Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishscale is held in super high esteem by more casual wu-fans/hip hop heads

Yeah I think the pretty Toney era scrapped tracks were the best. From memory a few of those ones ended up on 718.

I guess it's no coincidence that while still being quite lackluster, pretty Toney is my fave of the post sc Ghost albums.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Noel is a non believer when it comes to the god Tony Starks.
    I really am. The whole thing of him being one of the all thyme greats is just baffling to me. Really don't know where that came from. Most other people who get mentioned in those lists I might not agree with but I still get it. With Ghost I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by hotnikks View Post
    Ironman>>SC>>>Fischscale thats how dope this album is...
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Yeah its a classic just under Ironman and SC. It feels like a sequel to SC in a lot of ways. Although theres a few tracks that are not great.

Noel is a non believer when it comes to the god Tony Starks.

yeah i dont do custom albums anymore. My first mistake was back in the day I took soul controller off Ironman cause it sounded like a pointless outro track in the beginning, and Marvel because I didn't think it matched the album. Very dumb of me, Soul Controller is one of my favorite ghost tracks of all time now and Marvel has to be on there. I slept on Fishscale originally but liked More Fish. It seemed more 'too the point' and has great tracks. I think it's only flaw is it's shitty name.

Ghost is Back, Gunz N Razors, Street Opera, Josephine, Blue Armor, Outta Town Shit, Grew up Hard, Alex, You Know I'm No Good

Alex alone is proof that ghost is a genius, and Street Opera is one of my favorites from his catalog. Someone once told me Fishscale was supposed to be a double disc with More Fish being tracks def jam took off. That made me respect both projects more but someone on here also said that wasn't true so idk
    Last edited by TSA; 12-11-2017 at 09:55 AM.

I rock a playlist called ‘More FishScale’ of the best tracks tracks from FishScale and More Fish, plus you can’t forget about Charlie Brown which was on the original album sampler, and Murder Goons which was also done around the same time.

Bangin playlist, in regular rotation.

Peace!

^ yeah I need to do that too, I'm sure the best of both would make a classic album or at least 4.5/5. I love a lot of tracks on Fish Scale but never really put the album on because of the skits and filler

Quote Originally Posted by ForensikZ View Post
    its a good album but def got overrated by the backpacker/casuals because of it being a mainstream album with loads of doom n jdilla.

you really cant go wrong with the album being 80% done by jdilla, doom n pete rock

with that said, if the original versions of BPW and pretty tony were released, itd be the worst (tho still great) of his first 5 albums.

they shoulda just made one major album combining fischscale and more fish but they werre lazy. more fish got like 5-6 great tracks and the rest mediocre.

wizard of poetry is ghosts most udnerrated album. i wouldnt call it anything less than a 3.5/4 mic album and its just as good as fishscale for sure

718 was basically all the tracks cut from ghosts pretty tony album. in fact pretty tony ghosts unreleased material is prolly some of his best material like tonys money, my guitar, gorilla hood, etc

imo:

SC (5/5) > Ironman (4.75/5) >> original BPW (4.5/5)> Original PTA (4.25/5> Fischscale (4/5) > wizard of ppetry (3.75) > big doe rehab, 12 reasons (3.5) >>> apollo kids (3) >> morefish (2.5/5)

i need to give sour soul and 36 seasons another listen
    Thorough and insightful analysis.
    Retired.

i agree with forensikz opinion on wizard of poetry too. if you can get over the subject matter and/or are into r&b type raps, that album is sonically kinda amazing

GFK has notoriously been plagued with shitty or no promotion and whoever is in charge of arranging his tracklists

^Yeah, WOP is a great album. You just have to be able to take in the content which most wu fans aren't, at least not from Ghost. The production is top notch, and songs are excellent. I don't get why Ghost is cursed with bad label situations and major fuck ups with his albums. Dude doesn't get paid for ironman and supreme clientele because nobody cleared the samples. unbelievable.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    It's been astronomically overrated from day one. One of the most forgettable albums I've ever heard.
    nah it was a good album i wouldn't call fishscale a classic but its one of ghost's top 5 albums ( to me)

1)supreme clientele
    2)ironman
    3)Big Doe Rehab
    4)Pretty Toney
    5)Fishscale & BP (tied)

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    I rock a playlist called ‘More FishScale’ of the best tracks tracks from FishScale and More Fish, plus you can’t forget about Charlie Brown which was on the original album sampler, and Murder Goons which was also done around the same time.

Bangin playlist, in regular rotation.

Peace!
    I editted my "More Fish" took out the weak tracks and flowed better

more repetitive gfk threads, super

PRODIGAL SUN

ironman is a 5, ft

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I really am. The whole thing of him being one of the all thyme greats is just baffling to me. Really don't know where that came from. Most other people who get mentioned in those lists I might not agree with but I still get it. With Ghost I just don't get it.
    He has Cuban Linx, Ironman, and Supreme Clientele under his belt, which already puts him above most of the ppl on the list as far as output. People cite his consistency, originality, storytelling and the amount of influence he's had in hip hop. On any criteria except sales, he bests almost everyone on the list.