View Poll Results: Who had the better solo run

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruler zig zag zig

3 20.00%
  • The gza-gza-genius

12 80.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SPIN: Liquid Swords ASIDE, does RZA have a better solo disography than GZA? I Say YES

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    ^lolz, u're pretty much on ur own, dude. I respect ur opinion, which u're most entitled to, but most Wu fans like gza's albums.
    I guess that would be an interesting poll because i wouldn't think most fans would like GZA over GFK albums. I'd take GFK discography over GZA any day.

on topic - it's pretty close between RZA and GZA for me, but I might give a small edge to GZA. If we include Liquid Swords (which I think should be fair) then GZA of course.

^yeah I know Ghost would win that poll, as strongly as I'd disagree. If I gave the impression that wu fans favoured gza's albums over Ghost then I worded my post wrong. I meant he's on his own in not liking gza's albums n thinking rza's discog is stronger.

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    I guess that would be an interesting poll because i wouldn't think most fans would like GZA over GFK albums. I'd take GFK discography over GZA any day.

on topic - it's pretty close between RZA and GZA for me, but I might give a small edge to GZA. If we include Liquid Swords (which I think should be fair) then GZA of course.
    I just say take it out bcuz they both are 50/50 responsible for it (rza even more so with verses and gza letting meth and priest have wsse tially solo joints)

obviously gza is a better mc than rza but lets really be honest... gza doesnt get very personal. I know a lot of people write off guys like pac as having no lyrics but imo, those heartfelt/pac esque shit hit me harder than any 16 by genius.

I say this with liquid swords being my fav album since i was a child

And noel, while this poll is heavily leaning against me... nothing i said here is as wacky as you saying ghost dropped “disgraceful” albums.... uhhhh... what albums are you referring? Cuz both ghost AND rza are BLOWING gza away in the classics department.

And i see a lot of chit chat but noone bringing up these so called classic songs gza was dropping.

Sure... amplified sample. Alphabets. Stay in line and general principles are super dope borderline wu classics (my fav songs from each post LS gza albun)...

but they are NOT fucking with ghsosts the watch, flowers, maxine OR holla, be this way, biscuits OR ragu, the champ, underwater... fucj you gotta go 5 albums in to find some “ehhh” ghost snd that album was just leftover joints from the previous joint. Most gzas albums are big doe rehab/apollo kids status. 36 weeks, sour soul, 12 reasons 1/2 were cash grabs not true solo albums but albums put together for ghost to finish but not HIS vision.

Ane again. Those songs aint fuckin wit: domestic violence, nyc everything, blsck widow OR build strong, hrooklyn babies, must be bobby or the birth, day to god, see the joy...

and i dont think im out on my own at all cuz ten members on wucorp disagree. Im pretty sure rza eclipsed gza on the popularity front. But all be aside... its your opinion. Cool. BUT WHY?

Noones saying why and noone naming any of these so called classocs and explaining WHY gza infinitly better just restating yapl opinion ov r n over.

I stated why i say rza. Cuz rzas solo songs be more classic than gzas. Hebnot as lyrically proficient (a 10 vs a 8.5) but there is EMOTION in rzas shit. And ill say this... ill take tearz/i cant goto sleep/pick sickel shovel rza over gza and any other mc. Dude is responsible for a lot of mediocrity but also for straight CLASSIC HIP HOP. I just figured considerng rza responsible for wu more than anyon else, id see more appreciation for his solo albums because while he never made a 10/10 solo, he produced multiple and his own are def overlooked.

Bpw is the disgraceful album I refer to. The most disgraceful album to come out of the Wu camp. Been saying it since I first started posting here, never had any back up, and will continue to say it until the day I die. Absolute fucking unforgivable disgrace of an album.

And as for ur whole song thing, it's all opinion, but I could basically list the whole bts tracklist as being better than almost any rza solo shit or anything Ghost has done since SC, as well as most of lotls and gm being better than all ghost's post SC shit, and even a lot of Pro tools being better than ghost's shit and a lot of rza's shit.

It's opinion. I'm not gonna invest my thyme in comparing songs.

I need to revisit the rest of Gza's discog cos aside from Grandmasters (and Liquid Swords obviously) his stuff is pretty forgettable. Rza's solo output isn't super great either but I fuck with the first two Bob Digi albums and BOAP.

Matter of fact Grandmasters shits on every RZA record.

PRODIGAL SUN

Pro tools > grandmasters. Bts > grandmasters

Gm is not close to LS level so lets stop calling that a “classic”. Its a good album. Nothing more or less.

Noel my problem with you saying ghost has disgraceful albums while gza has great ones is that... NOONE thinks that. Wu fans. Hip hop fans. Music fans in general. Gza WAS seen as a to tier discog compared to the rest of the clan but never above ghost. But ever since rae dropped cuban 2 gza been gone. Thats why im askin real wu fans their thoughts cuz we prolly only ones who gave rza a chance.

Bpw original version got 4.5 mics for a reason. In not gonna punish ghostface cuz of sample clearsnces as I know the albums ghost was trying to make. Gza didnt have that problem cause he chose CHEAP production with close to zero samples. BTS was a giant step away from the wu sound but still sounded wu esque.... but touching any ghostface album? Not until 2007 did ghost drop a medioce project and that was all cut songs from fishscale.

Rzas albums are the true gems in the wu catalog that get underappreciated.

And again. Rzas style just makes for better verses than gzas. We get something new with rza that we dont get from gza albums.

I said enough. Id like to kno yall picks for these classic gza songs post LS.

Grandmasters IS a classic. 1st time I heard General Principles I felt like I'm listening to Liquid Swords. That album (GM) just delivers, lyric wise & music wise, just the whole atmosphere. + Grandmasters is the spiritual successor to LS.

no way in hell grandmasters is a classic lol. maybe a personal classic, in the same sense I think Warcloud's albums are some of my personal favorite albums ever. But classic should be a general public consensus opinion. TBH, I don't like grandmasters much. Not even nearly as much as Legend of the Liquid Sword

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

What is it you do not like about Grandmasters?

you know i havent heard it in ages, but going back now i can't say too much bad about it lol. not that ive ever thought it was 'bad'. there has been about 3-4 songs I have ALWAYS really liked but I guess I don't feel half the beats are classic level. Maybe my biggest gripe is I think the two opening songs are the weakest so it makes me wanna shut it off.
    overall pretty good, maybe great album. maybe it just doesnt resonate with me personally for whatever reason. cant see that being classic though

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Yeah. That happens sometimes with albums. You do not immediately appreciate it, but do some time later on in life

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    What is it you do not like about Grandmasters?
    The question wasnt directed to me but still wanted to chime in lol

LOVE this album. The only -ve I can say about it is not really feeling beat for "Unprotected Pieces". That's the only song I'd ever skip otherwise play it straight from start to end! Prolly GZAs best solo after LS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
    ... maybe a personal classic... But classic should be a general public consensus opinion...
    Hmmm interesting distinction on classic.
    Personally have interpreted classic to mean an album one can play wout skipping or an album that changes the game/has major impact to genre or music.