Thread: NY Times gasps at 'peculiarly Dutch/Belgian summer rite for kids'

Default NY Times gasps at 'peculiarly Dutch/Belgian summer rite for kids'

'Children let loose in the night woods'

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/21/world/europe/netherlands-dropping-children.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

This activity is called a 'dropping' in Dutch. Yeah, let that sinks in for a minute.

A young Hal Incandenza went on many of these droppings.

This part of the story could have happened on my watch :
    Another report surfaced in 2017, when scout leaders in Belgium dropped 25 children in the woods, then drank a number of beers and fell asleep, leaving the children wandering in the forest after their appointed pickup time. The campers finally rang someone’s doorbell and got a ride.

As is stated in the article the Dutch (and Belgians) are surprised to find out 'droppings' are not a regular part of youth movement activities in a lot of other western cultures. Same goes for me. The NY Times references 'helicopter parenting' in the US and the overall tone of the article makes it sound like no American parent right in his mind would even think of having his child go on one of these droppings ... but I highly doubt that. Surely this mind set is limited to big city people?

Do you have any kind of activity in your US state, in the UK or wherever you are from that resembles anything like the one described in the article?

I imagine some of you were dropped in the woods as a kid by your parents, spent days in green hell eating berries with the wrong color, munching on magical shrooms that triggered Eddie Vedder's 'Into the Wild' score in your buh-rain, finally stumbled onto a big ass computer operating on Windows 95 in a wood clearing next to a snake pond where a man identifying himself only as 'Corey Woods, humbly at your service' baptized you in holy water. said individual then logged you onto his favorite forum, which you are now still reporting from.

HELP IS ON THE WAY.

Is this a real thing?

It sounds nuts, leaving your kids in the forest at night to fend for themselves. I mean you're going to feel like a piece of shit if the kid is found floating in the river days later.

sounds like some molester shit

helicopter parents should not have kids. they're raising a bunch of pussies that will turn out to be adult tsas'. sjw parents are more concerned that their kids might run into a 'racist' bear or a 'sexist' moose in the woods.

by the way, the new york times is garbage in general

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Is this a real thing?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by TSA
    sounds like some molester shit
    thank you

Lol I've been on a couple of these as a kid.
    It's usually fairly sizeable groups that go out in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by brock View Post
    helicopter parents should not have kids. they're raising a bunch of pussies that will turn out to be adult tsas'. sjw parents are more concerned that their kids might run into a 'racist' bear or a 'sexist' moose in the woods.
    hahaha

are you a racist bear, brock?

Banned

Let the low country people do low country things.

Like life lessons, summers in Rangoon, meat helmets in the fall and ritualistic shaving of testicles.

I've done this. We got proper lost and we walked for fucking hours. Probably in circles. A police search team had to get us. To this day I still don't get what the point of that shit was.
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SonicRingz View Post
    Don't tell me it was an Italian American who invented the spray on lawn

It looks like hydro seed. It’s just another way of seeding a lawn. Water and hose sold separately.