Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melon picks his top ten Wu solo LPs

I'm always surprised how highly ppl rank CL2 outside of this forum. The Fishscale one I get.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Why? Cuban Linx II is awesome sauce.

Terry Cloth Rudolph Joint Sky Blue Bally Kid's Avatar

Will watch later. I actually listened to CL2 this week for the first time in about 3 years and it stands up pretty well tbf.

When I'm writing in my room

It's like a child that's fighting in the womb

- KP -

I'm surprised Uncontrolled Substance didn't make it to the list and CL2 was pretty boring and uninspired to be honest fam
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I know. Poor Uncontrolled Substance. If only it had dropped three years earlier like it was supposed to. Being real, U god is the most universally shitted on General, but I consider Golden Arms Redemption to be a solid album

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Poor Review. Nigga Please made the list? I'm going to drop my own list.
    Last edited by Hollow Dartz; 08-23-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Who is this guy and y is his opinion worth hearing and discussing?

I doubt fishscale would make my top 200 Wu related albums. Actually I just wouldn't put it in any list other than most forgettable albums ever.

CL2 would've been quite good if they didn't follow the usual cliche hip hop formula of ruining a potentially good album by inflating it with filler and making it a fucking boring drag to get thru. Easily enough good songs to have made it a consistently engaging, concise album. But hey, who ever liked an accessible album?

Fishscale could've maybe been cut down into a solid 4 track EP or something.

Maybe. I couldn't actually name those 4 tracks, but I'm sure they're there.

I guess I'm in negative, bad vibes mode today.

Suck this drunk alcohol dick.

I don't know if he left Cappadonna out on a technicality or he just doesn't rate The Pillage. I agree with No Said Date, thats a really satisfying, well crafted listen from front to back and does put a new spin on the Wu sound. In general I think MK does a great job crafting his albums, but especially that one.

I'd leave Tical out. The individual songs are dope and weird but as an album it feels too repetitive. I'd put one of the Bobby Digital LPs in there as well. Tical 2000 maybe? I have to hear Nigga Please again, not sure if thats deserving.

Liquid swords
    Cuban linx
    Ironman
    Clientele
    Tical
    return to 36
    Beneath the

Would b the easy Top 7. Also the pillage if that's included.

Other 3 I'd say...

No said date
    Tical 2000

Then prob pick something like digi Bullet, grandmasters, redemption. I'd even throw immobilarity in the mix, especially on a personal level.

Digi Bullet and in stereo both could've been great if cut down to a sensible level by scrapping some of the lesser tracks. Digi Bullet has much better replay value for me.

nada ignorante

Id put The Pillage over Fishscale, Tical 2000 over Tical and Uncontrolled substance over Nigga Please.
    N.I.

FRESH FISH

I'm not a big fan of Fantano, but he explains his opinions well, even if I don't agree. And he built a living out of doing it, so good for him.

That said, I thought his list was cool, and seems mostly the same as 99% of this forum, so I don't get why anyone would complain. The only album that struck me as iffy was ODB's second effort. But Got Your Money was a great single, you have to admit. What, exactly would you pick to replace it, drawing from the other Wu solos? Personally, I'd replace with it with the first Bob Digi album, but nostalgia clouds my vision, and it's weird, so I get why others wouldn't pick it.

The Pillage had some dope tracks for sure, but top 10 Wu solos? I don't know. At the time, he was not an official Clan member. Even if he was, I'm not sure it's a lock. I wouldn't complain if someone picked it, but it's not a lock.

If you think his list was bad, post your own list based on the same criteria, and argue that it's better, then. If you can't do so, you have no right to complain. (No, the CZARFACE albums and Meth & Red albums don't count, because they're not solos. And no, Wu-Fam albums don't count. I guess Cappa albums can count, if you wish.) I'd trade Bob Digi for ODB's 2nd, despite that killer cut with Pharrell.

Uncontrolled Substance is an all right choice, I guess. At the time, I was disappointed. But it was okay. The CZARFACE albums are better, but I guess that's as good as we're going to get for Deck solos, isn't it? Sigh. (The production was boring to me.)

Golden Arms Redemption would definitely NOT make my top 10. It's a barely above average album. Dopium is Uey's best. Yeah, he gets hated on unfairly, but let's not elevate a weak album to the top 10 Wu solos.

Oh, and it was dope he made a list in NO ORDER. That's how these should be done. Also, you should be applauding this dude for putting Wu-Tang on to his young audience. As the years go by, less people will do that. Melon never named his favorite Rakim, BDK or Kool G Rap albums, did he? Wu fans should appreciate this shit and stop sniping at other Wu fans, even if they look like dorky hipsters.
    Last edited by FakeAlias; 08-25-2018 at 03:41 AM.