie was bad, period.

Like I said

I PERSONALLY enjoyed it

Banned

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
    Like I said

I PERSONALLY enjoyed it
    yup, everyone made so far has been great

Independence Day 2 was okay. Jeff Goldblum and his dad were the main parts that made the movie entertaining. It managed to be even more stupid than the first.

Emmerich wanted to make ID3 but the critical and commercial failure of ID2 has pretty much killed that idea.

Honestly, this list is crap. Not saying these are great movies (and I've personally only watched a couple of them), but it's obvious that whoever made this didn't see a lot of movies that came out this year (I assumed you copy/pasted this from somewhere, check?).

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones
    I didn't like it because of the beats.