Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OUATIS in 2019 - What’s the deal?

Say what you will about the handling of this album and it’s sale - It was a viral entity that in my opinion launched Wu-Tang into the lime light in 2015+ It helped the brand in the end, if you don’t see that. You’re a god damn fool.

Fight me IDK

I guess the question i’m looking to have answered is: Is it officially in Federal hands, and will it go to auction?

It’s bee almost a year since Martin’s been in jail.

Peace CT

I completely disagree with that whole lime light argument. But we are all entitled to an opinion. Peace

PRODIGAL SUN

I WILL fight you

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

The album is in an art house storage facility only known to the DOJ and Martin's lawyers awaiting Martin's appeal to his jail sentence and fine which included the seizure of the album as an asset to partially cover the 7.3 million USD penalty. As long as the appeal is in place, that album will remain in the storage facility, this could be years. I myself have spoken to the DOJ and the Attorney General's office of the Eastern District of NY five times to discuss all the complexities of the terms and conditions and restrictions attached to this album, including a 50% copyright to its content which we retained. While a decision has not been made officially, partially due to the ongoing appeal, it might prove the album has too many restrictions attached to it that will make it commercially unviable to fulfill the purpose of a seizure. Thus, the album's fate is still unknown and ongoing until the appeal is resolved and the DOJ will subsequently make a decision based on the outcome of that appeal.

Martin is fine by the way. He's in a minimum security white collar type of jail. Nothing like the one he spent 6 months in for fucking up when he was on bail.

And yes, the amount of press the album gave the brand of Wu-Tang was unprecedented. I wouldn't know how to measure in figures, especially as it cannot be measured against Wu-Tang Forever which was released in a time of no social media and far less internet use compared to today, but RZA quotes it as 'equivalent to 25 Million dollars worth" in the Showtime documentary, or at least in the excerpt that I seen of it. Not sure if it's in the final version.

I don't usually jump on the "you a hater" bandwagon. But yeah, if you can't believe the story of this album did not skyrocket the visibility of Wu-Tang in the press like never before, you wilin'. Here's a list of just the main ones we saw. This story made front page CNN, twice.

http://scluzay.com/media/
    Last edited by Cilvaringz; 02-13-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Peace CT

Have said my piece numerous times so now just beating a dead horse. Meanwhile we have an album dropping in a day with arguably the 2 best MCs in the Clan and nobody gives a sh!t. Kinda ironic no? Peace

What does mainstream press coverage do for Wu-Tang though? Did it spike their sales or anything? Maybe it has some long term effect in terms of name recognition that can't be quantified I guess.

I think Wu-Tang were already highly visible in the mainstream anyway, they're a go to reference in every comedy movie and artists like Drake and Ariana Grande make songs inspired by them.

who does forensiks want to fight? whoever it is, i got money on the other guy

Shaolin Master

To Cilva's credit, I think "million dollar album" being in the zeitgeist rather than "A Better Tomorrow" being the last mark of the Wu brand has helped the legend endure to where this 25th anniversary is hitting much bigger than the 20th did. Also I don't think Math's Wu album or the upcoming Ghost Wu album comes about without Cilva's venture (from the results of both positives and negatives from OUATIS.) I think it helped galvanize the Clan in many ways toward these currently organized projects in film, TV, music & touring.

So, even though I know much of the site still sees it as a "fan betrayal," I totally see OUATIS, despite the pharmabro fiasco, as a net positive to Wu-Tang as a group and brand overall at this point.

Plus, while I understand & tried to warn some of this fan backlash [especially on this site] was coming, I always supported it was Cilva's project to do whatever he wanted with.

I know yall felt especially invested w/ how he involved yall in the process from the beginning before he even knew what it was going to be, but, ultimately, despite the RZA heavy press releases, this is a Cilvaringz project and he has the right to end up releasing it however he feels is the best option to recoup what he paid already and profit to make it all worth it. (Plus too many forget his test-run w/ the Wuki package & the limited sale ultimately leaking proved his theory that wouldn't work so the private sale was the only way to ensure exclusivity. That's one or more of yall fucking up that option.)
    Last edited by Buddah_MAC; 02-14-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Ariana Grande has a Wu-tang inspired song? I need to hear that.

@ Cilva

Do the right thing! Take the money you and Rza got for the album , buy it back and release it to the public ! Then you might restore some of the credibility you lost.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by josborne3680 View Post
    Have said my piece numerous times so now just beating a dead horse. Meanwhile we have an album dropping in a day with arguably the 2 best MCs in the Clan and nobody gives a sh!t. Kinda ironic no? Peace
    What album by whom?

Peace CT

Exactly^. Ghost and Czarface album. Peace

PRODIGAL SUN

the album did nothing really But provide headlines for the Showtimes and Hulus of the world to validate their future purchase. Every article was about skreli being the buyer ... thats what caused the news that mattered. The album itself is a total non issue to anyone but US. To pretend like it didnt dent wutang with the hip hop crowd while bringing it up with the corporate crowd is not paying attention.

But Watching cilva consistantly give himself dap is one of my favorite pastimes.

What can i say Im a sucker for wutang business acumen.

The only thing this album did for me os give me hope of a 4th/true master collabo album

“Cant wait for that czarface album” said no wu fan ever. We dont even check real inspectah deck albums and ima listen to esoteric. Lmao.
    Last edited by ForensikZ; 02-14-2019 at 11:55 AM.

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

Rings. Donald Trump’s on every news front page in the world every fucking day and still nobody likes him.. So that shit doesn’t count in terms of making one popular or money for that sake

Quote Originally Posted by Rame View Post
    Ariana Grande has a Wu-tang inspired song? I need to hear that.