Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever knocked spike lee out?

Shaolin Master

Default Has anyone ever knocked spike lee out?

I would like to see that. Dude is still whining that Miss Daisy put him in his place.

Banned

His movies are corny. Hasn’t put together a complete great one yet and his career is basically over.

He’s known more for his antics at Knicks games than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooch View Post
    His movies are corny. Hasn’t put together a complete great one yet and his career is basically over.

He’s known more for his antics at Knicks games than anything.
    He had a damn good run from the late 80s to the early 90s. Not that they aren't corny, but I think they're also funny, intelligent and brilliantly cast. If nothing else his visual style put his peers to shame in the 90s.

You didn't like Clockers? Jungle Fever?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post

He had a damn good run from the late 80s to the early 90s. Not that they aren't corny, but I think they're also funny, intelligent and brilliantly cast. If nothing else his visual style put his peers to shame in the 90s.

You didn't like Clockers? Jungle Fever?
    They’re not bad movies. He had a good run. Better than Woody allen flicks. I don’t know about “intelligent”, But they were entertaining, he loved to play on stereotypes most of his characters were caricature-ish.

Jungle fever was boring. 25th Hour and Summer of Sam were more entertaining.

Do The Right thing was overrated in my opinion.

He went too extreme with stereotypes for it to be taken all that seriously. Entertaining but ultimately falls flat at the end.

And fake too.... them shines would have burned down that Korean joint lets be real
    Spike.

I dunno, like I said. They’re decent movies, he’s not a hack. He gets plenty of recognition I don’t know why he’s worried about the fake ass academy.

He’s always been a wormy cocksucker though.

Quote Originally Posted by shadynasty View Post

he had a damn good run from the late 80s to the early 90s. Not that they aren't corny, but i think they're also funny, intelligent and brilliantly cast. If nothing else his visual style put his peers to shame in the 90s.

You didn't like clockers? Jungle fever?
    ^^^^thank you

Quote Originally Posted by shadynasty View Post

he had a damn good run from the late 80s to the early 90s. Not that they aren't corny, but i think they're also funny, intelligent and brilliantly cast. If nothing else his visual style put his peers to shame in the 90s.

You didn't like clockers? Jungle fever?
    ^^^^thank you

Peace CT

25th Hour is a classic. N Blackkklamsman was solid. But yeah he seems like a douche. Peace

I thought Inside Man was cool too.

Banned

Hes a black dude from New York City. They all have that quasi- 5 percent nation black nationalism arrogant streak just like our favorite rap group.

Couple that with the fact he’s in showbiz and it’s a it’s a dramatic orgy.

I just never found any of it “intelligent”. Toe that’s just a word white liberals use whenever a black dude makes a movie and it’s usually baseless.

He’s pretty straightforward.

From a technicality standpoint, I can’t speak to that I don’t know enough a ot filmmaking and editing.

But as far as the movies themselves, they were straightforward, somewhat honest with a lot of poetic license. Quirky approach mostly.

He attempts to say something in a lot of his movies but he really isn’t saying anything groundbreaking.

He kinda just reacts to current Events. And this time, surprise, it’s the big scary Donald Trump.

he has had to be douchey, considering his journey in show business wasn't an easy one, if you knew what it took for dude to fund his projects, you would respect him more than actually shit directors like uwe boll who always have funding readily available for their garbage movies. put respect on the mans name.

Banned

Every director complains about funding. That’s the universal complaint. You want to give spike lee a badge for greatest struggle of directors in his era, go ahead.

“Put respect on his name”.... dude never misses an opportunity to shit on Italian Americans or portray as negatively as he can, so I can’t really respect him in that regard. It’s not a one time thing, he’s repeatedly done it for 30 years.

And ultimately he’s gotten enough funding to make a lot of movies so not sure what the complaint is anymore.

All I’m saying is the movies I don’t find to be intelligent. Just reactionary to current events he uses to exploit and hype his movies, like he did with this new one.

But it’s not groundbreaking. Everyone and their mother is using the Trump scapegoat. It’s more lazy than anything.

And let’s face it, artsy “intelligent” movies that the academy loves and that the smarmy critics slobber up don’t usually make money, there’s a risk on the return.

Whereas a rebooted cornball series like “Creed” will have open ended funding forever as they remake the same movie over and over.

But yea, Spike Lee wants to be an artist? Goes with the territory.

He’s a douche though, in an overall general sense.

in all fairness, he also has done work portraying black people in not such a positive light, his niche or nature of his work delves in such subject matter so i wouldn't take him to task for it, and even the movies where he portrays bad italians, he does make sure to contrast it with good ones too, i think you need to delve into more of his material, you may have a different outlook on the man.

'Shes Gotta Have It' was a pretty genius film when you consider what the average comedy was like in the 80s, plus it was the definition of progressive (back when that word wasn't an insult) and basically started a wave of auteur indie filmmakers.

I think most of his early movies were insightful, or at least relatively smart. I vaguely remember Summer Of Sam, I wouldn't have said it was one of his better films although it was well shot and acted. Michael Imperioli wrote it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
    in all fairness, he also has done work portraying black people in not such a positive light, his niche or nature of his work delves in such subject matter so i wouldn't take him to task for it, and even the movies where he portrays bad italians, he does make sure to contrast it with good ones too, i think you need to delve into more of his material, you may have a different outlook on the man.
    Good point.

John Turturro was fantastic playing those roles. There were some other Italian characters that were cliche, but no worse than a B character from The Sopranos.