Thread: Wu-Tang: An American Saga Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think there's way too much emphasis on Ghost. Especially for a show with potentially 9 main characters. We've seen 0 of dirty's story which is dumb in the long term because he's going to die and plot wise they have to make it matter. He's just like a floating commentator. For as interesting a person as method man is and how important his 'interestingness' was to their success, they sure as hell never show him. And they're playing up the 'conflict' between them way too much. The fact that many of them were friends before wutang is important and every time I saw a conflict scene this last episode (which was an unnecessary episode) I got the 'ok i get it' feeling. Why would Raekwon come and talk shit to Method Man about how he's making money selling drugs when Method Man has a job and Raekwon is sleeping on a roof lol. I know they want retroactively force in that method man was some sort of unrealistic dreamer thinking he could be a rapper but it comes off completely illogically, especially since Raekwon himself starts the series rapping lol. I think the actually interesting plot points (ODB's decent into drug use and insanity, and the conflict to come within the group, the personalities of the members) are all being subdued by bad plotting choices

You can tell it's from Rza's perspective and they want to emphasize the payoff when he brings them together, but it shouldn't be done to the point that all of their personalities are 'embattled ghetto nigga'. I think the guy playing Ghost is a good actor who has never seen ghost face in his life. Ghost's personality is a major staple in hip hop as a whole, it's really weird to me that he's just playing Fredro Star. At first he was cool but now he needs to chill the fuck out because we get it, you're an embattled ghetto nigga.

The girl playing Rza's sister is good, the Divine character is was more alpha than I could ever imagine Divine's actual crossed ass but I'll roll with it. The highlight is still the kid playing Raekwon and the criminally under utilized character playing dirty. I have a REALLY hard time believing ODB was just casually hanging out and reacting to things as opposed to setting the tone of wherever he was..but I guess it's hard to write 'odb' in a linear story line.

And the way they're rapping is fucking annoying. Not only are these kids wack AF, when they're capable of sounding like they have heard rap music before, the sound like modern NY rappers. The song ghost did sounds fucking ridiculous for it's time and for ghost because it's literally a 2002 Onyx comeback song.
    Last edited by TSA; 09-19-2019 at 11:32 AM.