Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: NickyGooch & Sons Landscaping & Dry-Cured Italian Meat tips

The ABBOTT

I got a spot between my garage and my neighbors fence, about two feet in width. All that grows there is weeds. I spray there constantly but they keep coming back. Any advice on how to complete eradicate the weeds. Are some other form of landscaping i could do there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    I got a spot between my garage and my neighbors fence, about two feet in width. All that grows there is weeds. I spray there constantly but they keep coming back. Any advice on how to complete eradicate the weeds. Are some other form of landscaping i could do there.
    You can put a weed barrier down and some stone over top but you will still have to spray, just not as often.

Nothing going to eradicate weeds, they’ll fine there way into any spot if they go untreated.

I’d do the stone route. It’ll keep weeds down better than mulch.

The ABBOTT

Quote Originally Posted by Dooch View Post
    You can put a weed barrier down and some stone over top but you will still have to spray, just not as often.

Nothing going to eradicate weeds, they’ll fine there way into any spot if they go untreated.

I’d do the stone route. It’ll keep weeds down better than mulch.
    Thanks. I had considered that. It just going to take a lot of stone to get it filled in. I am guessing around 50/60 sq feet.

Banned

Thanks. I had considered that. It just going to take a lot of stone to get it filled in. I am guessing around 50/60 sq feet.
    Go to a landscape supply company and have them deliver you like a half ton.

The ABBOTT

Good call. I was thinking how many trips is going to take using a half ton pickup and how much weight can it handle. Delivery is way better option.

Banned

Good call. I was thinking how many trips is going to take using a half ton pickup and how much weight can it handle. Delivery is way better option.
    I think a ton of stone, depending what you get covers about 100 square feet. It’s not that bad, it’s basically a cubic yard loader bucket Worth of stone. You’ll bang that job out in a couple hours.
    Last edited by Dooch; 09-13-2020 at 09:59 PM.

Banned

You got to spend a little bit of money for some good weed killer.

roundup 365 kills weeds and stops them from growing for a year. Regular roundup just kills what you got and they start growing back in a couple days. A gallon is about $40

bioadvanced durazone kills weeds and stops them for 6 months. That’s a little cheaper. $25. If you live in an area that has winter, you don’t need more than 6 months. If you live in Florida, you might want to go with the 365.

For a few dollars more, you can buy the concentrates of thes products which make 4-5 gallons and you can mix it yourself and put it in a cheap $10 sprayer.

the one problem with these products is that if you wanted to plant something in that area; nothing at all will grow in that area.

Is it safe to use round up if you have kids or animals? Just a neutral question, I'm asking for myself too. I'm looking into spraying part of the yard (I have cut down the proverbial jungle by now), my dog spends a lot of time in the yard.

thanks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Is it safe to use round up if you have kids or animals? Just a neutral question, I'm asking for myself too. I'm looking into spraying part of the yard (I have cut down the proverbial jungle by now), my dog spends a lot of time in the yard.

thanks
    Yea just don’t let them play on it for a week.

This month I've had trouble getting the push mower started. First, it seemed to not be getting enough fuel. It would start up, run for a few seconds and die. So I rebuilt the carburetor. Turns out that wasn't the problem. After the fuel was passing through the carb, it was going into what looks like a grey pvc fuel line which was cracked. I had to use some gasoline resistant epoxy for repairing fuel tanks to cement the pipe and seal the crack. For about $6 and some patience I was up and running again.

That got me running for about two more mows. Then I couldn't get the damn thing started at all. Turns out it was a rusted to hell spark plug. Replaced it with a $2.50 autolite new one and I can start it with lazy half pulls. We're in business!

I present to you my 6.5HP reliable Troy Built engine and self propelled push mower. Though it doesn't self propel much for shit.

I only use premium unleaded in it. I might be the only guy left in the neighborhood who still mows his own lawn. And with a push mower, not sitting on a tractor with a beer.

Now I got a new toy that you lawncare professionals can appreciate or else give me shit about.

I present to you the Honda HHT35S gas powed Trimmer with a 4 stroke engine:

What I like about it? It can take regular gas. I put in premium. No mixing with oil. It has a separate oil reservoir that takes 10w30. It has a choke and prime bulb and is really easy to start. It has a long pole for reaching far and keeping the trimmings away. It retails for $400 but I got it for $150 at a pawn shop.

