Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Wutang Forever have filler?

Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    tbh i can still remember the first time i ever listed to Wu-Tang and it was Wu-Tang Forever. I vividly remember not knowing what the hell was going on musically and lyrically but I was intrigued enough to keep listening and understand it lol
    it was literally almost hearing another language

if i dont listen to it for a while and hear it now, i appreciate it even more for the lyrics still being that far ahead of their time
    lol same story. Even with 36 chambers. 36 was more clear but still didn't know wtf was going on. The only thing that broke the ice both times was ODB. Dog shit kept me coming back to Wutang Forever disc 1 and Triumph to disc 2. Shame on a Nigga was my original favorite song on 36 chambers and prior to listening to it the only song I knew was Cream. Even when I started understanding what was going on a little more, the fact that it's verse after verse after verse on every song made it hard to separate one song from another or know which song said what line. (I didn't help that I had no track listing for Forever)

but both times I was intrigued enough to keep coming back. I think this is one of the reasons Rae and Ghost are usually the favorites of longtime wu fans. They're the last that I was able to 'understand' and even at that I'm still deciphering shit and that confusion is a part of what makes the music good. I think almost everyone comes in for Meth and Dirty and end up on Ghost and Rae. Even today the only rap genius page I find worthwhile is Ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    How were you introduced to Wu Tang's music?
    I always 'knew' about them and that they were popular but didnt know any songs
    I was on a road trip to Cedar Pointe (roller coaster park in Ohio) in '98 or '99 and someone I was with had the CD in their huge CD case so I had time to sit back and check it out. Before that Bone Thugs was my favorite group

I always considered Forever and Liquid Swords to be the 2 greatest hip hop albums of all thyme, though sadly when I recently listened to all the Wu classics for the first thyme in years, I wasn't as into Forever as I was some of the others. Though I think it could still hold that status. Just not as into it as I once was. Doesn't make it any less of a masterpiece. I'll have to listen to it again. Actually been listening to a lot of hip hop again, and even working on the monumental job of ripping my gigantic fuck off hip hop cd collection and putting everything on my portable music device.

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

For me Forever has not aged well and the only songs I can listen to are:
    Cash still rules/Scary Hours
    Older Gods
    Maria
    Its yourz
    Dog shit
    Duck seazon
    Heaterz
    Black Shampoo

The rest if I'm in the mood i can listen to once.
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

No "Filler" but I would take two songs off each disc. "As High as Wu-Tang Get" & "Maria" from disc 1. "Black Shampoo" & "Dog Shit" from disc 2. None of these songs are wack just not on par with the rest.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

Yall nuts. No fillers. It's perfect as it is.

Maria is one of my favorite songs of all time from any artist damn. and one of the greatest beats ever made
    Last edited by Mumm Ra; 07-09-2018 at 03:07 PM.

shaolin shadowboxer Frank Drebin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    Maria is one of my favorite songs of all time from any artist damn. wack? and one of the greatest beats ever made
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Allah is my bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodman View Post
    Can’t stand Cilvaringz, by the way.... It’s never us coming with the gimmicks. It’s always on the outside, a "B" Wu guy or somebody like that coming with some crap that’s just so gimmicky. It makes you scratch your head and say, ‘Why Wu-Tang?’ when it’s not Wu-Tang.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    That's a guy in those pictures who's a woman?

PRODIGAL SUN

Maria wack?

growing up it wasnt my favorite BUT

its easily a top 5 track with

A. a top 5-10 beat
    B. Prolly the strongest 4 verses on a single topic of the whole album minus impossible and a better tomorrow.

was never a big fan of explicit sex raps but ghosts verse on projects make maria tame. Def one of my fav tracks ever.

Veteran Member

I never skip it, but I was never a big fan of Maria

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ForensikZ View Post
    Maria wack?

growing up it wasnt my favorite BUT

its easily a top 5 track with

A. a top 5-10 beat
    B. Prolly the strongest 4 verses on a single topic of the whole album minus impossible and a better tomorrow.

was never a big fan of explicit sex raps but ghosts verse on projects make maria tame. Def one of my fav tracks ever.
    Never said it was wack.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

I was never the biggest fan of Maria either

madness

PRODIGAL SUN

i like it as it is

Maria is great. But so are all the other songs. I always liked disc one best. After u skip the intro it's classic tracks right thru. Disc 2 is much looser. More like throwing together all the leftovers. By that I don't mean they're of a lesser quality. Just like disc one is like a real well constructed album, n then disc 2 is more scattered. Still works fantastically, mind u.