Thread: Jay Z becomes first rapper to be inducted into Songwriters Hall of Fame

Default Jay Z becomes first rapper to be inducted into Songwriters Hall of Fame

http://www.nme.com/news/music/jay-z-...ducted-2089251

anybody catch this bullshit? lol @ this biter being the first rapper being recognized for song writing

Lol @ you being bitter.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

bitter is a little extreme but I have an opinion on it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LyRiCaL sHiNoBi Father N Dangerous's Avatar

Jay z is trash n he is a bitter

Bit big l

Not to mention countless others everybody thinks hes so good. Naw brah
    My skills punish, you untill ya grills rubbish, make ya cry like peeled onions More electrifying. Then a eels touch is, got a girl thats real luscious Eat these rappers for real like sealed lunches More bad ass than a navy seals gun is
    More fly then everybody that wields luggage
    Im the beer clutchin career crushin fear nothin fierce one with...sheers cuttin blood spills gushin no need to worry bout the wounds cuz u wont heal from it

At the expense of sounding snobby, I don't think anybody should be recognised as an exceptional song writer for lyrics alone. Song writing is first and foremost about writing a memorable piece of music. Lyrics are secondary, especially when you're just rapping them and not even constructing a vocal melody.

Snobby but true.

Its true that thats your opinion.

I think we can all agree that Jay-Z writes songs for a living, and does it pretty well by any standard. Rhythm is a musical element of music, theres no need to put these strict definitions on things like art.

I do agree with that 100%. I'd just like to see hip hop represented better, rather than have someone who has mostly braggadocious raps (money cash hoes) be the songwriting standard for hip hop, I could think of many more deserving. Obviously that's not 100% of his catalog, but mostly.

Yeah he wouldn't be my first choice either (although he has written some great songs).

I would probably say his main influences, Nas and BIG are more deserving, or even further back to G Rap. Jay-Z does a great version of what they do, but theres no denying that they came first.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Its true that thats your opinion.

I think we can all agree that Jay-Z writes songs for a living, and does it pretty well by any standard. Rhythm is a musical element of music, theres no need to put these strict definitions on things like art.
    I wouldn't b about putting definitions on anything. Song writing is an important element of hip hop. A lot of rappers have no knack for it at all. Actually the vast majority. Others thrive on it. As far as any hall of fame shit or whatever this thread was about, I don't agree with giving any rapper such status.

But if I did it'd b Icecube without a moment's hesitation, lolz. No brainer for me. For his shit up to and including death certificate. I haven't heard much jay z, but from what I have heard choosing him for such an 'honour' shows just how fucking ridiculous these nonsense 'elite clubs' actually are.

Cube would be one of dozens I think are more talented song writing wise too.
    not a huge deal to me anyways, this is the same reason I haven't watched any award show of any kind in a decade. They're mostly just popularity contests

Yeah I don't think cube is the 'best' songwriter in hip hop. But just for relevance, impact, time and place, influence and blah blah blah...I'd easily give him that award within the genre of hip hop.