What I don't like about it? It's the heaviest trimmer I've ever used. Heavier than my old husqvarna. Heavy enough to give my trapezius muscles a major workout and to cause upper back pain. Also, it vibrates enough to make my hands numb. Not as bad as my husqvarna 266SE chainsaw though.

Also, the Honda Trimmer seems to like to drink the gasoline. It has a 35cc engine, but honestly I was expecting more power than it gives me. It handles my yard work but I don't see how people are using it to cut down roadside brush in some of the youtube videos. Perhaps I need to try to tune it better. Also, the yellow switch you see by the handle is kind of cheap plastic feeling. For a $400 MSRP trimmer it should be more durable. Also, it's not a Stihl. But I'm not going to find a running Stihl trimmer in a pawn shop for $150 or less.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sense-A View Post
    This month I've had trouble getting the push mower started. First, it seemed to not be getting enough fuel. It would start up, run for a few seconds and die. So I rebuilt the carburetor. Turns out that wasn't the problem. After the fuel was passing through the carb, it was going into what looks like a grey pvc fuel line which was cracked. I had to use some gasoline resistant epoxy for repairing fuel tanks to cement the pipe and seal the crack. For about $6 and some patience I was up and running again.

That got me running for about two more mows. Then I couldn't get the damn thing started at all. Turns out it was a rusted to hell spark plug. Replaced it with a $2.50 autolite new one and I can start it with lazy half pulls. We're in business!

I present to you my 6.5HP reliable Troy Built engine and self propelled push mower. Though it doesn't self propel much for shit.

I only use premium unleaded in it. I might be the only guy left in the neighborhood who still mows his own lawn. And with a push mower, not sitting on a tractor with a beer.

Now I got a new toy that you lawncare professionals can appreciate or else give me shit about.

I present to you the Honda HHT35S gas powed Trimmer with a 4 stroke engine:

What I like about it? It can take regular gas. I put in premium. No mixing with oil. It has a separate oil reservoir that takes 10w30. It has a choke and prime bulb and is really easy to start. It has a long pole for reaching far and keeping the trimmings away. It retails for $400 but I got it for $150 at a pawn shop.

What I don't like about it? It's the heaviest trimmer I've ever used. Heavier than my old husqvarna. Heavy enough to give my trapezius muscles a major workout and to cause upper back pain. Also, it vibrates enough to make my hands numb. Not as bad as my husqvarna 266SE chainsaw though.

Also, the Honda Trimmer seems to like to drink the gasoline. It has a 35cc engine, but honestly I was expecting more power than it gives me. It handles my yard work but I don't see how people are using it to cut down roadside brush in some of the youtube videos. Perhaps I need to try to tune it better. Also, the yellow switch you see by the handle is kind of cheap plastic feeling. For a $400 MSRP trimmer it should be more durable. Also, it's not a Stihl. But I'm not going to find a running Stihl trimmer in a pawn shop for $150 or less.
    Lol the first thing I would have told you to do is check the spark plug.

I think the new line of shindaiwa weedwhackers are excellent. Ton of torque, durable and not overly heavy. You can get them for around 250-300.

Also what kind of string are you using?

If your cutting down brush get the heavy duty black diamond shit. The orange crossfire line should be enough though.

The ABBOTT

How about advice on getting trees to grow. I planted a couple of spruce tree a few years back that should proably be farther along by now. I tried fertilizer spikes , are there any other better options?

Banned

How about advice on getting trees to grow. I planted a couple of spruce tree a few years back that should proably be farther along by now. I tried fertilizer spikes , are there any other better options?
    I got a pretty big Colorado spruce in my backyard, beautiful tree and no mess.

What kind do you have?

The ABBOTT

Colorado blue diamond spruce

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Artsdradamus View Post

For a few dollars more, you can buy the concentrates of thes products which make 4-5 gallons and you can mix it yourself and put it in a cheap $10 sprayer.

the one problem with these products is that if you wanted to plant something in that area; nothing at all will grow in that area.
    I purchased this once a year and it works. I mainly spray it on concrete cracks and around my house.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty