Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men Parts 1-4

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Just wished they would've had a part 5 bonus talking about Killa Beez. The top tier Killa beez, Interview some of them and have clan members speak on them also.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I also said conspiracy theories, theres definitely an element of that in the 5%.

I'm not sure how many people who follow 5% truly believe all of it, but theres a lot of weird shit in there and I'm sure like any other belief there are people who take it on face value.

Actually it doesn't matter what it is. It could be religion, capitalism, communism, liberals or conservatives etc. A lot of people are willing to pledge allegiance to these ideologies at the expense of gaining a wider, more complex view on life.

This is just a generalization. I know these concepts can help people, they just also contain a lot of misinformation. Look at what RZA and Killah Priest say about religion these days, they just use the elements that are useful and don't buy into any one thing.
    But the 5% is not a religion LOL. We are anti-religion. And one of our main precepts is “take nothing at face value”... we pride ourselves in “doing the Knowledge” (to look, listen, observe as well as respect...but also to RESEARCH EVERYTHING. Including the Knowledge that we are given within the 5%...this aint a chirch where u walk in and they force u to believe something. We dont deal with belief...we deal with actual facts). We consider ourselves somewhat of scientists (hence our saying “whats the science”) because what does a scientist do? A scientist does research and tests certain theories out...and if the theory cannot be proven, we disqualify it and it remains just that...a theory. Again, we deal with ACTUAL FACTS and the study of LIFE. We dont deal with anything that exists outside of the 5 senses of sight, sound, smell, breath and touch. That is why we study these things...the speed of sound (1,120 feet per second), the speed of light (186,000 miles per second), ect ect. It is called the Knowledge Of Self for a reason... because we must know our SELF first (our bio-chemical make-up) before we master all other things. PEACE...I hope I have provided u with a clearer and broader understanding.
    Last edited by LordReveal; 06-03-2019 at 11:38 PM.
    The Holy Temple Is The Mental

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

^Might look into these things. It sounds like a way of life that could do me good. I assume it goes for all races despite the saying: “the black man is God”?

Shaolin Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    Just wished they would've had a part 5 bonus talking about Killa Beez. The top tier Killa beez, Interview some of them and have clan members speak on them also.
    Agreed. I think it's dubious (albeit true to character), that RZA and co did not acknowledge the Killa Beez in this doc. From an outsiders perspective - the Killa Beez might be viewed as weed-carriers; hangers-on; freeloaders etc... The fans in the know however know that this is quite the opposite, and couldn't be any further from the truth. The top tier Killa Beez are a fundamental aspect to the foundation of the Clan. WTC emerged out of a whole bigger movement (United Kingdom/Pop.Click etc...)
    It's a shame that the Brooklyn influence on Wu-Tang's formation was downplayed, or not even acknowledged. A third of Wu is Brooklyn (GZA/Masta… and of course ODB!). Even RZA's roots and family are in Brooklyn. I understand that from a business perspective and when forming the brand, hyping up the Shaolin aspect made sense, as it gave them a geographical and symbolic niche - no other crew was repping Shaolin in mainstream hip-hop at the time. Nevertheless, the doc makers and Rza should have paid homage to the Brooklyn element of Wu.
    If Wu-Tang is a sword, then the Brooklyn Wu fam was the megalithic flint with which the sword was sharpened. Priest/60/Razah/Shabazz/Timbo/Buddah Monk/ True Master/Popa Wu. These are all guys that have a long-spanning history with Wu; most of whom are vital and key players in Wu tang's ascendance and success. It can be argued that the respect-level and notoriety that Wu had in their early days, was because of the Brooklyn section of their hefty entourage (Shabazz/Sunz/Zu/Cuffies). Wu took a lot of their style and ideas from these cats.
    RZA should have ensured that the Brooklyn section of Wu was acknowledge and honored. These bedrock artists should have been interviewed as they are not just affiliates but a vital part of Wu's formation from the get-go.

Shaolin Master

Five Percenters say that the black man is Allah and the white man is the devil.

I am a white man, and also a Muslim, and Five Percenters exist for the pleasure of neither white people nor Muslims, but I have been a friend of this community for roughly a decade now. This relationship has transformed the ways in which I see the world and also myself.

I first encountered the Five Percent during the cross-country wanderings that became my American Muslim road book, Blue-Eyed Devil. Though most Five Percenters do not consider themselves to be Muslims, I saw this community as a necessary component of the story of American Islam. So I went to their headquarters, the Allah School on Seventh Avenue in Harlem, and ended up having a pretty good time. Because the Five Percenters were critically under researched and misrepresented, I embarked on a project entirely devoted to them: The Five Percenters: Islam, Hip-Hop, and the Gods of New York.

