Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ad Astra (2019 Brad Pitt Space Movie Trailer)

Default Ad Astra (2019 Brad Pitt Space Movie Trailer)

Looks promising. Honestly most of my favorite Sci-Fi and Space movies are from the last 10 years, hopefully this is another addition to the list.

will definitely watch

I gotta go see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    I gotta go see this.
    Are you asking me out?

Popcorn's on me.

{>____<}

I've read that this is a pretty solid film. I'll watch it this weekend. Solid cast btw.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

{>____<}

Brad Pitt is the Spaceman. There it is.

This film is spectacular in every way. Great film! I'm open for discussion if anyone's interested.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    Brad Pitt is the Spaceman. There it is.

This film is spectacular in every way. Great film! I'm open for discussion if anyone's interested.
    thanks for the feedback. it's still on my list, for October. Was gonna go see this with a buddy (a writer of SF short stories) but he wasn't too sure about the movie. Def gonna watch it now, with or without him. I'll post my own thoughts here afterwards

People have described the plot as Apocalypse Now in space (but obviously not as good). I'll definitely see it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Popcorn's on me.
    Sorry I went without you.

Absolutely brilliant movie. Tied with Once Upon a Time in the West for this years best movies.

Don't go in expecting a blockbuster like Gravity, because the pace is a bit slower, and you won't be disappointed.

De mijne is 4x duurder!

gravity was fast paced? lol

Gravity is like 1 hr 25 mins, there are like 2-3 scenes in the whole film that aren't action. Love that film.

Oh yeah nothing against Gravity.

Finally got around to seeing it. Definitely a good movie, but not the greatest movie about / in space for me personally. Why? Imo the movie deals with a father/son relationship mostly. in a way this relationship is portrayed via the road movie concept, only in this case the participants are not traveling together. these are the reasons I think this movie could have been situated in any region (anywhere on planet earth, for example), with a long trip in it. as a space enthusiast I was very mildly let down by this.

Pitt is as good in this as he is in 'once upon a time in hollywood', only here he rightfully goes for the less is more approach that suits this movie. it's hard to discuss tommy lee jones' acting here without revealing anything about the plot. he did well imo.

Other things I liked about it : for a space movie it's quite a small movie in its proportions, kind of like an art house movie. due to its theme? on the other hand, that vibe kind of jars with some of the action scenes to me. after I watched the movie I read interviews with both Pitt and director James Gray. Gray says it took him and others a year and a half to streamline the movie after it was shot (scoring, montage etc). I can see why. Gray has a pedigree of movies about family relationships. only his previous movie 'The lost city of Z' (2017, didn't watch it) was a 'big' movie with, as he tells it in the interview, action scenes. it's not that easy to put these two different types of themes / movie genres together.

I was captivated by the story most of the time but I gotta admit that during the last few minutes of the movie I drifted off thinking about work, which is not a good sign lol.

Comparing this to recent space movies I'd say : 'Interstellar' tops both this movie and 'gravity'. (I liked 'Gravity', by the way.) 'Interstellar' just deals with more topics imo. space was also a 'necessary canvas' for both 'Interstellar' and 'Gravity', not so much for 'Ad Astra'

I can see where the 'Apocalypse Now' / 'Heart of Darkness' comparisons come from but I think both that Vietnam war movie and the Joseph Conrad novel dealt with that specific topic in a more thorough way

The '2001 Space Odyssey' comparison is too much praise for 'Ad Astra' imo. I don't really see the connection between both movies.

So yeah, a good watch definitely with some great acting, but maybe I expected a bit too much going in.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 10-12-2019 at 07:30 AM.