Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mobb Deep VS GangStarr

Quote Originally Posted by derek41 View Post
    I’d give this to gangstarr all day week and year. The only mob deep albums I like were infamous and hell on earth. Hell on earth was crazy dope, but the rest of their catalogue is pretty weak compared to gangstarr. Not a bad album in the gangstarr catalogue. Hard to earn daily operation moment of truth are all classics. Guru had the dopest voice even if he wasn’t the greatest lyricist but his subject matter was so much deeper than any of the pseudo gangster shit hav and prod were on. Mobb deep has 2 dope albums though and hav’s production was next level on hell on earth. But he ain’t fuckin with preemo
    guru couldn't consistently flow on beat (which these days, i'm not all that concerned about). always liked his lyrics though.

Shaolin Student

Preem and Hav should do a project together called Mobb Starr or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JaSchu View Post
    Preem and Hav should do a project together called Mobb Starr or something.
    ahahah

GOOD CALL

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

That would actually be dope.

Quote Originally Posted by rat fakerman View Post
    in fact, mop vs mobb deep is a much better comparison. i think i'd still have to go with md, but it's close.

That would be a better comparison, as both acts are in similar lanes sonically and topic wise.

However, I'd take Mobb Deep in this face off as well.

The Foundation and Sparta were very underwhelming M.O.P. albums IMO.

Street Certified was dope AF though.
    Last edited by Squidgy McGubbins; 12-02-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Thanks for your hate hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Foundation is garbage, but Sparta is dope. Only problem is it being 35 minutes long. They said SnowGoons sent them over 100 beats, they could have made it much longer. I only disliked two tracks. What is Street Certified? I have never heard of that one.

^ Street Certified is an EP with about 5-7 songs if i remember right.. it was released on CD and possibly wax back in early 2015. it had some moments and some not so hot moments, but the lead single "187" was classic M.O.P.

i don't know how you're going to say "Foundation" was garbage though.. that was a solid MOP album although hardly up to the standards of their earlier work. the lone Premier track is a 5/5 joint for real.

both MOP and Mobb Deep are (or were in the latter case) great live performers.. i once saw both at the same stage performing "Shook Ones" together and it was heavy as fuck.

for Gang Starr and Mobb i think they are very different groups with a different sound.. both are amongst my favorites and GURU's death hit me harder than the death of any other emcee because his voice had helped guide me through both bad and good times.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

I will have to throw Foundation on again, perhaps this week. I remember being totally unimpressed with it, even the Premier track if I call correctly. I only listened to it about twice.

this is completely random, but I'm going to post it anyways.

what a good ass year

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai_Turkey View Post
    That would be a better comparison, as both acts are in similar lanes sonically and topic wise.

However, I'd take Mobb Deep in this face off as well.

The Foundation and Sparta were very underwhelming M.O.P. albums IMO.

Street Certified was dope AF though.
    pretty much agree, but sparta had a few pretty hard tracks.

^Yup. Blasphemy was my shit.

I must have banged that track like 500 times, seriously.

Other than that, most of Sparta was forgettable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Thanks for your hate hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai_Turkey View Post
    ^Yup. Blasphemy was my shit.

I must have banged that track like 500 times, seriously.

Other than that, most of Sparta was forgettable IMO.
    Snowgoons just ain't M.O.P producers.. they couldn't capture what makes M.O.P great. Those beats would of been decent for most rappers. Lyrically Sparta is great, The production is the turn off for me on that LP.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    this is completely random, but I'm going to post it anyways.

what a good ass year

Lolz I own this magazine. I think it was actually the first hip hop magazine I ever bought.

As to MOP vs Mobb Deep ...

Would yall say Mobb Deep albums have more replay value? That's just me though, the whole shouting thing can be a slight turn off for me if I'm not in an energetic mood (same goes for Onyx, but to a lesser degree). I can pretty much throw on a Mobb album no matter what mood I'm in.

I'm probably just turning into an old fart.

Btw one of my dream albums was always a Mobb Deep x M.O.P. x CNN collabo album.
    Retired.

i see where you're coming from - that's probably why it's a bit hard to compare them directly (although i don't find myself ever not in the mood to listen to MOP really). i feel mop get underrated lyrically a bit (especially danze) - they were capable of making more thoughtful and introspective stuff.

not necessarily in relation to mop vs md, but i always think that lyrics in hip hop are usually rated in accordance with the style they're delivered in. eg. rappers like common who deliver everything in an easily digestible, coherent form will usually be rated more highly than someone like DMX. "conscious" or political subject matter also still receives disproportionate praise - j. cole and kendrick come to mind.