In the course of collecting texts, interviewing community elders, decoding Wu Tang lyrics, and hanging out at Five Percenter gatherings (parliaments), something changed. As an amateur ethnographer, I was not prepared to be affected by the materials that I was ingesting. Spending thousands of hours thinking about the Five Percenters, I actually began to internalize their narratives, symbols, and ideas. Though I wasn’t entirely inside, I was no longer outside. My position became a strange in-between space that I would examine in another project, Why I am a Five Percenter.

The first lesson I learned from the Five Percent was simple: Fuck white people. Seriously. White people are devils. I don’t mean this as a statement on biology, because the category of “race” is only political fiction and bad science. I’m using the term more in the sense of what it means to be marked as white in an unjust society. The fact is that I benefit from being white in several ways that I recognize, and many, many more that I usually fail to see. Because I am so often blind to the benefits of my whiteness, it is possible that I unintentionally reenforce those benefits, no matter how vehemently I say that I oppose racism or shower white affection on groups like the Five Percenters. When people want to sound like they’re theoretically sophisticated, they describe this phenomenon with the term, “white privilege.” I call it Satan.

Malcolm X returned from Mecca with a belief that classical Islam’s allegedly transracial brotherhood could help white Americans to move beyond the race poison that has been so deeply injected into their brains. However, I’ve also seen white Muslim converts use this claim to color-blindness as an excuse to avoid talking seriously about race. Mix white privilege with the privilege of religious orthodoxy, and you get a white Sunni who doesn’t have to consider why Elijah Muhammad was so absolutely necessary for this country.

There have been numerous white Five Percenters throughout the community’s history, and I have ironically found a greater fulfillment of Malcolm’s experience in Mecca through the Five Percenters than in my Sunni conversion. A Five Percenter elder told me that if I rejected white supremacy and strove for righteousness, I could not be called a devil; though he believed in the Five Percenter doctrine of white devils, he would not hold that against me as an individual. The answer was not for white people to instantly stop being white, as Malcolm had claimed that Islam would do for them, but to directly confront their whiteness and everything that whiteness does in the world. To be white in America means that I have been groomed to be a devil. The Five Percenters allowed me a space in which I could confess that and work to transcend it.

Five Percenters also gave me some useful ways for thinking about myself as a Muslim. Their claim to personal godhood offers, among many other things, a statement on organized religion. At a time when I was unsure of my own identity as a Muslim, Five Percenters—who generally reject the term “Muslim” for themselves—empowered me to claim ownership of my Islam. The Five Percenter disdain for religious hierarchies actually rescued my Muslim-ness. It was through the ability to make choices about my tradition that I could have any relationship to it at all. The Five Percenter breakdowns of “Allah” as “Arm Leg Leg Arm Head” and “Islam” as “I Self Lord And Master” gave me everything that I had sought in taqwacore.

Five Percenters study the Supreme Wisdom Lessons, the initiatory texts of the Nation of Islam, without blind adherence to the NOI institution or authorities such as Elijah Muhammad and Louis Farrakhan. In that way, they’re kind of like Salafi Muslims, who advocate a “straight to the texts” approach and see themselves as above Islam’s established legal schools. But unlike the Salafis, who seek to minimize the role of creative interpretation, Five Percenters emphasize the power of the individual reader to draw meaning up from the text. For Five Percenters, the truth of the Lessons is less about what they “really” say than the understanding that you, as the reader, produce from them. I’ve done my own work with the Lessons, but have also applied a Five Percenter approach to my relationship with the Qur’an and the prophetic traditions.

I’m not god and I’m not the devil. I am a human being, and the Five Percenters have helped me along the road to full humanity and peace within both my mosque and my own skin.

