Thread: Wu Tang Forever censored by SOURCE

PRODIGAL SUN

Default Wu Tang Forever censored by SOURCE

Someone show me the mics Source awarded Wu Tang Forever? Biggie got 5 mic sympathy, Wu Tang got blacked out. This is before ODB Grammy crash.

Source never critiqued Wu Tang Forever with their traditional 5 mic measure. Not in their magazine. Biggie died, no Wu Tang mic measure.

Fascinating!

SHAOLIN STUDENT

True ! I remember back then I wanted to know how many mics the double cd got from the source. It's a shame ! Boddy Digital got 3.5 mics if I remember correctly.

PRODIGAL SUN

Always wondered this. They didnt do tical 2000 either.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I have always wondered how they managed to neglect reviewing certain albums. I know there were a ton of albums to review back then, but I would think they would make it a priority to review to review anything Wu Tang related at the time given their popularity. If they ever decided to do another retrospective issue where they bestow five mics upon albums that they previously did not give five mics to or not review at all, I would want them to seriously consider Gravediggaz The Pick, The Sickle And The Shovel. I seriously think that is five mic material.

nada ignorante

The source was never good at reviewing albums back then
    N.I.

Shaolin Student

The Source was in a tough spot. Labels knew that getting a positive review could do wonders for an album, so what does The Source do if they are going to give a high profile artist a 2.5 mics? Do they run the review, or scrap it? I remember seeing a group of Def Jam albums getting reviewed, but not getting a mic count. The idea was that the reader got to pick their own number of mics. What was that about? I’m sure there was a ton of politics involved, on all sides. Once bootlegging became commonplace that was probably another concern.

Quote Originally Posted by ta12113 View Post
    The Source was in a tough spot. Labels knew that getting a positive review could do wonders for an album, so what does The Source do if they are going to give a high profile artist a 2.5 mics? Do they run the review, or scrap it? I remember seeing a group of Def Jam albums getting reviewed, but not getting a mic count. The idea was that the reader got to pick their own number of mics. What was that about? I’m sure there was a ton of politics involved, on all sides. Once bootlegging became
    commonplace that was probably another concern.
    spot on.. this was always my feeling as well, that they didn't think too highly of WTF and therefore never reviewed it. it's interesting - like Akala said, in Europe and the UK "Wu-Tang Forever" was THE fucking Wu-Tang Clan album for the ages. that was the disc everybody had, banged and loved!

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

How is not being reviewed by a mag censoring?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by 8 View Post
    How is not being reviewed by a mag censoring?
    An album only exists if it was reviewed in the source

PRODIGAL SUN

Fuck reviews. They disrespected mad albums im seeing in that wu article thread by ta.

Rolling stone rated 8d n ironflag over wtf n the w. Infact 8d is the highest rated wu album by them.

Source gave 4 mics to rza n took away points cuz the album tells the story of the “ birth of a prince” n they wanted the social songs to be next to the party ones lol.

Shaolin Student

For the record, here’s how the reviews from the articles that I uploaded breakdown, so far.

Rolling Stone
    Wu-Tang Clan – Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) – 3.5
    Wu-Tang Clan – Wu-Tang Forever – 3.5
    Wu-Tang Clan – The W – 4
    Wu-Tang Clan – Iron Flag – 3.5
    Wu-Tang Clan – 8 Diagrams – 3.5
    Wu-Tang Clan – A Better Tomorrow – 2.5

The Source
    Raekwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx – 4.5
    Cappadonna – The Pillage – 3.5
    Sunz Of Man – The Last Shall Be First – 3.5
    Rza – In Stereo – 3.5
    Wu-Tang Clan – The W – 3.5
    Rza – Digital Bullet – 3.5
    Rza – Birth Of A Prince – 4
    Raekwon – The Lex Diamond Story – 3.5
    Raekwon – Presents Ice Water – 3

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Rolling Stone is staffed by idiots or hipsters based on their reviews. I cannot take those reviews seriously

The Rolling Stone ratings are preposterous

hiphop journalism is meh, The Source was no exception. Sure I have fOnd memories of The Source, but more out of love for the subjects and acts they covered, not HOW they covered them. Back when everyone in the community was holding their breath to see how many mics an album was gonna get, the mag was slipping up too on some of its reviews. People give XXL a lot of shit, most of their reviews play it safe with a moderately positive review, but tbh I don't see how The Source was that much better. They were just the FIRST well known hiphop mag around, and built their reputation on that.
    Retired.