Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has the best hip-hop catalog?

Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    I still loved the last couple Prodigy albums even if he doesn't rap like he used to, especially Albert Einstein I still play regularly. I can put about 10 different Mobb group/ solo albums on shuffle and not need to skip many tracks. There's extremely few artists I can do that with, DOOM would be another one.
    hm, i take your point (because they did release a lot of good stuff), but do you ever listen to Amerikaz Nightmare or Blood Money? I didn't even hate AN, but i haven't listened to it in year and years. those albums were so far off the quality of every MD album prior.

i don't mind the older prodigy stuff either, but it's a long way off HNIC (p was starting to slip even then) and i think his solo career was pretty lacklustre.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
    Anyone else think biggie is highly over-rated and ready to die ain't that great? 2pac shit too
    respectfully disagreeing on biggie.

it's the rhythm, the word play, the story telling

obviously it's gangsta themes and rags to riches only, some songs for the ladies too. topic wise he was limited

2pac recorded way too many songs
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    hm, i take your point (because they did release a lot of good stuff), but do you ever listen to Amerikaz Nightmare or Blood Money? I didn't even hate AN, but i haven't listened to it in year and years. those albums were so far off the quality of every MD album prior.

i don't mind the older prodigy stuff either, but it's a long way off HNIC (p was starting to slip even then) and i think his solo career was pretty lacklustre.
    Amerikaz Nightmare and Blood Money : agreed. Same for some tracks on Infamy. all the other albums are good to excellent.

still, I'd stick with Mobb Deep personally. it's the overall vibe / atmosphere of the releases. for that matter even Amerikaz Nightmare minus the Lil Jon song (which I don't hate but it doesn't 'sound' like Mobb Deep for lack of a better word) and all of Infamy fit the mould. Blood Money just sounds like a G Unit group album featuring Mobb Deep so that one doesn't sound like a Mobb Deep album to me. 50 should have just let them release an album with maybe 3 guest features from the camp tops.

on solo output : Havoc gradually got better and the beats on his albums were consistently good. his last three releases in particular were great in the beat department

Prodigy's HNIC is a classic to me and joins the second, third and fourth Mobb Deep album as the hightlight of the whole discography. Prodigy's rhyming got weaker on HNIC 2 and beyond but I didn't mind since I liked the subject matter (the conspiracy theory stuff, before it got boring as it was recycled from album to album) AND I LOVED THE BEATS ON THE HNIC2 ALBUM. Same goes for Product of the 80s. Loved the Albert Einstein joint too.

Prodigy went out on a high note with his final album. It's just so different from the rest of his catalog when you look at the themes (ponderous stuff), the minimalist delivery of the rhymes (he sounds so chilled and humble, trying to convey wisdom and sympathy in an unassuming manner) and the 'soft' beats. I could play The Hegelian Dialectic all day

Did Mobb Deep fall off? Yes, temporarily. Admittedly Prodigy was in a slump for a while.

Imo he redeemed himself.

I also wanna shout out Big Noyd's 'Only The Strong'. good ass album!

Taking all this into account I'll stick with Mobb Deep as my pick. I should mention that out of the whole catalog (solo and group) the albums I play the least are the group debut and Blood Money. otherwise, including mixtapes and EPs, the discography gets maaajor play. If even a non sanctioned album like The Safe Is Cracked has so many quality tracks ... that should tell you the Mobb really had a good thing going.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 05-23-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    Retired.

^ cosign all that

Mobb has a couple albums worth of unreleased tracks that are crack too, I think over 3 hours worth on youtube

Blood Money has some really good tracks! ( I do really love some of them )

HNIC2 is a personal favorite to me.

nada ignorante

Mobb Deep will always be one of my all time favs too

check the signature homie!
    N.I.

After Wu, Mobb Deep probably have the most expansive and listenable discography. Even when they supposedly fell off they didn't do anything that bad. Prodigy said he stopped giving a shit circa 'Infamy' and that later they sold out to 50, as he was throwing money at them and showering them with gifts.

I've always enjoyed P's shit, he changed to a slow flow over the years but I don't think his pen game dropped, and its better for the context of the laidback Alchemist era of Mobb Deep. Would have been nice to get a full MD/Alc LP, although we got solos.

Btw a few months ago Havoc said theres a posthumous MD LP in the works.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post

I agree with this. In fact, P started to slip around the Murda Muzik time. He was still dope but you could tell he wasn't at the Infamous or Hell On Earth level. P improved after he came outta prison in 2011. He sounded more focused compared to how he was before he did the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I've always enjoyed P's shit, he changed to a slow flow over the years but I don't think his pen game dropped, and its better for the context of the laidback Alchemist era of Mobb Deep.
    agreed!

I enjoy every era of Prodigy\Mobb Deep.

MOBB DEEP FOREVER!

I love mobb deep, like infamous n hell on Earth r as good as it gets, n murda music was great too n has some of their best shit on it, but no word of a lie, I've honestly never even tuned my ears to which one is prodigy n which is havoc, lolz. No joke. I couldn't tell u who's who in any of their tracks, lolz. To me they're both just really indistinct, n tho nice as hell on the mic, just not outstanding in any way. Just really good at doing the sort of shit they did/do.

And when either of em guest on other people's shit I'll know the moment I hear them that it's one of 'em, but not which one, lolz. So I guess they r kinda distinct. Just not from one another, lolz.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I love mobb deep, like infamous n hell on Earth r as good as it gets, n murda music was great too n has some of their best shit on it, but no word of a lie, I've honestly never even tuned my ears to which one is prodigy n which is havoc, lolz. No joke. I couldn't tell u who's who in any of their tracks, lolz. To me they're both just really indistinct, n tho nice as hell on the mic, just not outstanding in any way. Just really good at doing the sort of shit they did/do.
    When I first bought Infamous and Hell On Earth I had the same problem. They had no solo albums out yet.
    Retired.

@ Sha : great news about the upcoming MD album. Thanks!
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Thats surprising, I don't think they sound alike. P has a deep, dark voice (excluding Juvenile Hell) while Hav has a slight lisp and is more nasal. And I think Prodigy had more memorable verses.

I often had trouble with Clipse back in the day, they're brothers and their voices are very close in sound. The best way to tell them apart is their lyrical styles, Pusha is more braggadocios and Malice is more concerned with morality and consequences.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

It is fifteen years later and I still cannot tell Pusha T and Malice apart on a track if there is no video of it. When they first came out, I thought that they were twins, but they are just two brothers who look and sound very much alike.
    Last edited by David Daniel Davis; 05-25-2018 at 10:18 AM.