Thread: Any of you He-Shrimp fuck with Malcolm Gladwell

Default Any of you He-Shrimp fuck with Malcolm Gladwell

Just finished the audiobook for Outliers. His perspectives are dope and effectively shift your thinking if you didn't already think like he does.

If you don't know, Outliers is about how successful people aren't really products of personal effort but of the circumstance of their life, people around them, and what they're exposed to. He broke it down mathematically and pointed out that start athlete typically have a birthday in the first quarter of the year and why. Tech moguls are typically in their early fifties and why etc etc.

I did an experiment based on his conclusions and looked at the most successful people in hip hop. Turns out that of the top five, i think three or four were forty-seven or forty-eight years old. Then I check out why and saw that they would have been ten years old at the height of the crack epidemic, which was the primary source of early funding and support in hip hop. Meaning they would have been teenagers in the late eighties and there would have been established dealers around them. That means hip hop would have been a more open playing field because it's new enough while funding was easily available. Diddy, Master P, Rza, Jay Z, a shit ton of them are that age and cite that as being how they got the moneyy to do what they did. They would have came in right on time to catch hip hop go global in the 90s, hit peak record sales in the early 00s, then fizzle out moneywise now where they already have the lead.

Shit is a trip, check out the book

shut your short Nigerian fuck boy ass up

nah I'm playing - break it down some more I like this kind of shit frfr
    Last edited by V4D3R; 04-24-2017 at 09:48 PM.
    Break fast is served

thnks
    Break fast is served

its fact that at my most successful moments I was around the plugs and got hooked up
    Break fast is served

Quote Originally Posted by V4D3R View Post
    shut your short Nigerian fuck boy ass up

nah I'm playing - break it down some more I like this kind of shit frfr
    It's solid. Thought it deserved it's own thread cause the American mentality towards success is personal will and effort. He's saying the opposite, and factoring in stats that show otherwise. So when we 'take advice' from billionaires and successful people, they apply the rugged individualism mentality and tell the story based on what they did to get there. It would be weird for them to factor in their birthday and stuff like that but those are, he argues, determining factors.

I think it's 50/50. It's effort and focus and then chance. The chances happen over and over throughout your life but if you haven't done the work and or have the focus it'll pass you. I doubt he'd disagree because he's not really saying it's completely out of your hands. More so the fact that if we want to produce more successful people in society we have to start looking at the structure.

I kind of don't get into audio books as well as I would seeing the words but I did listen to this for a couple of hours pertaining to hockey athletes age birth months and soccer players too. It kind of of lost me when I myself looked up ages of plyers I feel are great players, and it wasent matching his theory but then again there is always the exception but truth be told luck and making circumstances work in your favor go hand in hand. Most good positions I have been in to be successful have be thorugh an effort excuded to produce for said position as well as "knowing the right person" and having that connection can make a huge difference.

I agree with you on the 50/50 luck/effort 100%
    Break fast is served