Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RZA to produce forthcoming Ol’ Dirty Bastard biopic

Maybe... Maybe that's the only thing he'll be good at - playing his father, I repeat playing, not mimicking...

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

It’s hard to imagine anyone play the rolle of ODB. Afterall he was Ason Unique

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    Idris Elba could actually work. He is a pretty boy though, so the makeup department would really have to rough him up to look like Ol' Dirty Bastard.
    So gets to chose between starring in a RZA produced movie and being the next James Bond.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdeyevizion View Post
    it’s hard to imagine anyone play the rolle of odb. Afterall he was ason unique
    #truth

idk about this, i don't think black people should do biopics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Artsdradamus View Post
    Ol’ Dirty Bastard will soon be the focus of a new biopic from Sony’s Columbia Pictures. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the late rapper’s cousin and fellow Wu-Tang Clan member RZA is already onboard to produce, and the search for a director is in motion.

A founding member of Wu-Tang, ODB was an instrumental part of the group’s numerous albums, including the seminal 1993 debut, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). He also launched his own solo career, releasing full-lengths such as 2009’s Message to the Other Side, Osirus Part 1.

(Read: Ranking + Dissected: Wu-Tang Clan)

Like his discography, ODB’s rap sheet was similarly extensive. The rapper born Russell Tyrone Jones was arrested multiple times (shoplifting, criminal threatening, drug possession, etc.), convicted of second degree assault for an attempted robbery, and also served time behind bars. ODB died in November 2004 from an accidental drug overdose.

RZA has long been attached to various ODB film projects that ultimately were never released. In 2016, he was involved with a biopic featuring a script penned by his and ODB’s first cousin. Although it didn’t see the light of day, at that time RZA spoke to Rolling Stone about Hollywood’s interest in hip-hop-centric films in the wake of the success of Straight Outta Compton:

“Straight Outta Compton showed that hip-hop is a marketplace in cinema,” says the producer. “I always believed that the art we was creating was audio-visual, and it was headed towards visual-audio. And that’s why you see me in this world — my own heart drove me here — and I’m glad that a movie like that breaks out and does such numbers that it’s almost undeniable. It showed that with the proper team and marketing, many of us out here who grew up on this music would love to see the inside makings of those stories.”

While still releasing music, RZA has also made plenty of headway in the film world, co-directing 2012’s The Man with the Iron Fists alongside Eli Roth.
    Soon right? Any word on this?
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    idk about this, i don't think black people should do biopics.
    why is that?
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAll View Post
    TBH Im hesitant for a WTC biopic because of crazy expectations and too much to cover in a single film. Spotlighting only one core member especially one w a story like ODB's is focused yet entertaining enough! Hope that it does get made and released...

I think this is the opposite of what was needed. Why did Wu do a HULU series about the group and then try to make a bio pic about ODB? Do most people even know who or what is an ODB?

Quote Originally Posted by Rame View Post
    So gets to chose between starring in a RZA produced movie and being the next James Bond.

Ahahahahahaha

Knowledge Seeker

Quote Originally Posted by Kutman View Post
    Michael K. Williams would be monster!
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Michael K. Williams died last year. I do think he would have played a great ODB, he was one of the best actors out there.
    PEACE

Quote Originally Posted by zooruka View Post
    I think this is the opposite of what was needed. Why did Wu do a HULU series about the group and then try to make a bio pic about ODB? Do most people even know who or what is an ODB?
    Stating it like this, I could see this whole biopic idea being changed into a series. But who is to say what will happen. Don't really think ODB's legacy has been well handled thus far.

This should be Tarrantinos tenth film. If not, Werner Herzog should direct.

Quote Originally Posted by phadde96 View Post
    This should be Tarrantinos tenth film. If not, Werner Herzog should direct.
    Werner Herzog? Lol thats out of leftfield. Would be cool though.

Eastern village

I am not sure if a bio pic is still in production anymore. Now Rza has the hulu series witch can tell a broader story then a bio pic. What do you think. I say it would be cool if they came up to the point were odb got hes deal with electra. And they made a maybe two episodes where you see things from odbs perspective growing up until the point it blend in with were around the hulu series start. That could be an hour episode. Then the recording process could be another episode were they could show how it went down when he did hes debut album.

What do you think?

Herzog would be an interesting choice who always does his subjects justice. Tarantino not so much, too overrated.

A mini series could actually work for ODB. 4 episodes of an hour. 1st album. Forever. 2nd album. incarceration and release and death.