Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Wu-Tang: An American Saga Thread

Would be nice to see Rae and Ghost writing rhymes in Barbados though, the entire Cuban Linx saga...

I guess it was Hulu's call. I doubt this was popular series, regardless of good reviews...

I finally finished season 2. This isn't the Sopranos, but it's good enough. The actor who plays Rae is super talented. Not sure why Ghost is mean-mugging people the whole show, like he's always got a chip on his shoulder. Everyone looks the part, even if the acting isn't Al Pacino level. The actor who plays U-God looks more like U-God than U-God himself.

The art of sampling scene is simply brilliant. Someone posted it on YouTube and it's probably the most famous scene from the whole show. I'm sure every producer can relate to that scene.

If this show doesn't get you excited about hip-hop, digging crates for old records, and the Wu in particular, then you're a lost cause. Every aspiring rapper needs to watch this show.

Season 2 is way better than the first season

Eastern village

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenchild View Post
    I finally finished season 2. This isn't the Sopranos, but it's good enough. The actor who plays Rae is super talented. Not sure why Ghost is mean-mugging people the whole show, like he's always got a chip on his shoulder. Everyone looks the part, even if the acting isn't Al Pacino level. The actor who plays U-God looks more like U-God than U-God himself.

The art of sampling scene is simply brilliant. Someone posted it on YouTube and it's probably the most famous scene from the whole show. I'm sure every producer can relate to that scene.

If this show doesn't get you excited about hip-hop, digging crates for old records, and the Wu in particular, then you're a lost cause. Every aspiring rapper needs to watch this show.

Season 2 is way better than the first season
    I agree with your post. The guys who plays rae and odb do that extremly well. Even the guy who plays meth do a good effort. Had a problem with him until I watched the first episode again last week. Now i get him a bit more. Cant wait for season 3. No its not great but its good and entertaining. Even get some 90's flashbacks watching it.

I'm guessing season 3 will start with the "flood," but man did that even happen? I feel like RZA is exaggerating that. Whole albums destroyed? idk. and if it happened, why not recreate the beats?

Whole albums destroyed? idk. and if it happened, why not recreate the beats?
    He did, at least for Tical. For the Deck project he said fuck it.

Shaolin Master

I'm guessing season 3 will start with the "flood," but man did that even happen? I feel like RZA is exaggerating that. Whole albums destroyed? idk. and if it happened, why not recreate the beats?
    The only things off in the episode is RZA writing the album names on single discs which would only have a single beat on them, but they did that as a shorthand to illustrate they lost albums worth of material when the hundreds of beats got wiped out (could have just wrote it on the disc cases for the same effect.

Also, it's not as complete as there were whole finished albums ready to go but he had the beats set aside with Meth or Deck or GZA in mind which formed the basis for those albums. That's where you have the stories like Rae getting "Incarcerated Scarfaces" that was supposed to go to GZA. RZA set it aside for GZA but Rae heard it and snatched it up for his album. Some were further along than others and some RZA would start to work themes into the beats for that member. (Deck's mentioned a Spider Man theme in what was wiped out).

And "recreate the beats" is an odd thing to expect when you're talking about hundreds of beats RZA put together over many years. How would you even start that process? You might remember a sample you used with a drum pattern or an element you played but you're not going to remember everything you sequenced into every one of 300-500 fully composed beats.

Eastern village

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah_MAC View Post
    The only things off in the episode is RZA writing the album names on single discs which would only have a single beat on them, but they did that as a shorthand to illustrate they lost albums worth of material when the hundreds of beats got wiped out (could have just wrote it on the disc cases for the same effect.

Also, it's not as complete as there were whole finished albums ready to go but he had the beats set aside with Meth or Deck or GZA in mind which formed the basis for those albums. That's where you have the stories like Rae getting "Incarcerated Scarfaces" that was supposed to go to GZA. RZA set it aside for GZA but Rae heard it and snatched it up for his album. Some were further along than others and some RZA would start to work themes into the beats for that member. (Deck's mentioned a Spider Man theme in what was wiped out).

