Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The killing of a sacred deer

Default The killing of a sacred deer

Starring Collin Farrell and Nicole Kidman

From the director of The Lobster

This movie is ALL KINDS OF FUCKED UP.I just saw it. It's a mystery thriller with a lot of black humor and a twinge of -Sophie's Choice'.

Go watch this shit. It might make you uncomfortable but it's an engaging one.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-20-2017 at 01:45 AM.
    Retired.

Sacred Deer?

Whats your rating out of 10 Lee? I've heard about this film but I don't think Colin Farrell is a great actor so I'm not in a hurry to check it.

I consider 'The Lobster' a 9, so I'd give 'The Killing of a Sacred Deer' a 7.5 or an 8.

Farrell was asked to act REALLY subdued in 'The Lobster' and it worked out well. In this new movie he is holding back as well. Due to the plot his acting comes across as a man who is overwhelmed by the circumstances and tries to keep a facade up by never acting out. I thought it worked well.

Farrell was awful in most of the big budget movies he was in, I totally agree with you.

The first time I appreciated his acting was in 'In Bruges', which was the first movie he made after he had gone through rehab. (He went into rehab after wrapping up 'Miami Vice'.)
    Retired.

I didn't see The Lobster either. It was another one where the concept was interesting but 'starring Colin Farell' turned me off.

I hope you're right that he improved, I just remember Phone Booth and that shit with Al Pacino, although he still did relatively better than hack era Pacino. I just remember he did a lot of unconvincing eyebrow acting back in the day.

The Pacino flick was by the numbers stuff

DeNiro and Pacino fell the fuck off.
    Retired.

They just stopped caring I think, although its probably not easy to get great roles as old men.

Scorsese has a movie coming out next year 'The Irishman' which is probably going to be his final gangster flick starring Pacino, DeNiro, Pesci, Keitel etc. Scorsese is dependably brilliant so that will probably be their best movie in 20 years.

yeah heard alot of good things about this movie, ill def make time for it this weekend

Just watched 'The Lobster' off your recommendation Lee. Its an interesting movie, I think I need to watch it again to get everything in it. Its dark as fuck but its fascinating. Lanthimos is definitely a director I'll check for in the future, so I'll check out Sacred Deer next.

Colin Farrell did a good job too, he was very naturalistic. Like you said, he definitely benefits from the switch to subdued art house roles.

Glad you liked it.

@ gravey : Sacred Deer's been performing well at local theaters, quite a few friends and colleagues went to see it already

This director has earlier films (two I know of) in Greek out too, I still need to check them if I can find subtitles. One of them is called 'Alps'. Supposedly they are dark movies too.

@ Sha : I liked the open ending of 'The Lobster'. (I don't wanna give away the ending too people reading along so I won't elaborate.) I'm fond of both open endings and moral dilemmas in movies so 'The Lobster' was right up my alley.

If I'm not mistaken 'The Lobster' was based on an original script (not a book adaptation), which makes it even more impressive.
    Retired.

This is some david Lynch meets Stanley Kubrick type shit, this shit is disturbing, i loved it

I just read thru this thread and it sounds like these r my kinds of movies. Hopefully I'll remember to look for dl's some thyme, lolz.

Also I actually loved phonebooth, lolz.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I just read thru this thread and it sounds like these r my kinds of movies. Hopefully I'll remember to look for dl's some thyme, lolz.
    Remembered! Dl'ing now.

Lolz the lobster was fuckan rad. Thoroughly enjoyed.

pretty, pretty good - everything Yorgos Lanthimos does is interesting - definitely check out Dogtooth if you all haven't, his best i'd say.