Thread: Will robots take your job?

Default Will robots take your job?

So a few years ago these 2 economists Frey & Osborne published a study on the future job market and estimated that within 20 years half of all current jobs could be done by AI and robots.

I'm working as a bartender atm which has a 77% chance of being automated in 20 years. I also do a bit of private tuition, teaching somehow has 0% chance of being automated so I should probably take that more seriously. I make a little money from music as well which has a 7% chance.

They aren't saying it definitely will happen, just that its possible. The days are numbered on certain industries already, it just depends what else gets affected.

Anyway post the results from the site, and savor the carefree days before the plot of Terminator 2 happens.

https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/

well I don't trust their calculations at all

as an escrow agent at a title company, knowing the type of work I do I can't see even a 5% chance of it being automated by computers, but they say 99% chance. Yet teaching or bar tending seems like it would be 99% chance it could be automated

Teaching might be possible but you still need an adult there for child students to make sure it doesn't end up like Lord Of The Flies. Bars are more of a social experience, but I guess that doesn't entirely preclude them.

Actually I think its more likely that the bar industry has a general decline instead as this generation drinks way less than previous ones.

I don't know enough about escrow duties but probably some parts of the job could be automated.

the level of intelligence is scary

i have no doubt some aspects of this job can be automated. but i also deal with obtaining lien/ mortgage releases or payoff figures from law offices, mortgage companies, ect. that requires either written or conference called authorization from homeowners. reviewing property surveys, trust docs, divorces, probate docs and the list goes on. plus I would assume you'll need some level of human interaction when issuing title insurance or the risk of claims could be huge.

as far as the title search itself, recording documents with the county, i can see that being automated once all counties go strictly online, which could be 10+ years for many of these smaller counties

and yeah I use Salesforce daily and hate the hell out of it lol
    ..in the last 5-7 years a LOT of small title companies went the wayside actually. luckily i work for the national branch of the largest
    Last edited by Mumm Ra; 12-07-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Maybe it'll take the escrow business a bit longer? but you can already see the offline retail industry shrinking or disappearing, the transport industry trying to automate almost everything, and factories and warehouses employing mostly robots. Whole industries could get rid of millions of human workers within a decade.

These jobs aren't all going to be replaced by software engineers and robot technicians. For one thing you can get AI and robots to do those jobs lol. If somebody comes up with a super intelligent self learning machine all bets are off.

I don't think its necessarily doomsday, but it could change human existence completely.

Uber’s Driverless Cars Return to the Road After Fatal Crash

Uber’s autonomous vehicles returned to public roads in Pittsburgh on Thursday.

SAN FRANCISCO — Uber said its autonomous vehicles returned to public roads on Thursday, nine months after one of its self-driving cars killed a pedestrian in Tempe, Ariz.
    But Uber’s driverless vehicles are operating at drastically reduced speeds and in less challenging environments than before, the company said, as it eases back into testing and tries to ensure people’s safety.
    “We will continue to prioritize safety and proactively communicate our progress until we’ve built a self-driving system that lives up to the promise of making transportation safer and more affordable for everyone,” Eric Meyhofer, who leads Uber’s autonomous vehicle unit, said in a statement.
    Uber said it received permission on Monday from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation to test its driverless cars again on public roads in Pittsburgh. The company said it planned to put fewer than five cars on the road on Thursday, and slowly add to that over time.

Each car will have two drivers inside, ready to take over in case something goes wrong, Uber said. The operators will work in four-hour shifts, down from eight to 10 hours previously. No passengers will ride in the cars.
    The autonomous cars will also go no faster than 25 miles an hour, down from as fast as 55 m.p.h. before. They will operate only on a limited loop in Pittsburgh’s Strip District, a bustling commercial area, and only during daylight hours on weekdays, Uber said.

[The self-driving future is still years away, so some autonomous tech companies are trying smaller vehicles.]
    Uber said it was also putting autonomous vehicles back on the streets in Toronto and San Francisco, although those cars will operate in manual mode, which means a human driver will control the vehicles’ movements rather than software.
    The company had grounded its fleet of autonomous vehicles in March after one of its cars — with an emergency backup driver behind the wheel — struck and killed Elaine Herzberg, 49, on a street in Tempe.

Getting the cars back on the road since then has been difficult. As Uber worked to make its cars safer, it lowered its expectations for speed and performance, The New York Times previously reported. Even so, the cars struggled to pass safety tests. Last month, the cars were still failing 10 out of 70 safety tests, according to internal documents.
    The safety overhaul “required a lot of introspection and took some time,” Mr. Meyhofer said. “Now we are ready to move forward.”
    Uber’s autonomous vehicle group will most likely face intense scrutiny over the next several months. The National Transportation Safety Board’s investigation into the fatal Arizona crash is still open.
    Uber has pitched autonomous vehicles as a way to reduce the fees it pays to human drivers. But the company is still spending heavily on developing and testing the cars. Dara Khosrowshahi, Uber’s chief executive, has been focused on winnowing unprofitable businesses ahead of taking the company public next year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/t...rs-return.html

Banned

driverless cars returning to pittsburgh is a good thing. these old fucks can't drive around here. the whole state of ohio needs them first though