Michael Muhammad Knight (@MM_Knight) is the author of nine books, including Blue-Eyed Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrandir View Post
    Agreed. I think it's dubious (albeit true to character), that RZA and co did not acknowledge the Killa Beez in this doc. From an outsiders perspective - the Killa Beez might be viewed as weed-carriers; hangers-on; freeloaders etc... The fans in the know however know that this is quite the opposite, and couldn't be any further from the truth. The top tier Killa Beez are a fundamental aspect to the foundation of the Clan. WTC emerged out of a whole bigger movement (United Kingdom/Pop.Click etc...)
    It's a shame that the Brooklyn influence on Wu-Tang's formation was downplayed, or not even acknowledged. A third of Wu is Brooklyn (GZA/Masta… and of course ODB!). Even RZA's roots and family are in Brooklyn. I understand that from a business perspective and when forming the brand, hyping up the Shaolin aspect made sense, as it gave them a geographical and symbolic niche - no other crew was repping Shaolin in mainstream hip-hop at the time. Nevertheless, the doc makers and Rza should have paid homage to the Brooklyn element of Wu.
    If Wu-Tang is a sword, then the Brooklyn Wu fam was the megalithic flint with which the sword was sharpened. Priest/60/Razah/Shabazz/Timbo/Buddah Monk/ True Master/Popa Wu. These are all guys that have a long-spanning history with Wu; most of whom are vital and key players in Wu tang's ascendance and success. It can be argued that the respect-level and notoriety that Wu had in their early days, was because of the Brooklyn section of their hefty entourage (Shabazz/Sunz/Zu/Cuffies). Wu took a lot of their style and ideas from these cats.
    RZA should have ensured that the Brooklyn section of Wu was acknowledge and honored. These bedrock artists should have been interviewed as they are not just affiliates but a vital part of Wu's formation from the get-go.
    I think we are going too deep here. Don't you think if RZA mentioned those others, the rest of the clan gonna wana promote their bunch too and then the KillaBeez who feel mistreated, or left out are gonna get hurt etcetc? It'll just go off track. Not even 9th Prince is mentioned in this doc and he's RZA bro too. So this was strictly Wu Generals documentary. Yes it would have been good to learn about the Killabeez but we cant get it all. And who knows how much footage was cut down and edited? It was probably natural flow in conversation that RZA or someone would mention the Killabeez too though. So I think they just decided to keep it strictly in the Wu generals circle .

Quote Originally Posted by LordReveal View Post
    But the 5% is not a religion LOL. We are anti-religion. And one of our main precepts is “take nothing at face value”... we pride ourselves in “doing the Knowledge” (to look, listen, observe as well as respect...but also to RESEARCH EVERYTHING. Including the Knowledge that we are given within the 5%...this aint a chirch where u walk in and they force u to believe something. We dont deal with belief...we deal with actual facts). We consider ourselves somewhat of scientists (hence our saying “whats the science”) because what does a scientist do? A scientist does research and tests certain theories out...and if the theory cannot be proven, we disqualify it and it remains just that...a theory. Again, we deal with ACTUAL FACTS and the study of LIFE. We dont deal with anything that exists outside of the 5 senses of sight, sound, smell, breath and touch. That is why we study these things...the speed of sound (1,120 feet per second), the speed of light (186,000 miles per second), ect ect. It is called the Knowledge Of Self for a reason... because we must know our SELF first (our bio-chemical make-up) before we master all other things. PEACE...I hope I have provided u with a clearer and broader understanding.
    What about what I said before about the 5%? Do a study and actually prove that its 5%, 10% and 85% otherwise its not scientific and its just a theory.

The 120 lessons contain things that are not backed up by any historical evidence. Its fine if you want to take it as a philosophy, but not everybody is that discerning.

Shaolin Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rawticus View Post
    I think we are going too deep here. Don't you think if RZA mentioned those others, the rest of the clan gonna wana promote their bunch too and then the KillaBeez who feel mistreated, or left out are gonna get hurt etcetc? It'll just go off track. Not even 9th Prince is mentioned in this doc and he's RZA bro too. So this was strictly Wu Generals documentary. Yes it would have been good to learn about the Killabeez but we cant get it all. And who knows how much footage was cut down and edited? It was probably natural flow in conversation that RZA or someone would mention the Killabeez too though. So I think they just decided to keep it strictly in the Wu generals circle .
    Fair point makes a lot of sense.
    Even if they had the time to fit it in, I think Rza would want to downplay the influence and contribution Brooklyn has had on the Wu. There was a big family behind the Wu, assisting in their welfare and success. They have to simplify their story for the documentary's narrative I guess.
    Last edited by Mythrandir; 06-04-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

They did have killa beez in there, the God of them all! C.ilv-arijgs!!!

Aint that a bitch though? That out of all them greats, I got in there, solidifying my villain legacy in Wu history while getting more airtime than MastaKilla and Killah Priest's interview being cut like MJ from his high school bball team.

Life aint fair. At least get Remedy in there or someone, shiiiit.

There's probably a good chance of a Blu-Ray release with bonus footage that might cover the Killa Beez stuff.

Peace CT

Actually Remedy is in there. During one of Deck’ s studio scenes. Peace

Oh yeah you right. Damn what a sight. Deck and the Trump voting executive. Well that explains the sentiment.

Cilvaringz, do your family like you?

SuPreme of Sunz of Man was in a scene with Divine too

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Cilvaringz, do your family like you?
    "does".... not "do" you euro cac. And no they dont. Nobody likes me