And "recreate the beats" is an odd thing to expect when you're talking about hundreds of beats RZA put together over many years. How would you even start that process? You might remember a sample you used with a drum pattern or an element you played but you're not going to remember everything you sequenced into every one of 300-500 fully composed beats.
    As I allways understood it meths album got wiped out from the flood and rza had to hurry to make new beats for the album since it was on the line to drop. And also decks album was more or less done.

Then I have no clue for the rest of the clan.

But according to deck protect your neck was supposed to be on hes solo album. For example.

Shaolin Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee3 View Post
    As I allways understood it meths album got wiped out from the flood and rza had to hurry to make new beats for the album since it was on the line to drop. And also decks album was more or less done.

Then I have no clue for the rest of the clan.

But according to deck protect your neck was supposed to be on hes solo album. For example.
    Meth was the first signed so his album was first to be completed so it was the furthest along, but, again, it's not like a fully recorded and mastered album was wiped out in whole- just many of the beats and recordings slated for it. But, again, with his album due up, he had the most songs near or at completion & the framework of an album ready. For Meth's album, they had to scramble to record everywhere to get the album done for release.

Tical:
    Tracks 1 to 4, 7, 8 and 12 recorded at 36 Chambers, Staten Island, NY and mixed at Chung King, NYC. Tracks 5, 9 and 11 recorded and mixed at Chung King, NYC. Tracks 6 and 10 recorded and mixed at Firehouse Studios, NYC. Track 13 recorded and mixed at Platinum Island, NYC.

Plus they had all been recording songs for years with them being possibly slated for this or that project, so full songs were done here & there as well for all of them. PYN possibly going on a Deck album might have been talked about before things were in motion but by the time they decided to press it up it was fully intended as the group's lead single.

I still haven't seen S2 but I enjoyed the first one.

I'm guessing S3 will focus on Forever? I haven't read anything on that.

Eastern village

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I still haven't seen S2 but I enjoyed the first one.

I'm guessing S3 will focus on Forever? I haven't read anything on that.
    S2 was better than s1. Im sure youll enjoy it. For me it felt they are finding their footing more then s1. Only character i felt got slightly worse is the guy who plays rza. But only on the count that he tries to imitate rzas way of speaking to much and it sounds eehh to me. Other than that s2 is allover better then s1.

I always remember Poppa Wu saying that some cats in the Clan were beefing and shooting at eachother etc on the Story Of The Wu-Tang Clan DVD.
    And then seeing American Saga and watching Ghost & Rae were beefing like that. Idk how true that shit was, definetly interesting.
    I saw Protect Ya Neck, Airwaves & Saturday Nite episodes last night, and they were dope asf.
    Specially Protect Ya Neck and how kid RZA was making the beat.
    Only thing that throws me off is when they start rapping, they should’ve used the OG material lol

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah_MAC View Post
    Meth was the first signed so his album was first to be completed so it was the furthest along, but, again, it's not like a fully recorded and mastered album was wiped out in whole- just many of the beats and recordings slated for it. But, again, with his album due up, he had the most songs near or at completion & the framework of an album ready. For Meth's album, they had to scramble to record everywhere to get the album done for release.

Tical:
    Tracks 1 to 4, 7, 8 and 12 recorded at 36 Chambers, Staten Island, NY and mixed at Chung King, NYC. Tracks 5, 9 and 11 recorded and mixed at Chung King, NYC. Tracks 6 and 10 recorded and mixed at Firehouse Studios, NYC. Track 13 recorded and mixed at Platinum Island, NYC.

Plus they had all been recording songs for years with them being possibly slated for this or that project, so full songs were done here & there as well for all of them. PYN possibly going on a Deck album might have been talked about before things were in motion but by the time they decided to press it up it was fully intended as the group's lead single.
    I think RZA said that Dirty was the 1st member to get signed.
    Btw, i’ve heard that Meth tracks for Tical were also lost in a flood, and thats why it kinda sounds rushed and shit.
    If so, was that the same flood where RZA lost Deck’s music too????

Eastern village